PDA

View Full Version : Snow Removal Question

Ducke
08-12-2011, 08:47 PM
I am going to do some snow removal this winter.
Nothing big or fancy, Just my 28" cut 10hp snow blower and some shovels.
I am going after seniors mostly so I don't have to be there at 2 in the morning to clear them out. most seniors are in no hurry to go to work or anything.
I am thinking of charging $25.00-$45.00 depending on size and difficulty.
Dose anyone else do this ? Am I in the ball park with this range ?

Graham

Liberty Landscaping LLC
08-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Ducke
It all depends on how long and wide the driveway is and how much sidewalk they have. In NJ I charge people about 40-60 each depending the corner houses are more because they have A LOT more sidewalk to deal with. I would say your prices seem reasonable.
If you are doing it for your business MAKE SURE YOU ADD IT TO YOUR INSURANCE! I haven't had an issue yet but I have heard horrible stories about law suits. Esp if it is a business property.

Hedgemaster
08-12-2011, 09:20 PM
I did a little snow removal last winter. I wasn't sure how to charge people either, but I was charging $35 for a drive the width of a two car garage that was about 2-3 car lengths long.
Add $ to do sidewalk/steps.
Add $ to apply ice melt.
Add $ if snow is over "x" inches deep.

I have a 26" two stage I bought new last winter. Great for deep stuff, but we rarely get enough accumulation to justify using it, so I was thinking of getting a small, single stage thrower... and I did - for $15 from one of my clients who was going to put it out at a garage sale.

Now is the time to put the bug in your client's ears about snow removal services. Even if THEY don't need you, they may know someone who does.

brian'slawncare
08-12-2011, 11:13 PM
is there an advantage between snow blowers and plows?

Hedgemaster
08-13-2011, 12:08 AM
is there an advantage between snow blowers and plows?

I'm no expert, but aren't plows pretty much useless in a small driveway?
Kinda' need to have a starting point and a place to push all the snow to.

Like every piece of equipment, there are advantages and disadvantages to each.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
08-13-2011, 01:25 AM
I have a couple of people who would rather I use my plow because as I always say I am lazy and I charge less to use the plow then to use the blower one don't have to deal with the cold and weather and two it's a lot faster. You back drag it out of the driveway and then push it up on the curb/grass. I have people with large long driveways that are about 500ft+ long. I just turn my blade to the side go one way turn around and go the other way going out pretty much pushing it to the sides. I charge more to do salt/deicing. I have two 2 stage and two 1 stage blowers. I throw the single stage in the back of my bronco which I use to do my relatives houses and neighbors I really like then help out my crews. I think single stages are a lot better personally if the snow isn't more then 8 inches it's the way to go. Otherwise we need trailers for the 2 stages one is a 26" the other is a 28".

Steve
08-15-2011, 12:56 PM
I did a little snow removal last winter. I wasn't sure how to charge people either, but I was charging $35 for a drive the width of a two car garage that was about 2-3 car lengths long.

How do you feel this all went? Would you do the same thing again or would you like to change the way you performed the job and billed it for next winter?