PDA

View Full Version : How to start??

Cashin H&P
06-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi, this is going to be a long post because I have a lot of questions on my mind right now.

So i guess a list of questions will be the easiest to under stand. So here goes.

1. Do I buy a lawn mower first or a trailer? My friend( also a landscaper) has his old trailer that is just sitting in his yard. He offered it to me for 300$ its 4x6 with no ramp. I have a ramp for my 4x4 that I can use on the trailer. But Im not sure If it makes sense to buy that and use my fathers mower(honda self propelled push mower) until I can get one of my own. Or buy a mower and just put it in the bed of my truck until I can afford a trailer.

2. How do I get accounts(mowing, mulching, ect.) I have had a few jobs here and there but how do I get consistent work.

3. My fathers cousin owns a Bridal shop in my town. Would it be smart to try and get them as a commercial account. The whole property is probably about an acer and a half.

I think thats it for now but Im sure I will think of more

Thanks

mark123
06-12-2011, 11:36 PM
You don't need a trailer for a push mower. Heck, I don't even have one for my walk-behind. A trailer without a ramp is no good. If you have to hook up a ramp every time you stop you may as well hook it up to your truck's tailgate and leave the trailer at your friends. I wouldn't pay $300 for a 4x6.

To get consistent work will take time. Start now and go for it. Be aggressive, be cheaper, be willing to take jobs others won't. Just put yourself out there but make sure you're making enough to stay in business.

If you're going to take a commercial account make sure you have enough insurance. Most of the commercial jobs around here require 2 million in liability but ask because some don't require as much. You can make more money on small residential lawns though because a small city lot is about 1/8th of an acre (around 5000 square feet) which takes about 15 mintues and I charge between $20 and $25. Line up 4 and you can make $100 in an hour. Commercial jobs usually take bids and if you can get $100 for 2 hours of work you'd be lucky.

Cashin H&P
06-12-2011, 11:58 PM
I figured having a trailer would me a good thing to just have, I had a feeling that 300 for a 4x6 was a little much. I should hve also wrote that I have an older john deere lawn tractor with a 48" mower deck on it that I could use which i could put on the trailer.

Should I go door to door and advertise that way or craigs list?

mark123
06-13-2011, 12:14 AM
I figured having a trailer would me a good thing to just have, I had a feeling that 300 for a 4x6 was a little much. I should hve also wrote that I have an older john deere lawn tractor with a 48" mower deck on it that I could use which i could put on the trailer.
A 48" mower means it cuts 48" but the deck is a bit larger than that and a 4' trailer is 48" and that's it. Your JD probably won't fit.

Also, if you are going to use a ramp you MUST use safety straps and not ride the mower up the ramp. Rolling a mower on top of yourself can kill you.

mark123
06-13-2011, 12:23 AM
... Should I go door to door and advertise that way or craigs list?
Why do you feel you need to choose one or the other?

Cashin H&P
06-13-2011, 07:11 AM
I just didint know what was more efficient.

mark123
06-13-2011, 08:24 AM
I just didint know what was more efficient. I'm not sure there is a such thing as "efficient advertising". :D It's mostly a waste of time and/or money.

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-13-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure there is a such thing as "efficient advertising". :D It's mostly a waste of time and/or money.
Both........ Word of mouth is way to go.

I spent about $600 in advertising this year and it produced squat. Almost everyone is a referral or googled me.

Cashin H&P
06-13-2011, 08:59 PM
I actually went door to door today on the streets near my house. I got 1 spring clean up(i know kinda late but is work) and a mulch job (same house) I also may have a job clearing brush. I also have a few houses that I will mow once and a while and 1 mow account that I will be mowing once a week as long as they liked my quote ( house is on an acer with probably 1/2-3/4 of an acer of grass to mow) Going door to door seems to work i have found

Steve
06-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Welcome to our forum. Maybe you could do some co-marketing with your dad's cousin's shop.
Maybe you could create some door hangers that promote lawn care on one side and maybe the bridal store on another side?

Maybe they could pay for the printing and you could hand them out?