PDA

View Full Version : Considering a new business

Jon H
07-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Hey everybody, I'm considering starting up a lawn care business next Spring. I'm working on getting all my "ducks in a row" with getting insurance quotes, talking with marketing companies, researching equipment, etc. In a perfect scenario, I'd like to have a lot of the ground work done this fall and winter so that I can have enough clients (small commercial and residential) early next spring to quit my current full time job and still support my family (my wife is a stay at home mom). I think with some good marketing a diligent work on obtaining new customers, I could have enough clients, but I'm concerned about physically being able to work enough hours to earn the income I need. My rough math worked out this way:

average of 6 hours of mowing/machine time per day multiplied by 6 days/week for 28 weeks equals roughly $60k worth of income before expenses, if i quote at $60/hr. That would be enough to get me by (barely) and maintain our current lifestyle. Again, I'm concerned about physically being able to do that much work.

OR, if I was extremely fortunate and had more work than I could handle myself, I can hire some help and nearly double my capacity (with some added expenses).

Am I crazy for thinking this could work? Other than the physically tough part of working that much time every week (I sit at a desk most of my days currently) I know that getting the customers will be toughest part.

Fisher
07-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Not crazy, possibly over optimistic. But, then again now would be a good time to start securing bids for next season.

Sprinkler Buddy
07-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Hi Jon,

I have been in the lawn care business for some time. I would recommend starting a small business on the side and keeping your current job until you build the lawn business up and can't do both any longer. With our current economy your not going to build a lawn service overnight that will support your current life style. You may also realize that sitting behind that desk wasn't so bad after all. In my experience, word of mouth has been the best by far advertising. Save your money and start out small and grow it from there. It will also allow you to get your feet wet and allow you to make sound decisions on which way to go down the road with it.

Even staring out on the side and being a fairly small business, don't be afraid to hire help if needed. Chances are you have 2-3 days a week for your side business. With help you can get so much more done in that time and make a lot more even after paying your helper. It would also help with the transition being you have a family.

Good Luck!

Steve
07-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Jon,

What has kept you from getting started so far, even on a small scale?

Jon H
07-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Right now, the biggest issue is that I don't have a vehicle to haul any equipment around in, just a car.

hounddog
07-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Right now, the biggest issue is that I don't have a vehicle to haul any equipment around in, just a car.

I started at 16 with a chevy corsica 20 inch push a hand edger a broom and a string trimmer made almost 2k after all costs. now 12 years later i have a 52 exmark ztr 16 foot trailer 48 inch gravely walk behind and all the other toys you need. when you sell the service you are selling yourself start small and grow next year i plan on finally quiting my 9-5 and going full time

Steve
07-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Jon, we have seen plenty of members on here get started with a car. Either putting the mower in their trunk or towing behind a small trailer.

I bet you could be very ingenuitive if you put your mind to it. Keep us posted on what you do next.