PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Elkton, MD, looking for advice

jtcaldarelli
07-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Hello all, y name is Jordan and I guess I have a small Lawn Care Business of sorts. Im 19 and I currently cut grass and do occasional Landscaping at 3 Waffle House Restaraunts near my house. I honestly didnt plan on cutting grass this year on my own, ( I've worked for Landscapers before) Until in mid may the man who owns the restaraunts asked my dad if i would be interested. so I Push Mowed and borrowed Pops equipment, until my boy traded me a Cub Cadet Rider for a pair of Boat Risers, and I bought a New Husqvarna Weedeater dirtcheap. I have a 95 Chevrolet Pickup to work out of, and I have acess to a small trailer when i need.

Anyway, being the guy came to me in mid/late may, it was a little late in season to pick other contracts up. anyways, I was looking for advice on how i should plan to pick up more properties next year? I feel I have adequate enough equipment for a small operation like myself, as I see many people think they need to go out and buy the top of the line Zero Turn to cut 10 small yards and wonder why they are in debt. I make about 400 a month (Including expenses) in extra income Mowing, so Ideally Next year, Id like to have around 10 or so customers as I work another job, and no need to get too far ahead. Also, being my Town offers Curbside Leaf/Grass Pickup, I was considering offering Yard Cleanouts as I could save on dump fees and have The City Suck it up ( I used to work there and am tight with the guys, so they'll take care of me) would it be wise to save up for a decent Backpack Blower and try to offer Leaf Cleanups, as like i said, for now Lawn Care is just supplemental income.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, and look forward to posting/reading on the forums!

Steve
07-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Hi Jordan,

You seem like you are doing great so far. You are getting customers because of your contacts and there is no reason you can't get more the same way this season.

Have you started to ask around more to see if others need lawn care? Can your dad hook you up with anyone else? Or your friend who owns the restaurants?

What about other family and friends?

jtcaldarelli
07-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Yes, I have asked around a decent bit of people, just right now most people have a means of having there grass maintained. I figured right now in mid july it may be a little late for extra customers unless some are dropped rite in my lap again. But I am going to try hard to gain new customers next year

Which is a reason I figured it isnt too early to start advertising for fall yard cleanups, as most upstart Lawn Care businesses around dont really do them much. I figure with free disposal courtesy of my friends at my town D.P.W I could save mooney and time right there! lol

But I plan on getting my own business cards and putting up ads around. I have a fair bit of contacts around for advertising means, i could put cards at my restarauts i do among other places.

brian'slawncare
07-17-2011, 10:03 PM
jordan- are you familiar with the area of harford county called Bel Air, Churchville, Hickory, Fountain Green? I believe it is about 20 mins from you. I used to live over in that area and am now in Cincinnati. Just curious......any nice job! I started last year when I was 12. Im now 14 and have mowed up to 19 lawns in a week.

jtcaldarelli
07-17-2011, 10:08 PM
jordan- are you familiar with the area of harford county called Bel Air, Churchville, Hickory, Fountain Green? I believe it is about 20 mins from you. I used to live over in that area and am now in Cincinnati. Just curious......any nice job! I started last year when I was 12. Im now 14 and have mowed up to 19 lawns in a week.

Indeed I am familiar with it. One of my waffle Houses I cut is in Havre De Grace. The Town im from Elkton, is in Cecil County, which is to the east of harford. Id have to have a few jobs in that area as that is quite the drive!

brian'slawncare
07-18-2011, 01:13 PM
indeed it is. my father use to commute to elkton from Bel Air and it was roughly 40 mins.

Steve
07-18-2011, 02:02 PM
I figured right now in mid july it may be a little late for extra customers unless some are dropped rite in my lap again. But I am going to try hard to gain new customers next year

There is a constant cycle of lawn care business owners signing up customers. Then they don't show up, mess up the property care, go out of business, etc etc and this leaves room open for others to come in and sign up new customers all season long.

You don't have to wait until next year to get customers. They are out there now and looking for a better company that offers better results.

Put your feelers out and you will be amazed.