PDA

View Full Version : Flower Bed Rescue

Ducke
07-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Got a call last week " Can you come quick my Flower Beds need some Help" Here are some before and afters of just 2 of her 12 beds and yea they all looked the same I took 47 big bags of weeds off the lot.

Fisher
07-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Did you turn it into a regular maintenance job, or do they think they can keep control on it now? Did you charge by the bag?

Ducke
07-03-2011, 06:17 PM
The new home owners think they can handle it but I lift them a card jus in case. I charged them by a quote for the job. It turned out to be a bit more work then I first thought but I came out good on the whole deal.
But I learned some things about time management.

Steve
07-03-2011, 07:57 PM
But I learned some things about time management.

Very nice work and I could see how it could be one of those jobs that quickly becomes bigger than initially thought. Give us some of your thoughts on what you learned from this job.

SpokaneSRC
07-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Hey Ducke, How long did the job take you? Nice looking results.

Hedgemaster
07-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Holy CRAP. Did you do that by yourself?

Nice work!

Ducke
07-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Very nice work and I could see how it could be one of those jobs that quickly becomes bigger than initially thought. Give us some of your thoughts on what you learned from this job.

One thing I have figured out how long it takes to weed and over grown Flower Bed and that you really have to look at these jobs . It is so easy to under bit and get yourself into a money loosing situation.
This Job took me 24 work Hours over four days I was also tiring to keep up with my regular mow jobs. I think next time I quote a job like this I might look at hiring a helper, It was a very tough job hard on the back.
With a helper I could have done it in 1-2 days and paid the help and still made good money.
As I said earlier lessons learned for next time. :)

Johnny_boy02
07-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Man you are a rockstar, I would have charged out the yahoo for that job. I hate pulling weeds.

But is seems most people do because they pay good $$

Steve
07-04-2011, 06:46 PM
This Job took me 24 work Hours over four days I was also tiring to keep up with my regular mow jobs.

How long did you initially estimate it would take you?

Ducke
07-05-2011, 07:45 PM
How long did you initially estimate it would take you?

at first I allowed 1 hour per Flower Bed.
So 12 beds at 1 hour each that's 12 hours but it took me double so I basically cut my profit in half. :(
But the good news is I priced it high enough that I still made a good profit. :rolleyes:
I now understand how easy it can be to get in over your head, But I didn't panic I kept my cool and worked as fast and as best as I could to get myself out of the spot I was in. I am chalking this one up to lack of experience in this kind of job and will not make that same mistake again.

Shark1611
07-05-2011, 08:32 PM
I have a bed that we round up all the weeds. Came back week later then pulled. After that week we planted our plants and mulch the bed. Now I continue to have to pull weeds and round up where I can. Does preem work or is there something else I can use to help cut down on have to work on these beds all the time? The other issue is the deer keep coming in and I have to work the mulch all the time. I have seen stuff that can keep deer out but not sure if it works.

So......what is the trick to help cut down on the labor time to keep beds looking nice and weed free?

Steve
07-06-2011, 08:47 AM
So......what is the trick to help cut down on the labor time to keep beds looking nice and weed free?
How about using landscape fabric? Would that help you?

http://americannettings.com/images/large/landscape_fabric_large.jpg

I am chalking this one up to lack of experience in this kind of job and will not make that same mistake again.

Do you think next time you will estimate the job and then double that figure you have in your mind? Would that help you come up with a price that would be more workable?

Ducke
07-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Do you think next time you will estimate the job and then double that figure you have in your mind? Would that help you come up with a price that would be more workable?

No the problem with that figure is I would never get any jobs,
I just have to allow more time or more manpower. I might have a few $$ to play with but there is a fine line that people are willing to pay for such jobs.

Shark1611
07-07-2011, 09:05 AM
How about using landscape fabric? Would that help you?

http://americannettings.com/images/large/landscape_fabric_large.jpg

I was going to do just that but was told by the last guy who had this bid that the dear cut through it. Should of just did it. Thanks!

Steve
07-07-2011, 07:32 PM
No the problem with that figure is I would never get any jobs,
I just have to allow more time or more manpower. I might have a few $$ to play with but there is a fine line that people are willing to pay for such jobs.

How do you feel such jobs compare with mowing jobs? Are they more profitable or less per hour?

Sometimes it seems certain types of jobs will perform better than others.

ExpoAware
07-09-2011, 11:23 PM
How do you feel such jobs compare with mowing jobs? Are they more profitable or less per hour?

Not my question, but I can weigh in with one point of view.... a bit long winded....

As a small outfit, I find that mowing is always more profitable in the long run. I usually only provide this kind of work for existing customers or commercial accounts or where lawn work will follow.

For instance I manage the lawns for one of the McDonalds franchises. One store was in terrible shape bed wise as the landscape contractor let the property go. I parlayed that into a nice bedding reinstall and maintenance contract with my customer for ALL the properties. It worked out like this: he paid separate rates to get the beds back into maintainable shape and now pays a monthly maintenance fee to keep them that way.

The formula that works best for me is to hire (experienced) help for larger bedding jobs so that I can finish quickly and still make a decent profit without breaking my back. I bid probably more than than average outfit because I don't typically want these types of jobs. So when it works out, I am not left wishing I had not taken the job or underbidding myself which is easy to do as we all know. The trick is not spending too much time on the estimates so that my time is wasted. Thankfully, this does not happen very often.

Ducke
07-10-2011, 07:42 PM

Mowing is a higher profit work but the flower bed jobs was more rewarding and also gives you a break from pushing a mower for 10 hours a day.
all in all work is work and you do what you have to in order to pay the bills

Steve
07-10-2011, 09:06 PM
The formula that works best for me is to hire (experienced) help for larger bedding jobs

What do you look for in an employee that can perform better? How does one with more experience work on beds compared to a less experienced employee?

Do you train them at all to improve their speed?

Altmanlandscaping
07-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Nice job.. thats a lot of work hand picking beds like that.