PDA

View Full Version : PTO Clutch slipping

Fisher
08-10-2011, 06:28 PM
It seems our clutch is slipping on one of our newest machines which has less than 100hrs on it. It seemed as if it was completely out of service. I started checking out the switch and everything was fine there. I checked the fuses and wire harness. What I found there was that the wiring just before it clips into the clutch had apparently been repaired before by us, and the red wire was exposed with the insulation either rubbed or burned off from resting against the assembly.

I replaced the wiring there and still had no engagement. I then tried a bypass to see if it was in the switch in the assembly itself, nothing happened. I put it all back together and try it out one more time and it worked fine.

Today, it had a chance to be used, and I'm told that it slipped a few times. I was also told that moving the control arms in and out a little seemed to get it to re-engage. I don't believe these controls have any influence on the clutch.

Hoping WandF will chime in here.

What I do believe may have created the problem to begin with is the wiring that had been worn through, possibly creating a short and causing damage to the electronics inside the clutch. Another possible problem is oil, I notice the oil drain is very close to the clutch assembly and am not sure if it was all properly shielded when we serviced unit last. Would oil even a little making its way to the assembly cause clutch problems?

I have ordered a new clutch as I figure this is the quick solution. However, If I have to use it or not I would still like to repair the old one if it is worth it. Just need a little help to under stand what else it may be if not an electrical issue.

wandfsmall
08-10-2011, 10:37 PM
It seems our clutch is slipping on one of our newest machines which has less than 100hrs on it. It seemed as if it was completely out of service. I started checking out the switch and everything was fine there. I checked the fuses and wire harness. What I found there was that the wiring just before it clips into the clutch had apparently been repaired before by us, and the red wire was exposed with the insulation either rubbed or burned off from resting against the assembly.

I replaced the wiring there and still had no engagement. I then tried a bypass to see if it was in the switch in the assembly itself, nothing happened. I put it all back together and try it out one more time and it worked fine.

Today, it had a chance to be used, and I'm told that it slipped a few times. I was also told that moving the control arms in and out a little seemed to get it to re-engage. I don't believe these controls have any influence on the clutch.

Hoping WandF will chime in here.

What I do believe may have created the problem to begin with is the wiring that had been worn through, possibly creating a short and causing damage to the electronics inside the clutch. Another possible problem is oil, I notice the oil drain is very close to the clutch assembly and am not sure if it was all properly shielded when we serviced unit last. Would oil even a little making its way to the assembly cause clutch problems?

I have ordered a new clutch as I figure this is the quick solution. However, If I have to use it or not I would still like to repair the old one if it is worth it. Just need a little help to under stand what else it may be if not an electrical issue.

well first off I need to know what I am working with what is your mower make and model?

I am not sure how conductive oil is but I have never ran across a short caused by oil on the clutch but it could cause it to slip damaging the clutch. I wonder if the problem is the clutch or the safety system though. I thought I had posted some instructions to test a clutch on here before... have you tested it?

Fisher
08-10-2011, 11:10 PM
I searched earlier for them and I'm about to again. I did test it though not from the information you had posted before.

I didn't mean to imply I believed the oil may be causing a short, rather I thought It may be possible for it to get into the clutch and affect the performance in another manner, possibly affecting the surface of the clutching mechanism. Though I must say if it was a surface issue it wouldn't come and go like it did.

Fisher
08-10-2011, 11:46 PM
OK, I found it and new I had read it some time back I just couldn't find it using the search. I did test it as described there all but the gap. I suppose that the gap may be the source of the problem (if not some internal issue) as it seems to be a problem that comes and goes and I'm sure this may be to heating and cooling putting the gap just far enough in and out again of the range listed.

Thanks, next time I'll search through your previous responses instead of trying the search bar and asking the same question from a month ago.

Fisher
08-11-2011, 12:11 AM
HUSQVARNA 539105406 is the part that I've ordered. I do not see any adjustment screws like in your previously posted diagram. I am assuming they may be hidden on the backside and just require removal to adjust them.

wandfsmall
08-11-2011, 07:56 AM
HUSQVARNA 539105406 is the part that I've ordered. I do not see any adjustment screws like in your previously posted diagram. I am assuming they may be hidden on the backside and just require removal to adjust them.

That is why I asked your model information not all clutches are the same. Sorry about not posting the info again last night, I did not have it on the computer I was using. You have a non adjustable clutch check the resistance across the clutch and post that. For some reason I think you have a safety problem not a clutch problem.

Fisher
08-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Well, this morning first thing I went ahead and pulled the clutch to check for adjustment. As you just posted here this morning it wasn't adjustable and every other reading seemed to be on target. Remembering you had mentioned the safety issue, I checked all other connections, cleaned and blew them out as well. Our parking brake safety seemed loose though it wasn't loose enough to keep the brake safety from working.

Anyhow, having done nothing special we went ahead and ran this machine as the primary machine today. We had no problems at all with it today. Since we didn't really do anything I'm sure it will act back up or maybe just the process of checking it all out was enough for us to make sure everything was secure and back where it should be. Now, at least once I do need a clutch for this machine I'll have one on hand.

Thanks for the help.