PDA

View Full Version : Grass 14-16 inches tall.

who1
07-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Grass 14-16 inches tall. What will be the best way to cut this?

Sprinkler Buddy
07-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Cut with your deck all the way up, you'll need to cut it a few times. If this isn't a regular cut in the future, I would pass on it all together.

**Beware of hidden obstacles!!!** Walk it first and take it very slow when mowing if you decide to do it.

nickeckes
07-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Cut with your deck all the way up, you'll need to cut it a few times. If this isn't a regular cut in the future, I would pass on it all together.

**Beware of hidden obstacles!!!** Walk it first and take it very slow when mowing if you decide to do it.

I AGREE^^^ DONT WRECK YOUR MOWER OVER A 1 TIME CUT. . You Never Know What Is Hiden In That Grass!!

shadrach
07-19-2011, 03:51 PM
what are you going to try & cut it with?

Ducke
07-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Grass 14-16 inches tall. What will be the best way to cut this?

Use your weed whacker to knock it down, Then you can mulch it with your mower.

who1
07-19-2011, 05:32 PM
I am new and have a craftsman 21 inch mower, and already purchased an echo trimmer. If I use the trimmer first then cut it with the mower will the bag still catch most of the grass? Or will I still need to hand rake it.

monoshock
07-19-2011, 07:54 PM
I cut overgrown grass all the time. I cut a normal height and go real slow. If I set my deck height up ,it just lies down and doesn't get cut at all, even with new sharp egdes. Most time you will need to double and triple cut it to get all the grass.
http://www.********.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=225801&stc=1&d=1310868945
14 to 16" :) ,Try 8' I cut this about three weeks ago. Those are 8' tall weeds next to my Grasshopper.
http://www.********.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=225811&stc=1&d=1310877357

shadrach
07-19-2011, 09:31 PM
14" tall grass & a 21" mower - your best bet is probably to walk away from this one. The potential damage to your equipment is probably not worth what you would make doing it.

Hedgemaster
07-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Heh. I think all I did this spring was cut high grass.

Here, check out these pics of my Toro chewing up some ridiculous growth...
http://www.gopherforum.com/showpost.php?p=89958&postcount=33

I don't think my old Craftsman would have been able to do it, but the Toro is a beast. Cut on max height, then lower it. You can try mulching first and bagging on the second (or third) pass if you need to keep it neat.

Good luck!

wandfsmall
07-20-2011, 08:05 AM
I am new and have a craftsman 21 inch mower, and already purchased an echo trimmer. If I use the trimmer first then cut it with the mower will the bag still catch most of the grass? Or will I still need to hand rake it.

I would walk away, or charge enough to buy a new pushmower.

Jack Rabbit
07-20-2011, 01:55 PM
If you decide to do the job consider a brush hog ** big line trimmer on wheels. Go over it once with the hog cutting higher than the mowing height then go over it with your mower for a finish cut.
http://www.drpower.com/trimmer-mower_features.aspx

The cords will damage things that a regular trimmer wouldn't so use the hog for the bulk work only. Get around the edges and details with a regular trimmer.

I'd rake the cuttings from the first cut since you would have to dump your mower bag really often if you picked it up that way.

Ask the customer about sprinklers or other known obstacles. Examine the area carefully for obstacles and problems.

Charge appropriately for all that work and rental of the brush hog. If they won't pay the price then don't take the job. Be sure they know that a normal mowing is much cheaper.

Derrell Jacobs
07-21-2011, 01:07 AM
I recently cut a property where the grass was 28 1/4 inches high. now, with two people doing this property it took us a little over an hour. @ $35 per man per hour.

We mowed over the grass 4 times. We started by cutting the grass down by 3inches using trimmers (not the curved shaft) then mow it over slow at 2nd minimum speed. The grass looked like it was never that high.

I charged the property manager $150.00 for the hour work.

Tom53
07-21-2011, 11:46 AM
SHEEP !!!!! lol

Fisher
07-21-2011, 06:55 PM
I recently cut a property where the grass was 28 1/4 inches high. now, with two people doing this property it took us a little over an hour. @ $35 per man per hour.

We mowed over the grass 4 times. We started by cutting the grass down by 3inches using trimmers (not the curved shaft) then mow it over slow at 2nd minimum speed. The grass looked like it was never that high.

I charged the property manager $150.00 for the hour work.

I'm a bit confused, did you charge the low rate of only $35 per man hour? I figure that to be about $90 if 1hr 15min per guy @ $35 per hr.

If you charged the $150 it sounds like a better $60 +/- per man hour which in my opinion is a fair rate for the extra abuse on the equipment.

Either way the rates which you state you were working and billing are conflicting.

Just sayin'

Fisher
07-21-2011, 06:59 PM
SHEEP !!!!! lol

I've seen property owners (not in the city) who apparently thought the grass was to expensive to get under control or just more work than they wanted to do just burn their yards in little controlled burn areas. I suppose this get's it all back down to the nice even height of ground.

Maybe, they were just hoping to get a chance to file an insurance claim that would pay off well enough to replace the landscape.

stevef1201
08-05-2011, 12:02 PM
a 21 inch push mower? You have got to kidding me! Walk, no run from this one. Or rent a real commercial mower for a day, mow high, decreasing cutting height, and mow several times. charge for the rental, and your time to go get and return the rental, and your time mowing. I just finished a 1 acre lot, 36 inch tall grass, mowed 4 times to 3 inches, 6 hours, 400 dollars.
he was so gratfull about getting done, and it looking so nice, I now have a signed contract for weekly service @ 75 a week. I have a 36 inch standon, that is about 4 years old and was given to me falling apart. The time and money to get it working was well worth the effort. Thank you Jim for this mower

Rodriguez11
08-07-2011, 07:00 PM
yea maybe a rule should be if the grass is 3/4 of the width of your deck you should just run run run away. I could not imagine trying to push tall grass like that. I just got done cutting a yard that was literally 5 foot tall, I have some pictures to prove it, that was still a pain with my mower

Johnny_boy02
08-07-2011, 11:26 PM

I would be honest and tell the customer you are not equipped to do this job properly and you would rather pass than have the job turn out less than great.

This will go a lot further than killing yourself for a few bucks.