PDA

View Full Version : Arins to Catapiller transformer

Ducke
08-07-2011, 08:22 PM
I told you all a while ago I was given an old Areins YT10 with a Honda 14hp
engine.
Well I finally got some time to mess with it a bit today.
It looks like 4 out of 5 days this week is rain so I maybe able to drop the rear end this week and have a go at it.
The plan is to UN-seize the rear-end and get the old Honda a thumping.
I am then going to paint it CAT Yellow with the black strip and get some Cat stickers for it.

Why do such a thing you ask? Just because I can.:D

*** You can see the other pictures here. http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=14369

B-2 Lawncare
08-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Nice I like to work on the stuff as well, I fin it satisfying to fix stuff. I see in your pic you have one of those canvas garage, how long have you had it? is it holding up? I was thinking about getting one for all of my seasonal equipment.

Ducke
08-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Well it rained here today and I mean it rain , So I spent the day working on my Tractor Project.
I dropped the drive train today and got it a part.
I soon discovered why it had stopped working, Grease and Water do not mix very well .
I have removed the gears and marked them so I can put them back in correctly.
The grease is thick like putty and the stuff is gummed up in between the gears.
I have been scooping it out and am going to have to soak everything over several days and then pressure wash them after.

Steve
08-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Isnt it amazing how some gummed up grease can really play havoc with a piece of equipment! How is it running now since the cleanup?

Ducke
08-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Isnt it amazing how some gummed up grease can really play havoc with a piece of equipment! How is it running now since the cleanup?

Still work in progress
I have everything soaking in parts cleaner right now but I am way behind here due to rain so looks like I will be working all weekend to get back on schedule.
I have a couple of question for on different topics but will have to post later.
Its late and I have a long day again tomorrow.
I will post pictures when I get ir all cleaned up.

night all
from a very sleep mower
Graham

Steve
08-12-2011, 01:20 PM
I am looking forwards to seeing what you do next!

Ducke
08-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Well I got the gear box all cleaned up this afternoon.
I had it soaking in parts cleaner all week,so I took the parts out today and pressure washed them.
I then detail cleaned with a brush and sprayed them with Fluid Film and dry fitted the gears,
I spend two hours spraying (Silicone lube) and tapping each gear to get them all to spin freely.
I now need to get some Gear grease to repack the case, which should be fun as they are not designed to be re-greased. There is no grease nipples so I think I will have to refill it via the shift lever hole.

Steve
08-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Can you put in a grease nipple with a drill and then thread the hole?

Ducke
08-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Can you put in a grease nipple with a drill and then thread the hole?

I not really sure if I want to mess with the cast Alum.
I am fearful of cracking it.
Been way to busy lately to do any work on it.
But I will keep you posted.

Steve
08-18-2011, 01:21 PM
I do wonder though if the grease has no where to escape, if it would be such a good idea to install one though.

Ducke
08-19-2011, 08:27 PM
I do wonder though if the grease has no where to escape, if it would be such a good idea to install one though.

I like the idea of a grease nipple and may talk to the guy that rebuilds our Stock Car Transmissions and see if he might be able to do it for me.

picframer
08-20-2011, 03:06 AM
I like the idea of a grease nipple and may talk to the guy that rebuilds our Stock Car Transmissions and see if he might be able to do it for me.

You don't really need it, unlike a vehicle the gears here move very, very slow and the grease you apply before putting it back together will be fine, use a good quality heavy grease and you will never have a problem. Back in my younger years I used to help my rother in law rebuild rear end's in large tractors, it's all we did, never an issue.

Ducke
08-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Well I have it back together but have a few issues.

The upper 1/2 of the system works goes from High to low very nicely
but the lower 1/2 is still not working, this being the main drive axles.
The axles will not turn so something must be out of alignment inside.
so I guess I will have to take it apart again and play with it.

Steve
08-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Before you seal it all up, can you twist the axle shaft at all to make sure it is turning properly or no?

Ducke
08-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Before you seal it all up, can you twist the axle shaft at all to make sure it is turning properly or no?

Yes I can turn the drive axles and make the whole thing move but it's not easy as everything has a tendency to want to jump out of the 1/2 casing.
Then when I put the upper casing on and tighten up the bolts I seem to loose the bottom half of the transmission. The drive pulley a and its connecting gears turn and I can engage High and Low gear but I can't seem to move the drive axles or get the gear shifter to engage any gears.
I think maybe the shifter fork is not aligning with the clutch collar once I put the two half together.
I am doing some reading when I can and some research on the net when I get a minute and will try again next rain day or if I find myself with some spare time .............:eek: hahahaha who am I kidding.
well it off to bed got a busy Tuesday ahead of me.

Graham

Steve
08-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Maybe something is not seated fully and when the cover is placed over it, it is binding somewhere?