PDA

View Full Version : when to sharpen blades

caddy0291
08-09-2011, 08:43 AM
I now 20-25 residential lawns a week how often should I sharpen my blades, been mowing for 5 weeks now and just changed blades for first time the old ones I took off were very dull!!!

Sprinkler Buddy
08-09-2011, 01:55 PM
I now 20-25 residential lawns a week how often should I sharpen my blades, been mowing for 5 weeks now and just changed blades for first time the old ones I took off were very dull!!!

Blades last so much longer with regular sharpening. If your getting a dull curve in your blade before changing them, your not getting the life out of your blades as you should. Dull blades also makes your mower work a lot harder than it has too, shortening the life of it as well.

A clean cut on a grass blade is also better for the grass your cutting, not to mention it looks better too!

Steve
08-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Here are a couple of articles from my blog that might help.

Keep your lawn mower blades sharp. (http://lawnchat.com/?p=1059)

Sharper lawn mower blades allow for faster mowing! (http://lawnchat.com/?p=1119)

Blades last so much longer with regular sharpening.
How often do you sharpen yours?

Hedgemaster
08-09-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm curious too.

I was mowing one day and stopped to chat with a fellow who stated that he used to have his own lawn care business. He asked how often I sharpen my blade. At that point, the mower (Toro Super Recycler 21" push) was about a month old, and I had not yet sharpened it.

He told me he always carried a file with him, and would sharpen the blade before each job. "Before each job" seems like overkill and I have to wonder how quickly you lose the edge from taking off so much metal over time.

I've been using a file, and doing it maybe every 2 or three days, or when I see a nick in the edge.

If there is a better way, I'd appreciate some input.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
08-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Well I hate the sharpening stone on a drill so we stopped doing that in about week. Now we have 2 sets that we switch about every month to month and a half and sharpen them with a bench grinder. Be care full if you use a bench grinder can be dangerous.

We don't really know how else to do it. The more clients you have the more often you switch the blades out.

shadrach
08-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Doing about 40 lawns a week. I change blades on my main mower on a daily basis- have several sets that I sharpen weekly then change out as needed.
Grass will grow more evenly with sharper blades - it will look "freshly cut" longer. It is also much better for the grass when the weather gets dry - it will stay green a little bit longer (i.e. get more cuts). With duller blades the tips of the grass will turn and it will start to look dead/dormant.

http://www.colemanequip.com/parts/PartsAndSupplies/71986/
what I use to sharpen blades - its for use on metal but it is not as abrasive as grinding wheels. Only works because we use blades for a day & not taking very much metal off at a time. Will occasionally have to use a more aggressive wheel to get angle back to where it should be but that is only once every 6 or 7 times - blades last longer than just using a grinding wheel.

Johnny_boy02
08-09-2011, 10:41 PM
If I am doing dry, uneven, trashy foreclosed yards I change my blades at the end of that rotation so It could be 15, 25, 50 yards.

With my customers I change out the blades for sharp ones every couple days.

Ducke
08-10-2011, 05:49 PM
I change out or re-sharpen about every 30-40 hours.