PDA

View Full Version : grass clumping up

caddy0291
08-07-2011, 10:26 AM
I have an ariens zoom 42 and some customers are complaining bout thier grass clumps after I mow,now keep in mind I go over some of these yards 2 or 3 times and it still looks clumpy now these aint weekly customers these are customers that go 2 weeks then call me to cut there tall grass. Now my question is should I buy the muiching kit for this mower or should I try something else this is my first year and I have around 45 customers so any advice would be helpful!!!

Liberty Landscaping LLC
08-07-2011, 10:51 AM
I would say mulch kit/bagger....if it's that tall I would bag it. Otherwise rake/blow it into a pile and pick it up. You don't want to leave a bad impression the first year. That will spread faster then good things about you. I would rake/blow it into a pile and pick it up until you add a mulch kit or bagger to it. I mow this one woman's yard and I have mulching blades that leave very small clippings hard to even see but the previous LCO ruined that and she just wants it bagged. I couldn't even talk her into trying the mulch alone one time. Good luck let us know the outcome.

jymie
08-07-2011, 10:53 AM
I use a bungy cord and attach it to the chute so I can raise it up an inch or two, that spreads out the clipping over a larger area. Just make sure you are not pointing the chute towards flower beds, the house and vehicles in case a stone gets tossed.

shadrach
08-07-2011, 03:28 PM
How often do you sharpen blades?

jymie
08-07-2011, 03:41 PM
I sharpen my blades once then the next time I get new blades. Once I see the cut getting less than perfect is when I sharpen.

XtreemGreen
08-07-2011, 07:21 PM
I sharpen my blades once then the next time I get new blades. Once I see the cut getting less than perfect is when I sharpen.

Wow... If you have alot of customers, I bet your bill just for blades is ALOT...

XtreemGreen
08-07-2011, 07:24 PM
I have an ariens zoom 42 and some customers are complaining bout thier grass clumps after I mow,now keep in mind I go over some of these yards 2 or 3 times and it still looks clumpy now these aint weekly customers these are customers that go 2 weeks then call me to cut there tall grass. Now my question is should I buy the muiching kit for this mower or should I try something else this is my first year and I have around 45 customers so any advice would be helpful!!!

i would tell your customers the reason there are clumps, is because your cutting too much off the top..Either tell then it needs weekly or even try every 10 days..

You can also try making your first cut a high cut, then lower the deck on the second round, then your normal height on the third round..

Rodriguez11
08-07-2011, 09:30 PM
I do the same as jymie, seems to work well on taller grass areas. But def suggest more frequent mows or tell them it will cost more to bag and haul. You cant just mow the yard 2-3 passes and not be getting paid for the extra time involved. Holds you up from getting to other customers or just getting home sooner!

Hedgemaster
08-07-2011, 11:46 PM
I hate working for people who are too cheap to maintain a lawn properly, yet expect it to look perfect.

This is my first full season and already I am starting to not give a crap how the cheapo's lawn looks. I can only do so much with what I have to work with. (2-week tall, crappy grass) I'm not a freaking magician.

Mostly, I hate it because it reflects poorly on ME. I don't want the neighbors asking "Who cuts your lawn?" when what I'm forced to leave behind is not up to my standards. Next season, some of these people are going to be looking for another service.

Mattcrump
08-10-2011, 11:35 AM
If you guys are anything like me, I have started dropping the yards that are not profitable for me and that only want me cutting once or twice a month. I am not sure about everybody else but here in Alabama during a summer you cant let a yard go for more than two weeks without cutting it or you will be there for hours.

I simply tell my customers that if they want their yards to look nice then they have to take care of them and cant cut corners. I let them know up front that it will be more money per cut if it is not on a weekly schedule. They have to understand that if I don't raise my price then I make no profit to come cut their yard that is twice as high as it should be. It is also harder on my equipment and costs more in fuel. If they want some kid to come and play that game with them then they are more than welcome to do so but my company will only take on profitable business that will represent who we are.

In the middle of my first season and have already dropped about 10-12 clients who we realized we were wasting our time with. The customers we stay away from are the ones that are always asking for discounts or looking for ways to not spend money when it comes to your services. The good customers understand you are running an actual business and have to make a profit.

My advice would be to watch what type of new accounts you pick up and get rid of some of the accounts that are only costing you money and time.

mowman1970
08-10-2011, 12:06 PM

I would say first, to make sure your blades are sharp. Second, the problem may not be you. If they have an irrigation system, or are having a company come in and fertilize then, cutting it every 2 weeks is not going to work. This opens the door for you to show them the benefits of having it cut every week so that the clumping is not a problem. If you are cutting it 2 and 3 times to get it to look right, then you are giving them FREE work. Remember, time and gas cost, and they are trying to get by cheap.

limbwalker2002
08-10-2011, 12:07 PM
I guess this is where charging per hour works better in the end.

stevef1201
08-10-2011, 04:59 PM
I take care of what I call parttime customers (every two weeks) with this is the monthly price for you yard. They always ask how often do you cut, I say weekly. They say oh, how much to cut every two weeks, I gave them the same amount. They either take the wekly cuts or get someone else to hack up thier yard. BTW I average about 4 K per month, and do not have any sh-tty yards.