PDA

View Full Version : Client from down under.

SouthallMowing
08-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Since I finally got the equipment, and started a business this year, I gained more clients. However, I have my first client ever, (4 years ago) that she pays me 23.00 for her 100x100 lot. I'd normally charge $25 if I didn't have to push any of it, and if no fences, and not a ton of trimming. Week after week, she complains about my quality. All of my clients say that I'm the best they've had since they've lived in Waverly. But this woman, no. I'm terrible. So I made her a deal. I got her to hire another company for a one time mowing. They charged her $43.78 for it. (which in waverly is ridiculous). and they tore her yard up, and did a terrible trimming job. I'm not being biased at all, cause they've given me clients they didn't want, and they don't take mine. She agreed they did terrible. So I continued to mow just like normal, she laid off for about 3 weeks. Then BOOM, I'm doing a bad job. So, I call the "Best" guy in Waverly to come and do it, I pay out of my pocket for it. 35.00. He did a good job, except, he didn't trim half of it. So she finally realized "oh hey, this kid is pretty good." Does anyone else have people like this? (by the way, the $35 was worth it, it got her to shut up. :P )

shadrach
08-05-2011, 10:15 PM
The less they pay the more likely they are to complain.

Steve
08-06-2011, 12:12 AM
WOW! Great story!

What kinds of things had she complained about?

Also

So I made her a deal. I got her to hire another company for a one time mowing. They charged her $43.78 for it. (which in waverly is ridiculous).

How did you present this to her?

SouthallMowing
08-06-2011, 10:34 PM
WOW! Great story!

What kinds of things had she complained about?

Also

How did you present this to her?

She complained about my trimming job, saying it wasn't cut back enough. But her landscaping is mulch, then grass. No edge to it, so if I trim too hard, mulch goes everywhere. She also complained that I didn't mow it the right direction. She ALWAYS wants it the same direction, and from my 5 years experience, you do that and you get RUTS, and DEAD grass from (I think) the compacted dirt not letting roots grow. Not sure about that one. But still, c'mon.

I asked her if she wanted me to find someone else for her. She said yes, like an idiot. So I did, I called the place, told them to go give her an estimate, didn't say who I was, they didn't ask (HUGE mistake I think). and she accepted it as a one time service, then she'd go from that.

I just wanted a nice way to drop her, without leaving her without a cut lawn. Cause she's not able to do it herself. It's hard for her to get out and water her flowers.

XtreemGreen
08-07-2011, 07:29 PM
I think she was getting her $23 worth..Now raise your price to $35 a cut...You just showed her you do better quality then the other 2 did at a higher price..If she wont budge, then drop her..

SouthallMowing
08-07-2011, 10:30 PM
nah, I'll keep her with 23.00 for now. Next year I'm going to hopefully still have my "employee" and we're going to get 20 or 30 clients. If I can get one that will make the profits of hers, she's gone. I just don't know how to nicely drop a client. any help?

XtreemGreen
08-07-2011, 10:52 PM
"Dear Client,
As of 09/15/2011 we will no longer be maintaining your property"..and add whatever you need to after that..

Steve
08-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Also keep your eyes open for other start up companies that you could throw business their way. You could easily tell her that you are no longer servicing that specific area because of the way your route has changed but you found another local lawn care professional to take over.

SouthallMowing
08-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Also keep your eyes open for other start up companies that you could throw business their way. You could easily tell her that you are no longer servicing that specific area because of the way your route has changed but you found another local lawn care professional to take over.

Only way I can put this, but, no one has the balls to start a lawn care business in Waverly. The other companies report them for dumb stuff. like, not putting a cone out, parking 7 inches out from the curb instead of 6, not enough straping on the equipment, etc. Next year's gunna be a tough one for me, cause then I'll be 18, and then they will be after me. But the service area thing to drop her, she's my next door neighbor. :P

Steve
08-08-2011, 03:32 PM
But the service area thing to drop her, she's my next door neighbor

Oh no hahahahhahahah. Well, you might have to do this job for a while to come LOL and chalk it all up as a learning experience :)

no one has the balls to start a lawn care business in Waverly. The other companies report them for dumb stuff. like, not putting a cone out, parking 7 inches out from the curb instead of 6, not enough straping on the equipment, etc.

Report them to who and what results happen?

SouthallMowing
08-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Oh no hahahahhahahah. Well, you might have to do this job for a while to come LOL and chalk it all up as a learning experience :)

Report them to who and what results happen?

I'm not sure. I know one place used granular fert, and they didn't have a commercial Applicator's license, and they reported them to ODA (Ohio Dept. of Agriculture). They got a citation for it. But as for the cones and stuff, I'm not sure. I don't talk to them, except when we are at a job next to eachother.

I put a cone down when I put the back gate down on my trailer, and then I have the front covered with these.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oiFx9xnZ6g

Steve
08-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Nice job with all the lights! Do you have volunteer rescue squads in your area? Do they use blue lights? Maybe you could get on one of those and add some more lights :)

Also, do you know if you need a permit for amber lights in your community? Some areas require that.

SouthallMowing
08-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Nice job with all the lights! Do you have volunteer rescue squads in your area? Do they use blue lights? Maybe you could get on one of those and add some more lights :)

Also, do you know if you need a permit for amber lights in your community? Some areas require that.

Squads, yeah, they use Red and White.

Do I need a permit for amber? Negative. Amber strobe lights are 100% LEGAL in Ohio without a permit IF: You are blocking a roadway or operating in hazardous conditions. When parked or backing up, I am blocking the roadway. (no painted parallel parking lines). and you can't go run down the road with them on. Only if you are going too slow. Clear, Red, and Blue are ILLEGAL in Ohio for non emergency vehicles.

I volunteer down at the PD, and it's been brought up a billion times.

As for certain cities (Cleveland, Toledo, Columbus, etc) they may have ordinances making them illegal. But In Waverly, Ohio they are legal

Steve
08-12-2011, 02:31 PM
That is great you have looked into the laws regarding this. Nice job.