PDA

View Full Version : New and needs help.

who1
06-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Hello Everyone:

Just so you know I have followed this websight for aprox 2 months, and think it is great, with lots of good people and lawn care info.

Background: I am on the Oregon coast in Lincoln City Oregon. The grass does not grow quickly and all lawns are done on a bi-weekly basis. So I will need twice as many lawns to fill fill my schedule. I am just starting out here but grew up in the mid west and had a part time lawn business there done on a weekly basis.

Questions:
Business name, the state wants 50.00 every 2 years if I do a dba name as John's Lawn Care. Or I do not need to register in I use my full name, thus no fee. What do you think?

2) While reading threads I came to belive that echo was used on this sight more than sthil, these are the 2 dealers in my area. Is echo better? and if so should I go with a combo unit such as the pas265 with 15 seperate attachements over a seperarte unit with motor for each?

3) I saw steve had made a door hanger with an anorndike chair and ocean scene, no I cant find it, and i want to forward it to lady printing to have door hangers made.

4) Aslo I saw a vehicle magnet site that had the exact same design on goepher, not the build-a-sign sight but another, does anyone know which one.

5) Getting customers is tough, I went door to door last weekend for about 3 hours a day on sat and sun, must say I was dissapointed that only 2-10 people home, had to leave flyers that I made off template from this websight. I had 2 people that I talked to give them estimates, one guy said I was 3$ less expensive than the other guy, and would do more like edge, where the other guy didnt. But after giving bid that day, and going back the next, he would not commit? what gives? anyway he knew I was starting a new lawncare business in the area, and that I was experienced in lawn care. The other a lady had me est clear across town 20 mile round trip, over 1 gal in gas, est for her in laws wh have a vacation rental, called her back the next day with a real cheap 25$ bid and still no call back? no calls from any flyers with 50% off first mowing at all, put out aprox 100 flyers. rember due to bi-weekly cutting I will need 20 a week to match my last salary, and would like to have 40 x 2 = 80 total. Got a long ways to go.

Only good news was I saw a neighbor lady I did not know, very ederly with clippers not getting anywhere on a hugh job. Stopped and gave her flyer and talked and Got a 1 time job that will make between 250-400, so I can pay for 1/2 my new equipment.

Help with the beach scene door hanger steve made, and websight with the same design for truck magnets. Help and good luck to all.

Steve
06-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Welcome to our forum.

Business name, the state wants 50.00 every 2 years if I do a dba name as John's Lawn Care. Or I do not need to register in I use my full name, thus no fee. What do you think?

I'd go the cheap way at first 'John Smith Lawn Care' - please make checks payable to john smith :)

As far as equipment goes, why not start out cheaper at first and see how you like doing all this. As you get into it more, scale up your equipment.

The lawn care door hanger (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7198) you are looking for is located in the first thread here.

Getting customers is tough, I went door to door last weekend for about 3 hours a day on sat and sun, must say I was dissapointed that only 2-10 people home, had to leave flyers that I made off template from this websight.

Remember this is normal. Early on it is tough breaking into the market and plugging into a network of customers. That is why early on, it is easier to try and get people you know as customers first. Then expand outwards from there.

called her back the next day with a real cheap 25$ bid and still no call back?
Don't be afraid to follow up and see what her status is.

no calls from any flyers with 50% off first mowing at all, put out aprox 100 flyers. rember due to bi-weekly cutting I will need 20 a week to match my last salary, and would like to have 40 x 2 = 80 total. Got a long ways to go.

You probably don't need to have that much off. Just letting people know you are available and local may do it. Don't forget to get on craigslist.org too and post your ad there every week or more.

Only good news was I saw a neighbor lady I did not know, very ederly with clippers not getting anywhere on a hugh job. Stopped and gave her flyer and talked and Got a 1 time job that will make between 250-400, so I can pay for 1/2 my new equipment.

Great, now follow up and ask her if she has any friends or family in the area that could use your services as well.

Keep us posted!