PDA

View Full Version : How to trim?

Paineless Creations
07-09-2011, 08:24 AM
I needs some help, what is the best way to trim these? also should I wait untill fall. But this is a apartment complex and people are complaining about the overgrowth on the sidewalk, Let me know

mark123
07-09-2011, 10:32 AM
What am I supposed to be seeing?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
07-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Can't help what you can't see. Or is it just me.

Paineless Creations
07-09-2011, 03:09 PM

Can you see them now?

mark123
07-09-2011, 03:18 PM
What are they? Hemerocallis? Looks like it.

Hedge clippers. Zip, zip, zip. About 15 minutes of work.

wdcutter
07-09-2011, 03:35 PM
once the blossoms go by you can cut the stems back to the greens. If it can wait until the fall you can dig up some of the bulbs that are close to the walkways, thus eliminating the over growth and next spring they won't grow out into the walkways.

If it can't wait and the owner says cut them back I would thin them out by digging some of the front ones up and transplant them somewhere or maybe you know someone who would like some new lily bulbs or have a place for them yourself.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
07-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Ya a hedge trimmer will zip right through it but I'm not sure how good it will look. I know its a different plant but they share similar traits. We have to trim the red yuccas every once in a great while but using the hedge trimmer doesn't always look the best. I would consider what wdcutter said and dig'em out.

mark123
07-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Ya a hedge trimmer will zip right through it but I'm not sure how good it will look. I know its a different plant but they share similar traits. We have to trim the red yuccas every once in a great while but using the hedge trimmer doesn't always look the best. I would consider what wdcutter said and dig'em out.I've done it 100 times when I worked for someone else (not that I wouldn't do it for myself, I just try to avoid this sort of work if possible). Eventually the boss found out and after he saw the results he had me teach everyone else the technique.

It makes a really nice edge against the sidewalk and it needs redone from time to time. Repeat business.

I had also introduced using the hedge trimmers for end of season cut backs. It turns an all day job into a couple of hours.

Steve
07-10-2011, 08:39 PM
This is kind of interesting because it could be handled in different ways it seems. If you dig up the bulbs and move them back, they will not need to be trimmed as often. But for more business, it seems like just trimming them will help you to include them in your annual services to rim them again and again and again.

mark123
07-10-2011, 09:34 PM
This is kind of interesting because it could be handled in different ways it seems. If you dig up the bulbs and move them back, they will not need to be trimmed as often. But for more business, it seems like just trimming them will help you to include them in your annual services to rim them again and again and again.
The trimming also takes about 1/10th the time and while you can't charge as much for it you will be in front of the customer more often which keeps them interested and keeps other companies from edging in.

Steve
07-11-2011, 09:23 PM
That is a very good point and makes you wonder what other services could be handled in such a way as to make more profit over the long haul.

wdcutter
07-12-2011, 07:28 PM
The trimming also takes about 1/10th the time and while you can't charge as much for it you will be in front of the customer more often which keeps them interested and keeps other companies from edging in.

that's what makes each of our companies different and am not saying this philosophy is wrong, but as far as keeping other companies from edging in.. I wouldn't go quite that far and though some customers may not mind, the other side of the coin is that some do.

I have picked up some other companies clients this year because they were doing similar things and there clients didn't like it.

I may not be in front of my clients as much by not doing these types of things, but they do not hesitate to call or recommend me for anything.

just another view, by the way did this job ever get done?

mark123
07-12-2011, 10:34 PM
that's what makes each of our companies different and am not saying this philosophy is wrong, but as far as keeping other companies from edging in.. I wouldn't go quite that far and though some customers may not mind, the other side of the coin is that some do.

I have picked up some other companies clients this year because they were doing similar things and there clients didn't like it. ...
It's a good point. Of course I've never seen a customer go from a less expensive service to one that costs more even if the cost ends up the same due to the extra services. I think it's just a perception thing.

As an example, one of my customers complained of the cost of leaf removal so instead of halting mowing due to the grass going dormant I offered to continue mowing and bagging throughout the autumn. The cost was very nearly the same in the end but instead of a big bill they got it spread out over a few months.

Steve
07-13-2011, 03:18 PM
I have picked up some other companies clients this year because they were doing similar things and there clients didn't like it.

What kinds of reasons have you heard that new customers didnt like about their previous lawn care company? Also, how do you defend against this so they don't get rid of your company because of something they don't like that you don't know about?

Paineless Creations
07-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will attack it and let you know how I do it and post pictures of how it looks

Bobby

Steve
07-15-2011, 07:18 PM
I look forwards to it. Also keep us posted on how much time it actually took versus the time you thought it would take. This should be a great learning experience.