PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

mowman1970
07-13-2011, 06:11 PM
My name is Derrick. Everyone say "Hi! Derrick". I feel like I just became a member of Mowers Annonymous. I was cruising the web and came across this crazy guy talking shop about mowing and the biz, so I decided I needed to stop in. I started my business several years ago and it has seesawed until I made the decision 3 months ago to leave my Full-time job due to my diability from diabetes and go to work for my self. I figure if I must kill myself working hard I might as well do it for myself. I now have a website and am looking at the possibilities of having my first major contract. A property with 16 buildings (192 doors) and am sceeeerrrreedd of failure if I actually get the bid, and it looks as though I may have it. So if any of you remember your humble beginnings, I would greatly appreciate the advice. I look forward to all fo our conversations on here.

Shark1611
07-13-2011, 06:19 PM
My name is Derrick. Everyone say "Hi! Derrick". I feel like I just became a member of Mowers Annonymous. I was cruising the web and came across this crazy guy talking shop about mowing and the biz, so I decided I needed to stop in. I started my business several years ago and it has seesawed until I made the decision 3 months ago to leave my Full-time job due to my diability from diabetes and go to work for my self. I figure if I must kill myself working hard I might as well do it for myself. I now have a website and am looking at the possibilities of having my first major contract. A property with 16 buildings (192 doors) and am sceeeerrrreedd of failure if I actually get the bid, and it looks as though I may have it. So if any of you remember your humble beginnings, I would greatly appreciate the advice. I look forward to all fo our conversations on here.

Welcome Derrick! I have been in the business for abotu a year now but full time about two months. I have a number of commercial properties and homeowners as well. Word of mouth and doing it right the first time has been the best tool for me along with this website. The other is the tools that Steve has for estimating jobs. I have them on my phone and they help me so much!

SO FAR everyone here has been nice to me and Steve is awesome. I continue to learn something every single day. I wish you the best and like you, I look forward to converstations!!

Steve
07-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Hi Derrick,

Welcome to our forum!

I started my business several years ago and it has seesawed until I made the decision 3 months ago to leave my Full-time job due to my diability from diabetes and go to work for my self.

What is your view on why you felt your business see sawed for that time?

What advice do you have for others that find themselves in that same situation?

mowman1970
07-16-2011, 10:08 PM
I think it was due to the fact that I didn't put a whole lot of effort into pushing my business. I did the jobs I had well, but I just didn't grow it. I have always loved mowing and outside work and have always wanted to go into business for myself, but didn't just take the leap. I decided 3 months ago that I had to change my life for my health and my family and realized that the only way to do it was, to do it. Now it has its downside, but the plus side out weighs it by far. I love working with the public, and my son who is 10 years old told me, he saw why I loved it so much when a customer came out smiling from ear to ear and telling us how much she loved the job we had just completed for her. That's the best!!!!

Shark1611
07-17-2011, 08:30 PM
I think it was due to the fact that I didn't put a whole lot of effort into pushing my business. I did the jobs I had well, but I just didn't grow it. I have always loved mowing and outside work and have always wanted to go into business for myself, but didn't just take the leap. I decided 3 months ago that I had to change my life for my health and my family and realized that the only way to do it was, to do it. Now it has its downside, but the plus side out weighs it by far. I love working with the public, and my son who is 10 years old told me, he saw why I loved it so much when a customer came out smiling from ear to ear and telling us how much she loved the job we had just completed for her. That's the best!!!!

Same here. I am 53 years old (too old to be doing this) but I love it. Tired of managing lumber yards and hardware. It's all about me and my family now.

Steve
07-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Derrick, that is a great story. Do you have any advice to others who might find themselves in a situation where they are see sawing?