PDA

View Full Version : personal pace wont start

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-14-2011, 03:44 PM
I found a lady throwing this mower away. She said it was overheating when running but I havent been able to get it to start. I changed the plug, cleaned the carb, drained the gas, cleaned the air filter, and managed to break the pull cord.

Theres been times when it runs for 3 seconds and dies. Sounds good in those 3 seconds. I also got it to start and move about ten feet with the throttle pushed all the way in twice. It died when I tried to slow down. Now its back to not wanting to start for even a few seconds. it almost seems like a safety killing it.

model # 20018 22" recycler

bruces
07-14-2011, 10:09 PM
I think I would check the carb again .

wandfsmall
07-15-2011, 08:51 AM
I would check the oil and compression.... make sure it is worth the effort to go any further.

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-15-2011, 08:14 PM
I would check the oil and compression.... make sure it is worth the effort to go any further.

I checked that first. Oil is a tad high and clean, compression is good. Charged the battery over night and the electric starter does work, doesnt start still. I double checked spark today and had none. So I disconnected the safety wire that goes to the coil and still had no spark. Ordered a new coil. I think that will fix it. If it does $27 for a fairly new self propelled.

Steve
07-15-2011, 09:38 PM
I double checked spark today and had none. So I disconnected the safety wire that goes to the coil and still had no spark. Ordered a new coil. I think that will fix it.

Keep us posted on this, it will be interesting to hear if the coil went out.

I do wonder why it would run a little and then go out and then the coil stopped working.

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Finally got the coil yesterday and I installed today. Still no spark but unplugging the safety wire on the coil did work this time. I ran it for about 15 minutes. So it looks like bad coil and linkage problem or short somewhere. I wouldve found out but the rain came.

So in all I did get a working personal pace with electric start for $27. Ill fix the other issue later.

Steve
07-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Finally got the coil yesterday and I installed today. Still no spark but unplugging the safety wire on the coil did work this time.

Do you have a continuity tester? You should have continuity from the spark plug wire through the coil to ground.

Check out this electrical diagram (http://assets.fluke.com/appnotes/electricalpower/B0271b_u.pdf).

I ran it for about 15 minutes. So it looks like bad coil and linkage problem or short somewhere. I wouldve found out but the rain came.

What's your view on why that is a bad coil?

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-24-2011, 10:11 PM
What's your view on why that is a bad coil?
I was referring to the old one. It didnt work under any circumstances. The new one works but only with the safety unplugged.

Steve
07-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Can you show us a picture of where the kill switch hooks up? I wonder if it is grounding out somewhere along it's path. That would cause it to not start.