PDA

View Full Version : Past due samples

cleancutlawncare5382
06-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Good morning Guys, I need some help today. I have a customer I have to serve a past due letter to today. This is her 2nd season and was kinda slow last year. This year she just stopped paying altogether.

She paid for April but now currently behind 5 mows in May and 2 for June. I normally bill her monthly on the last mow and she post dates a check for the 1st part on the next month.

Could I see some of your past due notices to get an idea how to word it?? This will be my 1st communication with her so I want to start out polite.

Thanks

cleancutlawncare5382
06-12-2011, 08:57 AM
I decided not to send a "payment past due" nasty gram. I wasn't sure how to word it so I opted for a phone call instead. ( No answer had to leave a message)
I stated she was getting a little behind in payment and i was concerned, asked if she still needed my services to continue. She said yes still need lawn taken care of but was short this month and would pay next week.

Yesterday during our normal visit to her street we skipped her. I'm thinking she's done until payment is made.

Because of all this I have started using a new monthly invoice. ( payment due within 7 days.) Before this year I really didn't have a terms policy. People either paid on the day of services or would write a check on the last day of services of the month.

What would you do, shut her off or continue to mow?

jymie
06-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Do you have a signed contract with her? Or at least a signed estimate? I would stop service until you get paid. Since she is a problem, I would insist on payment after the service each time you cut.

mark123
06-12-2011, 08:23 PM
I have an off topic question for you: Why, if you have a domain name, are you using a road-runner email address?
anything [at] montgomerysqualitylawncare [dot] com would look more professional.

cleancutlawncare5382
06-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Do you have a signed contract with her?

No contract.

She said Saturday she wouldn't have the money until next week, 6/21 or 6/22. I think she's just stalling. I plan to call her next week on the 22nd and ask if she's ready.
Bad thing is if I do continue, the grass will be 12" high.

Not sure where this one will end up.

cleancutlawncare5382
06-12-2011, 08:30 PM
I have an off topic question for you: Why, if you have a domain name, are you using a road-runner email address?
anything [at] montgomerysqualitylawncare [dot] com would look more professional.

Not sure how all the domain thing works. My son-in-law asked one day if I would like a website. He set it up and I maintain the content.

I don't know if they can do the email. Honestly I don't think anyone looks at the site anyway. I have had it up for two seasons now and never once has someone said " I seen your website"

mark123
06-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Not sure how all the domain thing works. My son-in-law asked one day if I would like a website. He set it up and I maintain the content.

I don't know if they can do the email. Honestly I don't think anyone looks at the site anyway. I have had it up for two seasons now and never once has someone said " I seen your website"

I've been getting about 3 calls per week from my web site. Sure, some are out of town lowballers and I get a bunch of foreclosure/ripoff companies trying to scam me into working at their properties but I also get most of my new business from my site.

Sorry for the off-topic. :)

jymie
06-13-2011, 06:50 AM

Your website should be a key to your success. Our site has a page dedicated to requesting quotes and we get a few requests per week. Also I have counters on each page so that I can gage how much traffic the site gets and which pages get the traffic. Your site if it is listed in the search engines then if it is written well, should be getting hits.

Steve
06-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Because of all this I have started using a new monthly invoice. ( payment due within 7 days.) Before this year I really didn't have a terms policy. People either paid on the day of services or would write a check on the last day of services of the month.

What would you do, shut her off or continue to mow?

Have you experimented yet with invoicing at the beginning of the month for that month's work? Maybe it would work out better if you got paid in advance.

Also, I would think until she pays, you should do no more work. No point in digging a deeper hole here that she may never pay to get out of.

Keep us posted on how this goes.

cleancutlawncare5382
06-15-2011, 05:45 AM
Have you experimented yet with invoicing at the beginning of the month for that month's work? Maybe it would work out better if you got paid in advance.

Great idea Steve. I will try that the next time a client wants monthly billing. Most of my customers pay the day of service and thats fine with me. Maybe I can convert current clients next season, that would be easier on them.

Steve
06-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Keep us posted on how this turns out for you.

cleancutlawncare5382
06-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Keep us posted on how this turns out for you.

Everything seems in order for the time being. Customer called and paid up past due invoice. I took the opportunity to go over the new payment terms with her and she agreed to them.

Terms: Invoice goes in the mail after the last service of the month. Payment due within 7 days. If not received services stop.

I still run the risk of being out 1 month fees. But itís a good 1st step and changes can be made as needed.

Steve
06-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Do you feel you might want to change your payment terms even more so in the future or is this good for now?