PDA

View Full Version : Self Propel Mower

Shark1611
07-14-2011, 05:45 PM
I see most of the lawn care folks running Honda. I looked at mower review and could not find what all of you are using so would like some information.

Hedgemaster
07-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Toro Super Recycler.
Not to be confused with the "regular" Recycler that can be found at big box stores. As I understand it, it's the best one they make without paying over a grand for a true commercial Toro push mower.

I had a Consumer Reports magazine around here that had it rated #2 - a Honda was #1, but it was also several hundred dollars more.

I've been very pleased with my purchase.
Here's a thread I started with pics... http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=13790

MountainViewGreenskeeper
07-14-2011, 11:23 PM
I know your looking for self propel review but just the commercial Honda push for us. At the time I was more worried about cost/didn't want to have to worry about the tranny breaking, but it has done everything we have asked of it.

Hedgemaster
07-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Maybe I misunderstood the question.

Are you specifically asking about Honda mowers and want to know which model "us lawn guys" use?

ToastedToad
07-15-2011, 01:41 AM
I have the HRX217HXA, love it. Great cut, bags and mulches perfectly. Cuts tall grass very well. A bit heavy and kinda tough to clean the underside. But overall a great mower. Not commercial, but very well built in my opinion.

I also have the HRR216VKA. Another great mower, lighter than the HRX. Has some issues with doing wheelies when the bag is full.

Shark1611
07-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Maybe I misunderstood the question.

Are you specifically asking about Honda mowers and want to know which model "us lawn guys" use?

You guys have been a great help. What I was trying to say is if Honda is one of the top of the lines then what model? Also do any of you have mowers under $1,000.00 that will work just as good? Most of the yards I do are with my ZTR but my two push mowers are about gone and ready for a new one. I was told that the gear box is what goes out with most low end mowers. As like you all I do not have time to mess around with a mower that will not work well.

Shark1611
07-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Toro Super Recycler.
Not to be confused with the "regular" Recycler that can be found at big box stores. As I understand it, it's the best one they make without paying over a grand for a true commercial Toro push mower.

I had a Consumer Reports magazine around here that had it rated #2 - a Honda was #1, but it was also several hundred dollars more.

I've been very pleased with my purchase.
Here's a thread I started with pics... http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=13790

I rmemebr seeing your post a while back but could not find it till you posted here. Looks great and just might be the way to go for me. Thank you very much.

Shark1611
07-15-2011, 09:20 AM
I know your looking for self propel review but just the commercial Honda push for us. At the time I was more worried about cost/didn't want to have to worry about the tranny breaking, but it has done everything we have asked of it.

I have two mowers and the tranny went out on it and boy is it hard to push.

Shark1611
07-15-2011, 09:24 AM
I have the HRX217HXA, love it. Great cut, bags and mulches perfectly. Cuts tall grass very well. A bit heavy and kinda tough to clean the underside. But overall a great mower. Not commercial, but very well built in my opinion.

I also have the HRR216VKA. Another great mower, lighter than the HRX. Has some issues with doing wheelies when the bag is full.

I saw this at Home Depot. The Engine repair shop told me yesterday that it would be dumb for anyone in our business to go and buy a homeowner mower. But he want's to sell mowers and maybe he has deeper pockets that I do.

Hedgemaster
07-15-2011, 03:58 PM
See, that's why I went with the Toro Super Recycler... it's not a "commercial grade" mower, but for $530, it's a great value considering the quality. It's built a little more sturdy than the Recycler that can be found in big box stores.

My dealer sells a lot of them to landscapers around here. I just couldn't wrap my head around paying over $1,200 for a commercial Toro push mower (at least not at this point in my business venture), so I went this route. A friend who lives several hours away from me works at a dealership and also recommended this mower to me.

As for the Hondas... I haven't a clue. I do see them in use, but it seems a lot of guys around here still have the old Lawn Boys on their trucks. Since they don't make the "good" Lawn Boy mowers any more, I see a lot of Toros.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
07-15-2011, 07:25 PM
I saw this at Home Depot. The Engine repair shop told me yesterday that it would be dumb for anyone in our business to go and buy a homeowner mower. But he want's to sell mowers and maybe he has deeper pockets that I do.

Well you also have to remember there is a difference between homeowner and estate or large land owner model. Our 33in mower is currently not a commercial unit, its an estate mower.

Im assuming but I think the toro super recycler, and even the honda hrx for that matter, Are estate mowers built better then to be used more.

Especial when you are first starting out and your not mowing 5-6 days a week 7-8 hrs a day you don't really need a commercial unit; not that its not nice to have one.

Shark1611
07-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Well you also have to remember there is a difference between homeowner and estate or large land owner model. Our 33in mower is currently not a commercial unit, its an estate mower.

Im assuming but I think the toro super recycler, and even the honda hrx for that matter, Are estate mowers built better then to be used more.

Especial when you are first starting out and your not mowing 5-6 days a week 7-8 hrs a day you don't really need a commercial unit; not that its not nice to have one.

Thank you this helps a great deal. I bought a John Deer from Lowes for around $450.00 and it's a mess.

Shark1611
07-16-2011, 10:24 AM
I am looking at a 2 cycle mower with a Robin engine. Anyone know how well these engines are? I know they run well in the EZ-GO golf cars but not sure about these in mowers.

Shark1611
05-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Got a 21" Exmark and love it. Has the Kawi engine and has been doing a great job.

Tried to send a photo again but got this message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 47972001 bytes) in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/gopherforum/forum/includes/class_image.php on line 2351

Never have been able to post any photos. What a rip.

lawnman3fl
05-12-2012, 05:25 PM
honda mowers are well built wheels dont wear out as fast as most lower priced mowers and drive system is good on most honda's i have owned if you can pull it off buy a honda they simply do the job you want them to do .. the new honda mowers from the box stores have a diffrent honda motor not as good as buying from a mower shop that sells honda mowers ... for a little more do yourself a favor and buy a honda mower from your local honda mower shop/ dealer... ....