PDA

View Full Version : Truck front end wobble at high speeds.

Bobcat1
08-11-2011, 09:11 PM
My truck doesn't like to drive faster than 55 or the front end starts to wobble.

I lifted the front end and grabbed the tire at 9pm and 3pm position and tried to push it in and pull it out.

I found the front end to be loose. So I am gonna replace the tie rods to see if that fixes it.

bruces
08-11-2011, 11:34 PM
why not get a buddy to push and pull on the vehicle while you get underneath and see whats actually worn out ? theres usually a lot more than just tie rods that can make your front end loose ,no sense in wasting money changing random parts .

Steve
08-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Couldn't loose ball joints cause a wobble as well?

picframer
08-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Couldn't loose ball joints cause a wobble as well?

Yes, could be the pitman arm, steering box.....a host of issues, the most dangerous IMHO would be the ball joints, very easy to check and if it is, I would park the truck until it's fixed.

XtreemGreen
08-12-2011, 07:23 PM
More than likely its the upper and/or the lower ball joints and the tie rod ends..Of course it also depends if its rack and pinion steering or not..

layton_brian
08-12-2011, 08:34 PM
you should tell us what kind of truck u have

Steve
08-15-2011, 12:54 PM
very easy to check and if it is, I would park the truck until it's fixed.

How do you check for bad ball joints? Do you grab the tire on top and bottom and push and pull, feeling for play? Similar to the way you feel for steering play but just at different positions?

picframer
08-15-2011, 02:33 PM
How do you check for bad ball joints? Do you grab the tire on top and bottom and push and pull, feeling for play? Similar to the way you feel for steering play but just at different positions?

Block the tires, brake on etc.

Jack up one side of the truck so that the wheel clears the ground, cut a 6 X 6 long enough to stand upright from the ground to the end of the lower control arm, ease the jack down to put pressure on the block, not completely down, grab the wheel, have someone watch the top and bottom ball joint, wiggle the tire one hand at 12 o'clock one at 6, you will know within seconds.

Tie Rods, get a pair of channel lock pliers and squeeze the joint, if it moves, it needs to be replaced.

Also depends on the truck, some have king pins which is a different animal, found on Fords etc.

For all it costs, if you are not sure, as with anything get a professional to do it.

Steve
08-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Tie Rods, get a pair of channel lock pliers and squeeze the joint, if it moves, it needs to be replaced.

That is a very interesting method! When you say if it moves, are you saying the joint should not compress? Or what kind of movement are you meaning?

jasonw
08-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Everyone missed the easy fix. I use to work at a tire place, I have seen cars wobble bad between 50-65mph when the front tires are out of balance. Have that checked first,

bruces
08-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Jason ,the op clearly states " I lifted the front end and grabbed the tire at 9pm and 3pm position and tried to push it in and pull it out.

I found the front end to be loose " .Tire balance usually doesnt come into play with the truck on the jack .

jasonw
08-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Jason ,the op clearly states " I lifted the front end and grabbed the tire at 9pm and 3pm position and tried to push it in and pull it out.

I found the front end to be loose " .Tire balance usually doesnt come into play with the truck on the jack .

I understand that but the front end is lose on my truck as well, I had the front end rebuilt on my car just before donating it as it was loose as well and nether of them ever had a problem with the front end wobbling. He should pull off tie tires and get them balanced, most places now will do that for free before spending the time and money to rebuild some thing that may not be necisary.