PDA

View Full Version : 8 reasons why DoodyCalls is a perfect add-on business for lawn care services

DoodyCalls Franchises
08-03-2011, 04:20 PM
For owners of lawn care services, DoodyCalls is a perfect add-on business that can provide you with a new source of revenue. Additionally, because pet waste removal is a natural extension of the services already provided, adding it to the company’s operations has minimal impact on the way business is already being done.

Here are eight reasons why DoodyCalls is a perfect addition to many lawn care businesses:

Pet waste removal is a simple service to provide. You walk the customer’s yard, scoop the poop into a bag, dispose of the waste, then clean your tools. No special expertise is needed.

DoodyCalls is a successful and well-known brand. As a business owner, you know how important it is to build a brand locally. With systems, support and a large and growing collection of professionally designed marketing materials, we make branding easier and more effective.

Low barriers to entry and minimal startup costs. Apart from a truck (which you already have), the only pieces of equipment you need are dust pans, rakes and garbage bags.

Easy integration. The beauty of integrating a franchise is that you don’t have to start from scratch. Instead, you get an already developed business concept, support system and brand. With DoodyCalls, you’re adding a revenue stream, not a headache.

You have customers today. The people who hire a lawn care service are the same ones who hire a pet waste removal service. If you have clients with dogs, you’re practically in business already.

Seasonality control. The peak season for pet waste removal services is the late fall through early spring, when demand for many lawn care services tends to slow down.

As an industry, this type of lawn service is experiencing major gains in 2011. The Wall Street Journal published a great report on the topic recently, titled: “This Business Grows Every Time Fido Does His” (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703385404576259120414216488.html)

Our 2011 Commitment to Marketing campaign. Starting this year, during the first twelve months of opening your DoodyCalls franchise, we will reimburse you up to $12,500 for advertising and promotional expenses (http://franchising.doodycalls.com/?p=511).

Do you have a lawn care business that could use an additional revenue stream? Take a look around our franchising site (http://franchising.doodycalls.com/) to learn about the DoodyCalls franchise opportunity. When you’re ready to talk, just let us know – we’re always happy to speak with entrepreneurs about franchise integration.

To get in touch, you can reach Paul Martell, our Director of Franchise Recruitment, by phone at 603-746-2056 or by email at pmartell@doodycalls.com. You can also request more information here (http://www.doodycalls.com/franchise_opportunities_info.asp).

shadrach
08-03-2011, 05:08 PM
42k plus 9% seems a bit much.

Ducke
08-03-2011, 09:38 PM
For owners of lawn care services, DoodyCalls is a perfect add-on business that can provide you with a new source of revenue. Additionally, because pet waste removal is a natural extension of the services already provided, adding it to the company’s operations has minimal impact on the way business is already being done.

Here are eight reasons why DoodyCalls is a perfect addition to many lawn care businesses:

Pet waste removal is a simple service to provide. You walk the customer’s yard, scoop the poop into a bag, dispose of the waste, then clean your tools. No special expertise is needed.

DoodyCalls is a successful and well-known brand. As a business owner, you know how important it is to build a brand locally. With systems, support and a large and growing collection of professionally designed marketing materials, we make branding easier and more effective.

Low barriers to entry and minimal startup costs. Apart from a truck (which you already have), the only pieces of equipment you need are dust pans, rakes and garbage bags.

Easy integration. The beauty of integrating a franchise is that you don’t have to start from scratch. Instead, you get an already developed business concept, support system and brand. With DoodyCalls, you’re adding a revenue stream, not a headache.

You have customers today. The people who hire a lawn care service are the same ones who hire a pet waste removal service. If you have clients with dogs, you’re practically in business already.

Seasonality control. The peak season for pet waste removal services is the late fall through early spring, when demand for many lawn care services tends to slow down.

As an industry, this type of lawn service is experiencing major gains in 2011. The Wall Street Journal published a great report on the topic recently, titled: “This Business Grows Every Time Fido Does His” (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703385404576259120414216488.html)

Our 2011 Commitment to Marketing campaign. Starting this year, during the first twelve months of opening your DoodyCalls franchise, we will reimburse you up to $12,500 for advertising and promotional expenses (http://franchising.doodycalls.com/?p=511).

Do you have a lawn care business that could use an additional revenue stream? Take a look around our franchising site (http://franchising.doodycalls.com/) to learn about the DoodyCalls franchise opportunity. When you’re ready to talk, just let us know – we’re always happy to speak with entrepreneurs about franchise integration.

To get in touch, you can reach Paul Martell, our Director of Franchise Recruitment, by phone at 603-746-2056 or by email at pmartell@doodycalls.com. You can also request more information here (http://www.doodycalls.com/franchise_opportunities_info.asp).

I don't want to sound funny but I have to watch what I type here but this job sound Pretty Crappy (I said it would sound funny). Why would anyone want to pick up dog crap for a living ???
I'm sorry but times would really have to be bad to get up every day and enjoy going to work.

Fisher
08-03-2011, 10:16 PM
42k plus 9% seems a bit much.

On top of that you have to provide your own dustpan and garbage bags. With this being a "natural extension" of the work we already do for the name we've already built or are building for ourselves, I just don't see myself buying into a franchise who's name will shadow my own. I also believe that if it were a service that we offered that we would only more sensibly offer it on our own as an additional service and even be enabled to do it at a lower cost for a few simple reasons.

1) I'm already there performing a service that has paid for the trip there.

2) I don't like running over the waste anyhow, would almost rather just clean up a little before hand if I had to than to do it after weed eating through it.

3) We aren't stuck with a debt of 42K to have to recover as well as the 9%. Which for me would be better spent on leaf clean up equipment like an Sc-25 Yard Mule and enough left over to pick up a decent Trac Vac though they don't come with dust pans either.

I have a few more reasons as well. Not to knock it as I see guys out there that do nothing but this service, and for a one man crew (other than your fees here) I bet he clears more after overhead and all than a one man LCO.

I am curious now about insurance requirements for such a venture and believe I'll ask my agent how much a rider for this service would run.

DoodyCalls Franchises
08-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Why would anyone want to pick up dog crap for a living ???

You know.. that's a question we get a lot.

Truth is - the majority of our franchise owners don't scoop poop at all. They hire employees to handle the scooping aspect of the operation while they focus on company building/management.

Quite a few of our franchisees own and operate multiple businesses - lawn care, junk removal, residential construction, moulding, moving trucks.. just to name a few. To them, DoodyCalls is an additional revenue stream. They hire employees, utilize the support systems and work to automate the business.

Steve
08-04-2011, 02:04 PM
When you are working with a business owner who already has a lawn care business up and running, what is the best way for them to integrate the Doody Calls Franchise in with their business?

Is it best that they have another vehicle with the graphics all done up for the pet waste removal? Or do they transfer their current lawn care truck and equipment set up to include the graphics of your system?

DoodyCalls Franchises
08-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Ultimately, it depends on the individual & the business they currently have running.. Ideally, it's best to manage the two as separate - but overlapping - entities that leverage each other to optimize the entire operation.

If possible, it's best to have a dedicated truck for DoodyCalls. There are two reasons for this:

First, the truck is a remarkably effective moving billboard. We attract more customers with our trucks than we do from any other marketing method (and we do a lot of promo activities). Those are new clients calling because of DoodyCalls and they're ripe for the upselling of lawn services after the fact.

Secondly, while the clientele between services is very similar and there will certainly be customers who want both services, there will also undoubtedly be customers who only want one or the other. It would be a poor allocation of resources to send a truck, trailer & crew to scoop a yard when all of those resources are not necessary.

Again, it really depends on how the individual wants to operate.

Both lawn care & pet waste removal are sustainable businesses all on their own, but there's a lot of opportunity with the overlap.

Johnny_boy02
08-04-2011, 07:56 PM
I don't want to sound funny but I have to watch what I type here but this job sound Pretty Crappy (I said it would sound funny). Why would anyone want to pick up dog crap for a living ???
I'm sorry but times would really have to be bad to get up every day and enjoy going to work.

I started as a pet waste removal service and added lawn care because customers asked me to.

As for why I started a business. My love of animals and money, a home, a car, being my own boss, it is year round, etc. It is a low stress low impact job that if you plan correctly you can easily make $50.00+ an hour. The overhead is low and the start up costs are pretty much nothing.

Now why would you want to add this to your lawn care business? Because you you can increase you service cost by $9-13 for five extra minutes of work.

But hey man ride that high horse all the way to fall/ winter when lawn work slows down. I will be out there working with a smile on my face all thanks to dog ****.

Johnny_boy02
08-04-2011, 08:00 PM
I am curious now about insurance requirements for such a venture and believe I'll ask my agent how much a rider for this service would run.

Like I said above I started as pet waste removal and added lawn care.

My insurance didnt know how to classify me so they put under lawn service. So I am assuming the cost would be near the same.

Ducke
08-04-2011, 08:23 PM
I started as a pet waste removal service and added lawn care because customers asked me to.

As for why I started a business. My love of animals and money, a home, a car, being my own boss, it is year round, etc. It is a low stress low impact job that if you plan correctly you can easily make $50.00+ an hour. The overhead is low and the start up costs are pretty much nothing.

Now why would you want to add this to your lawn care business? Because you you can increase you service cost by $9-13 for five extra minutes of work.

But hey man ride that high horse all the way to fall/ winter when lawn work slows down. I will be out there working with a smile on my face all thanks to dog ****.

I still wouldn't Shovel Sh!t for any money.
I have way more work then I can handle now and as for winter I'll be smiling sitting in my toasty warm house while someone else scoops Frozen Crap.

besides if I wanted to shovel Sh!t i would have gone into Politics.:D

shadrach
08-04-2011, 09:13 PM

Is this something you do as a once a week service? more often? less often?

Johnny_boy02
08-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Is this something you do as a once a week service? more often? less often?

99% of the time it is once a week. I have a couple customers with 4 dogs so I go twice a week. It costs more of course.

The two business really do go hand in hand, it is just one more thing to "up sell" . Nothing against the DoodyCalls, they are a huge very successful nationwide company but if you are one man company like me it does not make sense to franchise.

If you are lawn/ landscaping company with multiple crews, a good reputation
and live in decent sized city it would make sense to hire a guy, buy a truck and offer this service. Again I dont think it makes sense to franchise since you will already have the skills to bill, schedule, etc.

monoshock
08-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Think I'll make up my own company name for this service.

Sh1tter-Getters :p

Fisher
08-04-2011, 11:20 PM
I can see adding this service as like I mentioned before I'm sure the profits are better than basic lawn care services. I just can't see buying into a franchise to offer it.

Fisher
08-04-2011, 11:24 PM
I still wouldn't Shovel Sh!t for any money.
I have way more work then I can handle now and as for winter I'll be smiling sitting in my toasty warm house while someone else scoops Frozen Crap.

besides if I wanted to shovel Sh!t i would have gone into Politics.:D

Ducke, that's when you hire someone. One man and a small vehicle while you are sitting home warm or doing something different would probably net you an extra $20 per labor hr and all you have to do is the paper work.

Really, how hard would it be to screw a job like that up.

DoodyCalls Franchises
08-05-2011, 11:49 AM
The two business really do go hand in hand, it is just one more thing to "up sell" . Nothing against the DoodyCalls, they are a huge very successful nationwide company but if you are one man company like me it does not make sense to franchise.

If you are lawn/ landscaping company with multiple crews, a good reputation
and live in decent sized city it would make sense to hire a guy, buy a truck and offer this service. Again I dont think it makes sense to franchise since you will already have the skills to bill, schedule, etc.

@Johnny is correct. Franchising isn't necessarily a great fit for everyone. It really comes down to how the individual wants to run their operation.

The primary draw of a franchise - be it DoodyCalls or any other franchise in any industry - are the systems and support. Now, that may sound like a hokey cliché, but in reality, there's a lot more to it.

For the sake of conversation, let's say you have a lawn care company and you decide to add on scooping services. Chances are, you'll be able to upsell a pretty high percentage of your current pet-owning customers. You've just increased the value of your existing customer base in no time flat - and that's great news.

But unless you're actively (and effectively) marketing the service in your local area, how many new clients are you pulling in?

Pet waste removal is a market in and of itself. There are potential clients - both residential and commercial, mind you - who have not called you for the services you currently provide, but who may be prompted to call for pet waste removal. (Naturally, many of these clients can be converted, but it's the poop scooping that made them want to get to know you first.)

The systems and support of a franchise system - DoodyCalls in this case - help you grow that customer base far more effectively than you can on your own. We didn't become the largest pet waste removal company in the US because we know how to scoop poop better than anyone else. We got to where we are because we know how to attract customers and build strong local businesses.

Every DoodyCalls franchise benefits from and has full access to:

- A large and growing collection of professionally designed marketing materials
- Tested marketing & business development plans
- Advanced scheduling, route management and invoicing systems
- Training, plans and materials for landing commercial accounts
- In-house public relations support, including PR campaigns in your local market (our PR team is really good, too - see for yourself: http://doodycalls.com/about_doodycalls_media.asp)
- Our Sales & Customer Care Center

To elaborate on that last point, our Sales & Customer Care Center is one of the greatest support systems we provide to our franchisees. The team is available seven days a week so that your clients can always call 1-800-DoodyCalls and reach a live person.

The Customer Care Team signs up new customers for you by answering inbound calls from your territory and by performing outbound sales calls as well. The team also takes care of time-consuming customer service oriented tasks such as fielding general inquiries, managing service requests and changes, and helping to resolving any customer complaints.
__

Is a franchise for everyone? Certainly not. It really comes down to your personal and professional goals. However, by integrating a strong franchise system like DoodyCalls, attracting more customers and building a larger business becomes a lot easier.

You get what you pay for. If that weren't the case, DoodyCalls wouldn't be in business.

Fisher
08-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Like I said above I started as pet waste removal and added lawn care.

My insurance didnt know how to classify me so they put under lawn service. So I am assuming the cost would be near the same.

It's surprising sometimes learning what your not covered to do. I started out in concrete placement which involved some excavation as well as pressure washing to expose aggregate/pea gravel driveways and clean up. I moved into doing some site prep and excavation work as well as re-washing and sealing the driveways I had installed. Though they were part of concrete services, excavation, pressure washing, and site clean up had separate insurance classifications. Started doing landscaping which had a whole other classification. My goal was to do all the outside work for at least one of our larger home builders from the initial clearing to the finished lawn and landscaping.
Whether it was included or not in what I was doing insurance wise none of these supported the other. Lawn care was the last service to be added which of course is a different class than landscaping. At this point I believe there isn't anything to be done outdoors that I'm not covered for.

However, I would imagine If I started to clean this mess up that at some point someones dog would get sick and fault us for not properly sanitizing our tools after cleaning up next door where a sick dog had been. There I'd be without the proper clean up or sanitization coverage.

Fisher
08-05-2011, 01:06 PM
This is just a sample from one of the many that offer services close to my area. From what I've gathered most are assuming a back yard of 2,500-6,500 sq ft to be cleaned. Now I know this service is making more up front than some of the low ball lawn care service providers would for these size areas.

1 Dog once a week - $12/visit ($52 monthly)
1 Dog twice a week - $10/visit ($86.60 monthly)
1 Dog every other wk - $18/visit ($38.97 monthly)
2 Dogs once a week - $14/visit ($60.62 monthly)
2 Dogs twice a week - $10/visit ($86.60 monthly)
2 Dogs every other wk - $22/visit ($47.63 monthly)
2 Dogs every other week - ($47.63 monthly)
3 Dogs once a week - $16/visit ($69.28 monthly)
3 Dogs twice a week - $12/visit ($103.92 monthly)
3 Dogs every other wk - $26/visit ($56.29 monthly)
3 Dogs every other week - ($56.29 monthly)
4 Dogs once a week - $18/visit ($77.94 monthly)
4 Dogs twice a week - $14/visit ($121.24 monthly)
4 Dogs every other wk - $30/visit ($64.95 monthly)
4 Dogs every other wk - $30/visit ($64.95 monthly)
5+ Dogs once a week - $20/visit + $2 ea additional
5+ Dogs twice a week - $16/visit + $2 ea additional
5+ Dogs every other wk - $34/visit + $4 ea additional
5+ Dogs every other wk - $34/visit + $4 ea additional

ONE TIME CLEANINGS are available for a minimum fee of $40 for up to 30 minutes. Actual cleaning time in excess of 30 minutes, will be charged at $30 per half hour. Only on rare cases does yard clean up service take longer than an hour.

Our routes are designed to cover specific areas of Middle Tennessee on a given day. Therefore, you can generally expect service on the same day each week. If you must have service on a specific day and/or time, we will need to charge you significantly more due to additional drive time (charged at $1 per minute).

shadrach
08-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Saint Bernard surcharge?

Fisher
08-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Saint Bernard surcharge?

I was kinda wondering about that myself. When picking up where the dog left off there is a big difference i'm sure in the work between a couple of teacup chihuahuas and well a Saint Bernard.

Johnny_boy02
08-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Saint Bernard surcharge?

Honestly I prefer the larger dogs. The waste is easier to spot, pick up, etc.

Steve
08-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Franchising isn't necessarily a great fit for everyone. It really comes down to how the individual wants to run their operation.

Do you find there are certain types of personality types or situations that tend to work best with the franchising model?

For instance, do newer entrepreneurs work best with it or others who have been around for a while and understand the value of a support system?

DoodyCalls Franchises
08-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Do you find there are certain types of personality types or situations that tend to work best with the franchising model?

With our franchise and our specific business - yes.

I mean - we have franchisees from a full range of backgrounds and personality types who have built very successful businesses with our franchise model, but the ones who really excel - our top performers - tend to be Type A individuals who love marketing.

DoodyCalls is an entry-level business. Success with our franchise doesn't hinge on whether or not someone has extensive business or entrepreneurial experience. It's more about ambition. Our most successful franchise owners didn't join DoodyCalls to scoop poop. They joined because there's remarkable potential in this category and our franchise is leading the way. They wanted to be a part of the success story - and they are.

According to a recent survey by the American Pet Products Association (reported by The Wall Street Journal) the market potential for pet waste removal is estimated to be $2.6 billion annually, the vast majority of which is untapped. Here's a link - This Business Grows Every Time Fido Does His: Waste Scoopers Say Jobs Are Picking Up; A Changing Landscape (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703385404576259120414216488.html)

Steve
08-08-2011, 03:29 PM
but the ones who really excel - our top performers - tend to be Type A individuals who love marketing.

It seems to me that in general, people who do well at business are those that love to interact with others and are extroverts.

A lot of times though, even extroverted people have problems coming up with a business idea and then focusing on it. That seems to be where the franchise concept can really help.

An entrepreneur can spend his/her entire career looking for a business model that works and never hit on anything, or possibly skim across the surface of an idea but never dive into it to really exploit it's potential.

A small business owner can have a hell of a time trying to see the bigger picture when they are stuck in a box that they have created because they don't have the time to do anything else but today's tasks. When that happens, you can't rise above and work on your business, versus working in your business.

I'd love to see one of our forum members get into your franchise and talk about all they experience and learn from the process.

DoodyCalls Franchises
08-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Very wise insights - I think you're 100% correct. Thanks for touching on those points -