PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Kit - Carry One?

Hedgemaster
06-16-2011, 12:18 AM
I finally picked up a small, first-aid kit to keep in the truck.
It mostly consists of assorted bandages, but also has a "cold pack", some sort of antiseptic wipes, tape, gauze, latex gloves, tweezers, and a small book of info on how to treat minor injuries.

In addition to that, I keep a box of miscellaneous things of the first-aid/just in case nature including items like:
Nail clippers
Tweezers
IV tape (sticks to most surfaces - comes in handy for leaving notes too!)
My poison ivy "battle station" - Tecnu, Ivarest (foaming), bottles of water for rinsing, roll of paper towels
Rain poncho
Battery operated "glow stick" flashlight
Roadside emergency kit

I'm sure there are some things I'm forgetting.

I want to add a few things like alcohol, liquid bandage, some sort of eye wash perhaps.

Do you keep emergency items handy?
What items have you found most useful?

Derrell Jacobs
06-16-2011, 12:25 AM
I have thought about carrying a first aid kit in each of my vehicles for minor scrapes and cuts from every day work. It happens to me "the boss man" more than anybody on my crew.

picframer
06-16-2011, 05:21 AM
The rules here as to what we had to carry are outlined by Occupational Health and Safety, I had to buy the First Aid kits that were approved, they were expensive and had to be updated every two years, we were also required to carry fire extinguishers in the vehicle and on some equipment.

You might be able to call your local regulatory body to confirm what you need.

Steve
06-16-2011, 03:28 PM
The rules here as to what we had to carry are outlined by Occupational Health and Safety

Who would be requiring this? Is this a government regulation or is it an insurance regulation?

bruces
06-16-2011, 05:12 PM
in canada its a government thing .

mark123
06-16-2011, 06:41 PM
I needed one today and didn't have one. :(

By the time I drove to the urgent care center my little cut was a fist-sized hematoma. :(

Hedgemaster
06-16-2011, 07:06 PM
I can't imagine there's a requirement to have a kit if you don't have employees, but when it comes to the govt., who knows.

Last year I burned my forearm on the exhaust while lifting up a mower to get it into a yard. (another reason I won't mow lawns that require the mower to be carried up steps)

Burns, cuts, and eye injuries seem like they would be fairly common, and having a way to treat them would be helpful.

mark123
06-16-2011, 07:14 PM
It may be a good thing that I didn't have a kit but only in this case. If I'd have had a kit in the truck I would have probably cleaned and bandaged myself and gone back to work. I may have regretted that decision judging by how bad the wound really is.

I am not saying not to get one, I just know how I think and I'd have chanced it when I know it's not a good idea.

Fisher
06-16-2011, 10:34 PM
I can't imagine there's a requirement to have a kit if you don't have employees, but when it comes to the govt., who knows.

Last year I burned my forearm on the exhaust while lifting up a mower to get it into a yard. (another reason I won't mow lawns that require the mower to be carried up steps)

Burns, cuts, and eye injuries seem like they would be fairly common, and having a way to treat them would be helpful.

Requirement for a kit? Come to TN, (this may actually be a wide spread thing) here we are required to have workers comp insurance, even if you don't have employees, ok sure that's everywhere I suppose. However, all owners, partners, or agents must actually insure themselves now even if it's a sole proprietor with no employees. You can pay the state something like $200 for an an exemption which revokes any rights to holding anyone else accountable and suing them. However, you can only do this with one company so if you happen to run two you'd want to exempt yourself under the one with the higher rate.

Hedgemaster
06-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Requirement for a kit? Come to TN, (this may actually be a wide spread thing) here we are required to have workers comp insurance, even if you don't have employees, ok sure that's everywhere I suppose. However, all owners, partners, or agents must actually insure themselves now even if it's a sole proprietor with no employees. You can pay the state something like $200 for an an exemption which revokes any rights to holding anyone else accountable and suing them. However, you can only do this with one company so if you happen to run two you'd want to exempt yourself under the one with the higher rate.

No requirement to carry worker's comp insurance in PA unless you have employees. This is why so many guys use help that is paid under the table - they can't afford to have "employees". I'll just have to stick to doing all the work by myself.

As a sole proprietor, I am not required to have health insurance (and I don't) either. I do have to have liability insurance - and I do.

Steve
06-17-2011, 02:07 PM
I needed one today and didn't have one.

By the time I drove to the urgent care center my little cut was a fist-sized hematoma.

How did this happen?

mark123
06-17-2011, 08:00 PM
How did this happen? I was loading my mower into the back of my truck when I slipped and all of my 220 lbs came down on my shin on the corner of the tailgate.

I rolled around for a while and invented some new words and then decided it would be ok and I'll just go back to work. Then I looked down and my sock was all bloody. I figured I should go get it checked out. It took me about 30 minutes to get to the urgent care center and by that time the knot was huge and hard. The doctor had to cut, express and pack it. The packing is a 6" strip of gauze that I have to pull out 1/2" every morning. :( Ewwww.

ToastedToad
06-17-2011, 09:25 PM
^^Ouch, them shin dingers hurt about more than anything. Hope you recover quickly!

As far as first aid kits...well, I have a pile of rags.

I bleed daily, I guess it's my work style...get after it! But now that I read this post, maybe I'll throw a little kit together.

SpokaneSRC
06-17-2011, 09:57 PM
I started carrying a first aid kit a couple of weeks ago right after I sliced my finger good. The property owner was home and came out to pay me and I have my finger cupped in my hand trying to catch all the blood. So he pays me then wants to stand around shooting the s@%t. Finally I just showed him and said "I need to go". Probably could have used a stitch or two but it healed up fine.

calebmoss
06-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Well i have an injured story

many of you know im building a trailer to start my lawn care biz.

I had the trailer up on stands and i let it off the stands but the tounge cought on the tires. i went to left the tounge up and it fell knocking me down and it pended me under the tounge landing on my knee. my knee is brusied and sore.

Steve
06-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Ouch! That sounds like it could have gotten ugly!