PDA

View Full Version : trisodium phosphate

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-21-2011, 02:06 PM
I have used trisodium phosphate for roof cleanings and concrete before but I heard its not good with metal or painted wood. So I always avoided that and washed the house or gutters with a different solution.
Is this true?
Does it stain wood and damage metal?
Am I wasting time using two different mixes?

It was widely used in detergents before the phosphate entered the water supply. Since most sinks, dish washers and laundry machines are made of metal it doesnt add up.

Steve
06-21-2011, 05:37 PM
I think we talked about this in the past on here and from what I remember, trisodium phosphate mixed with bleach worked better than trisodium phosphate alone. I don't think the trisodium phosphate will actually kill any of the mold but the bleach will.

I have heard the bleach dries out the shingles and can cause them to curl at the edges. Furthermore, the mixture of these chemicals can be harmful to lawns and plants on the property where it drains out.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-21-2011, 05:47 PM
I think we talked about this in the past on here and from what I remember, trisodium phosphate mixed with bleach worked better than trisodium phosphate alone. I don't think the trisodium phosphate will actually kill any of the mold but the bleach will.

I do mix bleach. The houses that I used it on had vinyl siding and the other was concrete, it didnt effect either one at all. Other then that I used it with a pressure washer on driveway stains.

This particular job is roof and gutters with wood siding, so I was just curious to whether I should spray it on the gutters or use what I use for siding.

I briefly searched and seen positive and negative comments on it depending on who you ask.

Ducke
06-21-2011, 07:09 PM
I have used trisodium phosphate or TSP as its know to clean wood work before I paint it without any bad side effects So I don't see why you couldn't use it on the outside of the house.

Steve
06-22-2011, 03:50 PM
All in all, with a new product on a new surface, it's probably best to test it in an area not highly visible first to see what you think of the results.

The Cleaning Doctor
06-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Most people have stopped using TSP all together because it is so difficult to dissolve. For house washes, get a hold of Pressure Tek and get some of their Simple Cherry. Works great for house washes.