PDA

View Full Version : How many miles is to much?

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-27-2011, 02:37 PM
I was just looking at a 97 f350 and I like it a lot but it has 240,000 on it. Its a auto, gas 5.8. If I pick it up ill drive less then 6000 miles a year. I do need a beefier truck my midsize isnt cutting it for some jobs.

I always buy used vehicles but stay away from ones with 150k miles. Whats your thoughts on this? Buy the truck thats at the end of its life. Use it while I can or spend a hell of a lot more? For a comparison my midsize has 143k but the frame has serious rust issues and It needs more work then the asking price of the other truck.

Steve
07-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Is it possible to find anything else in the area with less than 200,000 miles on it? Yikes! Can you imagine how much is going wrong or about to go wrong with that 240,000 mile truck?

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Is it possible to find anything else in the area with less than 200,000 miles on it? Yikes! Can you imagine how much is going wrong or about to go wrong with that 240,000 mile truck?

Yes I could but the price would be 3 grand higher. That wouldnt be bad for a diesel but for lower miles? The other option is to not get it in 4x4. I wanted to save up for a cab over dump truck and still have a 1/2 ton and 1 ton. So I was hoping to get a fullsize heavy duty on the cheap.

I have the same fears. I can see that theres little rust and it had to have good maintenance to even stay on the road that long. There was a lot of fairly new parts. Thats why I asked. Was curious on the max amount of life left.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
07-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Well depends on condition but whats available and what you can afford are sometime 2 different things. Motor and tranny are maybe due to be rebuilt again around that many miles or close to it. Could also go another 50K miles and not a problem.

If you think its worth a shot maybe it is but I really wouldn't. Just spoke with my old boss and he said my old truck(97 F350 quad cab drw with the diesel) is sitting on blocks down at the farm and in AZ we don't have rust issues. I'm sure the motor is fine but sounds like everything is falling apart.

Hedgemaster
07-27-2011, 10:59 PM
My truck is ten years old and I just turned over 48,000 miles last week.
No - it's not for sale. :D

I dunno... I'd be afraid of 250,000, but that's me. Someone else may have the skills to keep that puppy humming for a while longer.
You didn't say how much they are asking either - that's a big factor in making that sort of decision.