PDA

View Full Version : Being friendly is a great way to market

Steve
08-01-2011, 04:39 PM
How often do you find yourself waving at cars driving by or people walking by while you are on a job site? Maybe even when you are loading or unloading equipment?

It's amazing how a simple wave can really break the ice and make people more comfortable about approaching you. You never know when they may need your services.

This is something that should not only be done by you but also by your employees. They too should get into the habit of waving at people and neighbors.

mark123
08-01-2011, 05:04 PM
I wave at everybody. I've always done it.

At one neighborhood there was a lady that no one talked to because, well, she's a bit loony. I said "Hi" to her every time I was there. The first few times there was no response. Then a wave back and now she's a regular mowing customer.

Sprinkler Buddy
08-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Steve, this is the best advise you have given yet. lol

I have made a living by doing just that. The work is only half of it, being a people person without faking it is the other half.

Advise: If your not sincere waving, etc... don't bother doing so. Most people can tell the difference.

Hedgemaster
08-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Yep. I keep saying the same thing. You have to open the doors - they don't open up for you.

Just a few weeks ago I picked up two new clients. Although I hadn't "seen" either of them to be able to wave, or say "Hi", they DID see me... and they apparently liked what they saw. (No, not my a$$ - the way I work!)

Speaking of having your employees wave to people - these same clients shared that their prior lawn company guys could often be overheard using foul language. That was the last straw. Not only did these guys not generate any business with their poor attitudes, they LOST business because of it.

I greet everyone I see - you never know who you may run into, or who they will tell about "that nice fellow who cuts the Smith's lawn". If you have a regular route, it's common to see the same people out for a walk each time, and it's a great way for them to "get to know you" over time.

Steve
08-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Oh and what about driving safely and non-aggressively! How many times have you seen commercial vehicles on the road driven by madmen and you wanted to call the number on the side of the truck to let them have a piece of your mind!

mark123
08-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Oh and what about driving safely and non-aggressively! How many times have you seen commercial vehicles on the road driven by madmen and you wanted to call the number on the side of the truck to let them have a piece of your mind!

Now you got to meddling. :p

Hedgemaster
08-03-2011, 07:46 PM

No matter how busy I am, when I leave a client's home, I put my turn signals on and accelerate slowly away from the curb.
I don't even have my truck lettered yet and I still make to drive safely, and politely.

Also, the only time I listen to "loud music" is when I'm on the highway.

Ducke
08-03-2011, 09:04 PM
I left a industrial sale career that lasted 30+ years and I have closed Million $ deals by being friendly, knowing a customers name and showing a real interest in them and their project.
Its not always about $$$ sometimes people like to be treated like friends and not just a #.
This is one of the things I like about owning my own LCO it is a friendlier slower paced life style.
I can really take my time (with in reason) and get to know my customers and their neighbours say hello wave or suggest something to help them out with their lawns.
There is an old saying "You get more bees with Honey then you do with Vinegar".

monoshock
08-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Oh and what about driving safely and non-aggressively! How many times have you seen commercial vehicles on the road driven by madmen and you wanted to call the number on the side of the truck to let them have a piece of your mind!What about the people that run there zero turn riders like there driving in a go-cart race. Some of those people look like fools. :eek:

elrascal
08-04-2011, 01:45 AM

Yeah this is bang on the money!

People spend $1000s onsign writing and every thing else to build a brand then they go and blow it all by simply driving like an idiot. It simply doesn't make sense to me!