PDA

View Full Version : Advise to those on how to grow?

Steve
03-01-2007, 08:11 AM
What advise would you offer new lawn care business owners who find themselves lowballing jobs and losing money?

How do they go from being a start up, to a profitable business?

Do they offer personalized service, do they find a niche? What would you suggest?

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
03-01-2007, 08:47 AM
First off, set a target of how much money you would like to make per hour. From the very first lawn you do, time yourself to see how long it takes to complete the job. Break that down to how much time is spent trimming, mowing, and what ever else you do for the customer.

Houses with lots of things to trim around take considerable time. Wide open lawns take less time to mow vs lawns with obstructions.

You should be able to get a feel very quickly how long a job will take.

If just starting out, keep the customers you now think you have underpriced. If you feel you have to raise your price with them, be honest. Tell them you now realize you under priced them and an increase is in order. No income is worse than some income.

tiedeman
03-01-2007, 09:23 AM
It really comes down to your overhead cost and how much of a profit you want to make, but also after a while with experience you can basically eyeball a lawn and know exactly how much to charge.

Steve
03-01-2007, 09:31 AM
How much of growth do you feel finding a niche too? What niches would you suggest?

VogelLawnService
03-01-2007, 10:45 AM
with residential customers i started off lowballing. i was young when i started and was scared to ask for higher amounts of money.i was chargeing 20 or 25 or a lawn that would by myself take me a half an hour. that seemed pretty good to me i was making 50 dollars an hour. i wanted to get an idea of what the bigger companys would charge for a yard the size of mine ( medium) to see what the average going rate was. i called a few different companys and was given estimates in the range of 35-40. i was charging 20 or 25 for the same size. i quickly realized that not only was i not making what i could make but also with low balling you decrease the value of the trade. When i first started asking for 35 dollars for a small-mid sized yard i got turned down several times and gained new customers at that price. there is plenty of grass out there. after a while when we had many clients it was ok to get rejected. Dont be afraid of being turned down because it will happen. once you get over the fear of asking for higher amounts of money from people you will be in a great position and find your income rising!