PDA

View Full Version : Two Cycle Oil

Shark1611
07-30-2011, 02:06 PM
I have been using Red Max oil for my two cycle oil. I thought I saw a post where oils were talked about. Is there one better than the other? I have been told that Red Max is a good oil.

Thanks!

wandfsmall
07-30-2011, 06:27 PM
I have been using Red Max oil for my two cycle oil. I thought I saw a post where oils were talked about. Is there one better than the other? I have been told that Red Max is a good oil.

Thanks!

the redmax is FD rated and a good oil. You will find a lot of opinions on what the best oil is but for the most part just pick a good one and stick to it and you will have fewer problems. I find if you get a procedure for mixing 2cycle oil your equipment seems to run better.

Hedgemaster
07-30-2011, 11:53 PM
the redmax is FD rated and a good oil. You will find a lot of opinions on what the best oil is but for the most part just pick a good one and stick to it and you will have fewer problems. I find if you get a procedure for mixing 2cycle oil your equipment seems to run better.

For lack of a better term... "Huh?" There's a "procedure"?

Here's what I've been doing:

Step 1. Remove cap from oil bottle
Step 2. Try to peel off protective seal - curse that there isn't a "tab", try to poke thumb through seal - curse louder because it just "stretches", find pointy object to tear through, and remove seal
Step 3. Pour oil into can of gasoline
Step 4. Replace cap on oil bottle (optional) and discard
Step 5. Screw cap onto gas can
Step 6. Gently "swish" contents to mix

Is there a better way?

;)

mark123
07-31-2011, 05:24 AM
I tried amsoil saber and I didn't like how my equipment ran so I went back to the Echo oil and all is well. I've only tried those two.

wandfsmall
07-31-2011, 03:07 PM
For lack of a better term... "Huh?" There's a "procedure"?

Here's what I've been doing:

Step 1. Remove cap from oil bottle
Step 2. Try to peel off protective seal - curse that there isn't a "tab", try to poke thumb through seal - curse louder because it just "stretches", find pointy object to tear through, and remove seal
Step 3. Pour oil into can of gasoline
Step 4. Replace cap on oil bottle (optional) and discard
Step 5. Screw cap onto gas can
Step 6. Gently "swish" contents to mix

Is there a better way?

;)

Yes you could find the pointy object to tear through the seal before you curse and try twice even though you know you will need the pointy object ;)

no just do it the same way each time, for some reason 2cycle engines run better when everything is the same each time you poor gas in them.

wandfsmall
07-31-2011, 03:09 PM
I tried amsoil saber and I didn't like how my equipment ran so I went back to the Echo oil and all is well. I've only tried those two.

I am not a fan of amsoil 2cycle mix either, they run a little lean for my taste.

firedkm
07-31-2011, 05:35 PM
run the mix that the manufacture recommends like the echoes and redmaxs run 50:1

Hedgemaster
07-31-2011, 09:57 PM
Yes you could find the pointy object to tear through the seal before you curse and try twice even though you know you will need the pointy object ;)

no just do it the same way each time, for some reason 2cycle engines run better when everything is the same each time you poor gas in them.

"Find pointy object first"... that is pure genius. I'm gonna write that down. :D

I started out with a Stihl trimmer and I've been using the Stihl synthetic "Ultra" oil.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_rzZm1Wt2g8/TVVNTgWc71I/AAAAAAAAADs/j_T43KzieQA/s200/Oil.jpg

A guy I know who works at a dealer suggested I stick with it based on his personal experience at the shop.
I have an Echo handheld blower and I use the same fuel mix in it. Hope it's not picky because I'm not carrying two cans of gas around.

Shark1611
08-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys. Looks like I will continue to use the Redmax. Just wanted to know if there was something better. The Redmax has been doing good.

Hedgemaster
08-01-2011, 06:23 PM
I had to laugh... I just came home after stopping for gas for my trimmer.

"Find pointy object first" was the first thing I thought of! LOL

I used my key.

wandfsmall
08-02-2011, 08:28 AM
"Find pointy object first"... that is pure genius. I'm gonna write that down. :D

I started out with a Stihl trimmer and I've been using the Stihl synthetic "Ultra" oil.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_rzZm1Wt2g8/TVVNTgWc71I/AAAAAAAAADs/j_T43KzieQA/s200/Oil.jpg

A guy I know who works at a dealer suggested I stick with it based on his personal experience at the shop.
I have an Echo handheld blower and I use the same fuel mix in it. Hope it's not picky because I'm not carrying two cans of gas around.

any good synthetic oil that is fd rated will work, I just find that the equipment runs better if you do not constantly change the oil mix. I have not scientific proof of this just observation of lots of customers and and equipment.

wandfsmall
08-02-2011, 08:30 AM

I used my key.

Glad I could help you with your process :D

mblack14
08-08-2011, 07:26 PM

I used my key.

You broken your routine!! it's going to blow up on you now...

BTW I use Beaoil but it's $10 bucks for a pint 16 fl.oz (it says intended for racing engines only) But I race to get the yard done!!!

jymie
08-08-2011, 09:45 PM
I use Opti-2 (http://www.opti2-4.com/html/opti-2.html). It is smokeless and will keep the carburetor clean. I was using the echo blend but the carbs kept getting dirty and needed to be cleaned. This stuff has eliminated that.

wandfsmall
08-09-2011, 08:33 AM
I use Opti-2 (http://www.opti2-4.com/html/opti-2.html). It is smokeless and will keep the carburetor clean. I was using the echo blend but the carbs kept getting dirty and needed to be cleaned. This stuff has eliminated that.

just be careful with shaking your gas cans as opti can separate from your gas and ruin your engines. I have seen it happen, that is why I am not a fan of the 100:1 mixes I would rather stay within what the engine was designed for.

Shark1611
08-15-2011, 10:54 PM
just be careful with shaking your gas cans as opti can separate from your gas and ruin your engines. I have seen it happen, that is why I am not a fan of the 100:1 mixes I would rather stay within what the engine was designed for.

I have had a number of people tell me this is a good oil. Guess I will try it next time a run out.