PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice please

SconsinJoe
07-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Its been awhile since Ive posted as I landed a fulltime job. I still want to start a lawn care business and since Ive been getting regular paychecks, in the last 2 weeks I have purchased a new trimmer and a new blower.

My dilemma is I drive a 2 door scion tc and Im having a hard time figuring out how to haul the mower. I could spend 170 and install a trailer hitch and either

A. Save up the money for a 4x8 trailer and go against every manufacturer warning against towing anything or..

B. Spend another 150-200 on a hitch cargo carrier but Im not sure if they make them wide enough to fit a push mower on.

Im so motivated to get my business going and acqquiring a truck is out of the question right now. Can anyone give opinions please? I'd appreciate it!

Fisher
07-09-2011, 08:48 PM
If this guy can haul a mower, I'm sure you'll figure something out.

Hedgemaster
07-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Do you have a Harbor Freight anywhere near you?

I bought this because the average cargo carrier isn't wide enough for a mower to fit...

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/High%20Grass%20Hulton%20Rd/IMAG1802.jpg

Here's a link to the product (http://www.harborfreight.com/aluminum-mobility-wheelchair-and-scooter-carrier-67599.html).

I think with a sale price and a coupon I paid $179 for it and it's probably the best spent money thus far. I can haul my mower into the city without needing to drag my trailer with me. I didn't want to remove my truck cap just to haul a freaking push mower (mower won't fit inside), and besides, I'm too lazy to be lifting a 97 lb mower in and out of a truck all day. :D A carrier with a RAMP was just the ticket!

Good luck!

ETA:

My big-a$$ 2 stage snowthrower fits on it as well!

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Snowthrower/104_5949.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Snowthrower/104_5947.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Snowthrower/104_5944.jpg

and so does my chipper/shredder...

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/104_5711.jpg

and you can carry other stuff as well...

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac64/Pepwalker2/Lawn%20Care%20Handyman/104_5209.jpg

Fisher
07-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Does the Scion have a receiver already?

SconsinJoe
07-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Does the Scion have a receiver already?
No, it does not. I would have to buy one from etrailer.com for almost 100 bucks. Plus some drilling is required on the frame for bolt on.

SconsinJoe
07-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Do you have a Harbor Freight anywhere near you?

I bought this because the average cargo carrier isn't wide enough for a mower to fit...

That is exactly what I need! There is a harbor Freight about 50 miles from me. Thank you so much for the info Hedgemaster!

SconsinJoe
07-09-2011, 09:40 PM
I'll just have to watch the tongue weight as it's only rated for 200 lbs.

Hedgemaster
07-09-2011, 09:52 PM
I'll just have to watch the tongue weight as it's only rated for 200 lbs.

From the product info page...
Shipping Weight: 65.55 lbs.

66 lb carrier plus the weight of a push mower should be well below 200 lbs.

Heh. I wasn't sure what the thing weighs. I can carry the thing when I remove it to haul my trailer. It's awkward as heck with the ramp on there though.
I replaced the ramp hinge bolts with locking hinge pins so I can pull them out to remover the ramp, making it easier to carry. That said, I rarely do that any more.
I added plywood because the open floor made it tough to keep the mower where I wanted it. I just use tie-downs to secure it.
The thing is a bit of a pain to assemble, but not impossible. If you've ever assembled any "furniture in a box", you can relate.

Make sure you call to see if they have one in stock before you drive 50 miles. (and be sure to use the 20% off coupon!)

SconsinJoe
07-09-2011, 10:06 PM
(and be sure to use the 20% off coupon!)

I cant seem to find the 20% off coupon...it says theres a sale through the 10th but I wont be purchasing it within that time frame.

Fisher
07-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Have you set up an online account with Harbor Freight yet? I believe shortly after I did I received sales info. as well as coupons in my email. Hedgemaster did your coupon come from email or a flyer?

SconsinJoe
07-09-2011, 10:21 PM
haha..I "liked" HF on Facebook and now theres an add right on this page.."BUYONLINE20" is the coupon code....wonder if it will still work in a few weeks.

Fisher
07-09-2011, 10:34 PM
expires on the 15th, I recommend revisiting the site when you're ready and they'll link you another coupon

Hedgemaster
07-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Have you set up an online account with Harbor Freight yet? I believe shortly after I did I received sales info. as well as coupons in my email. Hedgemaster did your coupon come from email or a flyer?

We get HF ads in the mail on a regular basis since there are multiple locations around Pittsburgh. They are usually found in with the other coupons or in the Sunday paper coupon section. I have bundles of them paper clipped at home and in the truck.

I've not signed up online, nor have I joined the "saver club" or whatever it's called, but the 20% off coupon is a regular thing. I've seen that same cargo carrier "on sale" for $199 for months and months now. I think SOME of their "sales" are just a way to get people to buy sooner than later, as they never seem to "expire".

Yard Elements
07-10-2011, 08:13 PM
A truck is the way to go ;) Sorry.

Steve
07-10-2011, 10:02 PM
My dilemma is I drive a 2 door scion tc and Im having a hard time figuring out how to haul the mower. I could spend 170 and install a trailer hitch and either

A. Save up the money for a 4x8 trailer and go against every manufacturer warning against towing anything or..

B. Spend another 150-200 on a hitch cargo carrier but Im not sure if they make them wide enough to fit a push mower on.

Why not get a hitch and install it yourself and save for a trailer.

Check and see the difference in price between a cheap trailer and one of those harbor freight attachments.

If the difference is slight, the trailer will allow for more growth than the harbor freight attachment.

Hedgemaster
07-11-2011, 12:28 AM
Haha! I finally Googled "2 door scion tc"!

That will be funny to see that thing on there. Better than driving around with crap sticking out of your trunk though!

There ARE smaller trailers out there if you look. I know that Lowes carries a Carry On brand 4x6 utility trailer and there are even smaller ones around that can fold up when not in use.

SconsinJoe
07-11-2011, 07:22 AM
A hitch and wiring will cost around 125 and a 4x8 trailer 500-600. Im really shying away from towing much with the scion. Ive read many posts on scion forums that towing is NOT recommended due to potential frame damage. It wasnt built to tow. I may just have to save up over the next winter for a truck. If Im going to spend that kind of money I might as well spend it once on a truck.

Steve
07-11-2011, 10:37 PM
I have seen trailers that are just a little bit bigger than a lawn mower and shouldnt be that big of a deal to tow. I think that would be minimal strain on your vehicle versus hanging it on the back.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

SconsinJoe
07-12-2011, 08:47 PM
I have seen trailers that are just a little bit bigger than a lawn mower and shouldnt be that big of a deal to tow. I think that would be minimal strain on your vehicle versus hanging it on the back.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.Do you mean you've seen them out and about or actually for sale somewhere?

Steve
07-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Yes, I have seen them out and on the forum. Look around for a 40" x 48" trailer. They look like this. And if a mini can pull it, your scion should be able to do it too.

Here is a link for a site that sells them, but look local and I am sure you will find them too,

http://www.discount-trailers.com/small-utility-trailer.htm