calebmoss
07-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Ok there is a little sarcasam there.

Post what you hate to mow / trim around

Mine would be playgroud equitment

Hedgemaster
07-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Those little effing $3 SOLAR LIGHTS!!!

Aside from the obvious pain in the a$$ to mow/trim around, I chopped one right in two with the string trimmer. Cheap, plastic stake - I barely touched it and "ZIP!"

Cheese and rice, I HATE when they put those things in the GRASS. :mad:

SpokaneSRC
07-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Dog excrement!
They are suppose to pick it up (the customer not the dog) but they always seem to miss a pile or 2!

ToastedToad
07-07-2011, 12:54 AM

Aside from the obvious pain in the a$$ to mow/trim around, I chopped one right in two with the string trimmer. Cheap, plastic stake - I barely touched it and "ZIP!"

+1

Had a client who installed about 40 of them all along the lawn border. I was not happy when I saw them. The next week I came back and they were all gone.

I guess there was a crime spree in the neighborhood that week, not a solar light to be seen. Only time I didn't feel bad that someone got ripped off.

picframer
07-07-2011, 05:10 AM
Without a question Granite, where I live it is far too plentiful so people use it for decoration, then you have pieces pop up through your lawn after a hard winter, a small piece exposed could end up being half the size of a truck underground.

It does look nice on a lawn but OMG it can be time consuming.

jklawncare
07-07-2011, 01:21 PM
baby trees are a p.i.t.a to get around ,just barely clip it with the trimmer and its gone just as quick as the grass around it.

those solar lights are also a huge p.i.t.a

mark123
07-07-2011, 04:52 PM

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

I swear I'm just going to mow 'em down. I guess I'll have to bag the "clippings" though. :p

Steve
07-07-2011, 08:36 PM
How about small children LOL.

Fisher
07-07-2011, 10:38 PM
How about small children LOL.

I will not mow with children out on the property period, once one enters my view blades are disengaged and the mower idled down and then shut off until I know that they understand they need not be around while we are working.

I do the same thing for adults as some of them seem to have no problem approaching someone (whether on a machine or just trimming) from behind either.

Hedgemaster
07-07-2011, 11:12 PM
I had to mow around dog poo today.

Client on vacation, but dogs home and being let out - nobody scooping though. :(

He gave me the option of waiting 'til they return (because he knows I don't mow unless poos are cleaned up prior), but since he's a good customer, I let him slide on this one. Fortunately I didn't "slide" on anything today. :D

Ducke
07-08-2011, 06:06 AM
I hate when people plant small trees or shrubs randomly around their lawn without any thought of how in the hell someone will mow their lawn.
I showed up a one lawn and the customer had planted 16 shrubs all over their front lawn it was like mowing a maze and then I had to trim the stupid things.
I felt like adding an additional trimming charge.

brian'slawncare
07-08-2011, 01:34 PM
i hate when people plant beds so close to each other you cant fit the mower in between them. not only do I hate trimming under fences and around playsets.....but when the playset is soo close to the fence you need to trim between the fence and it.

also, I since all of my customers are in a lake community, people like to put tiki torches at the edge of the lake ARGGG

oh and i have only broken one of those lights so far (the stake snapped so i carefully yet quickly stabbed in back into the ground before anyone noticed)

Fisher
07-08-2011, 10:19 PM
I hate when people plant small trees or shrubs randomly around their lawn without any thought of how in the hell someone will mow their lawn.
I showed up a one lawn and the customer had planted 16 shrubs all over their front lawn it was like mowing a maze and then I had to trim the stupid things.
I felt like adding an additional trimming charge.

I would ad the charge next year. I have been advising new and potential customers that are in new homes of additional trimming charges. I'll usually acknowledge that they have just moved in and so far haven't had time to do anything in the yard. I'll then let them know that as they add beds (hopefully using our services to do so) fences, trees, etc,. that their cost of service may go up usually $5-$10 depending on the potential I see there.

Once I make them aware of this and explain why, they usually understand and even let me know at that point what they have already considered adding. This gives me the chance to put a plan together for them as well.

Fencing in the backyard is the most common first addition and is the main reason I like to point out that trimming time around the fence can easily cause a need for a higher service rate.

monoshock
07-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Chainlink fence and around A/C units.
Those little thermostat wires are a magnet to trimmer line. :eek:

Hedgemaster
07-08-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm beginning to hate trees in general - with a passion...

Mature trees = bumpity-bump roots.
Saplings, as noted previously, are too delicate and are at risk of being zipped off with the trimmer.
"Decorative" trees are either so low (think Jap maple) that you can't get the mower under them without snagging delicate branches, or just low enough that YOU can't fit under while mowing.
Even better when it has rained and the branches droop and deposit water all over your back as you try to duck under them.

cruzgardening
07-09-2011, 02:56 AM
Dog excrement!
They are suppose to pick it up (the customer not the dog) but they always seem to miss a pile or 2!

Yup hate it so i don't mow if there is poop any where in the yard my contract says it clearly :)

CHEESE2009
07-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Alright, to start;

I hate low branched trees which you have to literally crawl under in order to trim around, this goes for mowing too - when i have to get a branch in the face in order to get certain spots done.

Solar lights are a P.I.T.A, you really have to go slow and walk around each one, or you can remove them all but FORGET THAT IDEA, they are so cheap they could break just by trying to take them out.

I also don't like trimming around in-ground pools, I have anal customers telling me not to get grass in their pool even after I tell them it's impossible. Some customers ask for me to trim backwards like a moron which hardly works.

I hate trimming anywhere near stone, sometimes grass comes through it but you can only get so much done without rocks flying everywhere.

I hate trimming around garden edging, I have to make one pass to cut horizontally, and another to cut vertically.

What I hate trimming the most:::::::::::::::

I hate trimming hills too intense for the mower(s). I just hate wasting any amount of time on a property.

& let's not forget about those god awful tree roots!!!!!!!!!

- As for dog crap, I just leave it there with a nice ugly patch of grass until it's picked up.:D

CHEESE2009
07-09-2011, 02:15 PM
FORGOT SOME

YES, I hate playground equipment. Swings of all kinds annoy me quite a lot.

Or when there is a ton of junk/furniture scattered all over the damn place on a tiny lawn. Spend most of my time moving crap around before I can mow.

I hate children's toys, and dog toys = I usually mow over the stuff with the tractor, now without hesitation. Makes me feel good lol.

brian'slawncare
07-09-2011, 09:39 PM
i know this sounds evil but I get so fed up with some customers, i mow over little toys and dog toys with a smile:D:D:D:D

Steve
07-10-2011, 09:48 PM
i know this sounds evil but I get so fed up with some customers

LOL is this because you feel they should have picked them up or is it because of another issue?

mzlawncare
07-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Thorn bushes that pop up

CHEESE2009
07-12-2011, 05:15 PM
How about SOD!!!

I HATE SOD!!!!

1. Chance of tearing the sod
2. Chance of clogging the machines
3. Chance of leaving tire marks/ sink holes
4. Chance of burning the sod
5. Chance of large amount of grass clippings
6. Chance of wasting a lot of time
7. P.I.T.A to trim
9. P.I.T.A to maneuver around

I got another new customer, all damn sod. The first visit, the grass was up to my calves. The good news is that I can use my tractor for the entire thing.

I cut the grass at 4 1/2 - no problem, I needed to get that grass DOWN man! (side discharged and left the clippings because I knew I was going to come back asap).

Not even a week later (today) I went back to finish the job, my mission was to get it to a maintainable level.

I started at 3 1/2 with the bagger on... Machine clogged 100% of the time.

I cut the grass at 3 1/2 using the side discharge, THEN I did the entire lawn again using the bagger at 3 1/2 to pick up my clippings.

The machine didn't want to pick up most of the clippings because they were WET!!!!!

I did the lawn 3x today, i'll say 4x because I did it last Friday and today is Tuesday.

There are sink holes around where I made my turns, and I even made wider turns... sucks

Even on small little bumps the grass underneath would get chewed instead of cut.

IN THE END, I got that lawn looking pretty sexy. I used the blower to lift the sink holes as best as I could :)

Hedgemaster
08-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Rocks. Randomly placed, "decorative" friggin' ROCKS.

I'd like to find the first person who looked at a lawn and said "Oh, what this needs is a few big ROCKS to make it look good" and smash their head in with one of them.

And while I'm at it, someone find me the person who thought it would look even better if they painted them WHITE!

Morons.

mblack14
08-08-2011, 07:01 PM
I would like to mow over my xwife but that will be a new Thread... My thing is every one is doing the sand stone flower beds and I cant stand them. They chip easy and let the dirt run out into the yard. Kids toys I will not move them or trim around them, Dog poop is a big no no for me and the one I hate the most is above ground pools I will NOT trim around any of them so I just use weed and grass Killer :D:D

stevef1201
08-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Those damn cheap a** vynil pools. You know the ones I mean. ROUDUP to the rescue

stevef1201
08-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Alright, to start;

I hate low branched trees which you have to literally crawl under in order to trim around, this goes for mowing too - when i have to get a branch in the face in order to get certain spots done.

I quitely cut those off, don't tell them anything. A few weeks later they will say 'gee it looks so nice out here now but I can't figure out why"