PDA

View Full Version : Buy American? Or Not?

Sprinkler Buddy
07-21-2011, 11:41 PM
I was speaking with a potential company today to market my invention. I take pride in saying my product is made in the USA. He told me he takes 4 trips a year to China and he could cut my production cost in half with his connections. He also explained most box stores won't purchase American made products for the most part because their profit margins are so much better from outside US manufacturing.

When are we as a Country going to realize our greed is our biggest down fall as Americans? My product may or may not ever become a household name, that remains to be seen but as long as I'm the owner of my product "Sprinkler Buddy" it will be made in the USA, even if that means not getting it in the Big Box Stores which is my dream.

I have been told this similar story a few times during this venture by others as well. I am beginning to think I am doomed to fail because I have chosen to manufacture my invention here in the US.

It really rubs me the wrong way that things work or DON"T WORK as they should. How did we as Americans ever decide to sell America bit by bit to over seas manufactures when we have always had the technology to do things in our own back yard and make a descent living doing so?

Greed! Greed! Greed! Don't worry my product will be knocked off and sold in the BIG BOX Stores for sure when my Patent expires in Twenty years. lol

I'm not really laughing, just venting a little.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
07-21-2011, 11:59 PM
I understand your plite. I completely agree with you. I hope know one steals it before then. You can't renew the patent before it expires? At any rate I would try to market it to other locations and promote it online anywhere and everywhere you can. Once word gets out that it is an amazing product re-pitch it to the companies in your dream entails... Good LUCK!!!!

CHEESE2009
07-22-2011, 02:27 AM
Just do what makes you more money.

You can have pride for your country, but get what you deserve first - then make a difference. It doesn't matter where it's made, it's what happens after.

Sprinkler Buddy is actually an awesome creation - seriously! I would expect to see them sold in every store in town.

By the way, I hate god damn potheads. Though, I hate the ones who take part in the culture of it all way more! "Dude, let's listen to Bob Marley" ... I'd rather rip the persons friggen head off.

picframer
07-22-2011, 03:46 AM
Just do what makes you more money.

It doesn't matter where it's made, it's what happens after.

This is why the economy is in shambles, you export your production, you export your workers, how does one then sustain their economy?

Sprinkler Buddy
07-22-2011, 02:26 PM
This is why the economy is in shambles, you export your production, you export your workers, how does one then sustain their economy?

I couldn't agree with you more! I have tried to do my part by keeping my Sprinkler Buddy here in my homeland. It's funny how it often takes an outsider to see what is in plain sight. Thanks for adding your thoughts Andy.

One could easily imagine how prosperous our nation would have been if we had stayed home and not outsourced our manufacturing to make a few dollars for a select few. Instead of just a few profiting, our nation would have been as a whole.

Retail sale price could have remained the same by US manufacturing, it's the profit margin that would have been effected. Too many business owners and between guys want it all Now $$ regardless of the long term effects. That in my opinion is what certainly helped put us as a nation where we are at today. Greed! Greed! Greed!

Where does it end, is any-ones guess?

I feel it has to start with manufactures like myself. We have to consider what is best for our Country and not only what benefits ourselves the quickest way possible. I know many would argue this way of thinking as a business man but none can argue the fact of our weak economy despite being the super power of the world.

"The Bigger They are The Harder They Fall"

As an American, I believe we can stop this downward spiral if we could only control our Greed!! Is that even possible??? That is the real question here!!

CHEESE2009
07-22-2011, 02:27 PM

The economy situation is irreversible. It's a shame, I've got no real answer.

:(

CHEESE2009
07-22-2011, 02:31 PM
As an American, I believe we can stop this downward spiral if we could only control our Greed!! Is that even possible??? That is the real question here!!

I'm sure it could be solved, I just think the only solution seems rather scary. People wont change unless they are forced. Take away the freedom of people for a better America - that's not gonna work over too well. Sucks.

Steve
07-22-2011, 05:37 PM
When are we as a Country going to realize our greed is our biggest down fall as Americans? My product may or may not ever become a household name, that remains to be seen but as long as I'm the owner of my product "Sprinkler Buddy" it will be made in the USA, even if that means not getting it in the Big Box Stores which is my dream.

Ok, say you had it manufactured in another country? And you were able to get it done for a price you wanted to get it done at.

What about the people that are going to be shipping it locally?
What about the people that are going to be providing the customer support locally?
What about the sales people that will be local?
What about the marketing people that will be local?

Isn't the manufacturing a small part of a big piece of the puzzle?

If you could generate many jobs because you got your business to the point you wanted it to be, would there really be harm? Especially if you created jobs here to get it into the hands of the consumer?

picframer
07-22-2011, 06:48 PM
The economy situation is irreversible. It's a shame, I've got no real answer.

:(

I disagree, Americans have lost sight of the American dream, they were as an outsider looking in sold a wrong bill of goods, for years the economy has been living on borrowed money, the numbers are staggering.

Small business is the foundation to a strong economy, some become med size, others large.

The USA economy is a clear picture of what happens when you outsource your foundation.

Manufacturing is is critical and is the big part, manufacture at home, buy the supplies at home, service at home, the economy will support itself.

I fear the only way to correct this is a market crash and it is not going to be pretty.

Sprinkler Buddy
07-22-2011, 10:09 PM
Manufacturing and packaging are by far the biggest expense no matter where you have it done. That is where the majority of jobs are created where ever one decides to manufacture their products.

Usually products are shipped directly to the distributor from the manufacture when it's a small to mid size business and often even a large business. If it's being made across the pond, most all jobs are on the other side of the pond as well, and a good portion of the $$ remains there as well.

Many manufactures may not want to believe that because that makes them part of the problem rather than part of the solution. Greed is a hard demon to conquer when it means taking money out of your own pocket or should I say settling for a little less but benefiting your own country in doing so.

Me, Me, Me mentality, kills us all long term in my opinion.

Hedgemaster
07-22-2011, 11:50 PM
If I manufacture my Widgets in China to keep the price point where people will actually purchase my product instead of a competitor's Widgets, am I being "greedy"?

Is it "greed" that makes consumers buy the lower-priced "identical" item, so they can then use the savings to make other purchases? I mean, if you really aren't "greedy", you would just pay more for the "Made in USA" product, right?

It's a difficult problem, with a solution that is beyond my grasp.
I don't seek American made products out, but when I see the "Made in USA" label, it does make me smile - then I wonder how long before it breaks. Sad.

Says the man who has only owned American vehicles - that were probably made in Canada, or Mexico. Heh.

Sprinkler Buddy
07-23-2011, 12:32 AM
"If I manufacture my Widgets in China to keep the price point where people will actually purchase my product instead of a competitor's Widgets, am I being "greedy"?

Is it "greed" that makes consumers buy the lower-priced "identical" item, so they can then use the savings to make other purchases? I mean, if you really aren't "greedy", you would just pay more for the "Made in USA" product, right?"

No matter where one chooses to make their products, they all have to keep the price point competitive. That's why I positioned my product in the medium of similar products both made in the USA and those that aren't.

I didn't mean the "greed" of the consumers, and there are many of the USA products you can find cheaper than the foreign counter products by the way. The Greed is in the owners/manufactures, willing to trade off being made over seas, Not to keep within the price point but to have a bigger profit margin at the price point of their product while remaining competitive.

China and others have helped make our homeland what it is. We as a nation had a good long run. Think it was all part of a master plan on their part. lol Now they can swoop in and buy us up at rock bottom prices and make us feel good about it when they do.

I don't have the answers either. I do know if we don't learn from our mistakes we are only bound to repeat them.

I have always thought it was the foreign products that were poorly made for the biggest part, lol

bruces
07-23-2011, 12:38 AM
You should be commended for trying to keep your product manufactured in North America .

Sprinkler Buddy
07-23-2011, 01:09 AM
You should be commended for trying to keep your product manufactured in North America .

I don't know, I'm still undecided! lol

I just know as a military vet, we may be at war with any other country tomorrow, I didn't want to risk funding their war efforts against my own.

That's how simple it was for me, it was never about the money for me either way.

My belief could also be my down fall as I have been learning. The Big Box stores like buying multiple products from the same manufacture to get huge discounts buying in large volumes on multiple products at the same time. I can produce large volumes at big discounts but I can't produce multiple different products. That's where I fall short. I hope one day a big American company will license my product and add it to their product line to get it in the big box stores. Small royalty will be fine by me. It would make life a lot simpler. lol

mark123
07-23-2011, 08:25 AM
I seek out and pay more for USA made products. It's a challenge. If your product was next to a chinese product, I'd pick yours even if it were three times the cost. The worst part is that chinese products aren't really cheaper anymore. I cannot fathom how they can charge $250 for a set of chinese boots. It's maddening.

If you are going to outsource make sure you visit the sweat shops and watch the kids working there for a spoonful of rice.

Sprinkler Buddy
07-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Their products aren't cheap $$ wise to the American consumer anymore because they don't have to be to get their products in the stores any longer. We have grown dependent on them and they know it, now they own half or more of the stores in America and 75% or more of the products in all of them is my guess.

Slave labor, we as Americans have been guilty of that ourselves in years past. We have built much of what we have from it. We still are today in many professions in certain parts of the US. (I won't go there!)

When it comes down to it, "We have no one to blame but ourselves". I don't blame China or no one else for our situation. Those that do are being mislead. We as Americans have to pull together and decide to make a change, with time the rest will take care of itself. Is that possible? I don't know!

CHEESE2009
07-23-2011, 02:37 PM
There are two possibilities I see;

1) China: Haha, big American give all the wealth to us - we attack at dawn!

2) China: Without big Amercian, we wouldn't have job to feed family!

Also, lets face it - the Chinese are better at this than us. The materials they use are far less expensive for them to purchase, it doesn't mean the material itself isn't as good as ours.

The Cleaning Doctor
07-23-2011, 02:43 PM
I hate to say it, but this all started going downhill with the greed back in the 60's. Not that is when it started but when the me, me, me really took off.

I commend you for keeping the manufacturing in the US. I too buy American when I can. I only go to WalMart anymore maybe once every 2 months for something specific.

If the fish says product of China.... I pass.

It really is the profit margins that are at stake here. They would be better if the executive salaries would be more in line with reality. If you want to give them a big salary, then give them a commission on the sales.

In the end, there is no real clear or easy answer. Since your product does not have components that need to be assembled. Take the Lear Jet for example, the fuselage is made in Ireland, wings I think are made in Mexico and the engines I think are made in Canada but I am less sure about that and they are all assembled in Wichita, KS.

BTW Canadians.... I have been all through the Bombardier factories for the Canada Air Regional jets.... Great place to see and congrats on keeping them home too. They also own Lear Jet.

CHEESE2009
07-24-2011, 09:33 PM
If I had a product, I would want to take over the world with it.

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2009/12/TMNT-Snuggie.jpg

Make your own nation, buy a private island... ohhh yeahhhh:cool:

mblack14
07-28-2011, 08:44 AM
You know there is alot of places doing the made in USA thing, Walmart is for sure, You might not get it to lowes but walmart is a big part of the US. But it is sad that greed is taking over everyone. Here in a few years we will be the USOC (united states of china) You know it's sad we people are not going to get there SS check this month, And look and see how that is going to hurt us. A big part of my business if there not getting payed then im not. and I cant get payed Im going to be out of business.

wandfsmall
07-28-2011, 09:04 AM
You know there is alot of places doing the made in USA thing, Walmart is for sure, You might not get it to lowes but walmart is a big part of the US. But it is sad that greed is taking over everyone. Here in a few years we will be the USOC (united states of china) You know it's sad we people are not going to get there SS check this month, And look and see how that is going to hurt us. A big part of my business if there not getting payed then im not. and I cant get payed Im going to be out of business.

Walmart has a set of offices dedicated to helping companies find manufactures in china to produce for Walmart stores. That is just advertising just like the low prices that they claim. Shop at a local store and you will find that they are the same prices or lower in most cases. Also look at the made in labels and see if you find many made in the usa at walmart.