PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing News

Shark1611
06-08-2011, 11:20 AM
I was told last week that legally I am not to repair sprinklers, or even fertilize lawns in Texas with you having a license. I find it odd that a simple repair, or putting down fertilizer would need a license.

Can someone tell me where to start so I can do my job? I have contracts with apartments and it is some much easier for me to fix a stuck head, than for me or the manager to go find someone!

Same goes with fertilizing.

calebmoss
06-08-2011, 02:53 PM
You Proably should start with geeting your license.

Fisher
06-08-2011, 03:54 PM
http://www.agr.state.tx.us/agr/program_render/0,1987,1848_5325_0_0,00.html?channelId=5325 for certification on your agricultural applications.

In Tennessee (and I'm sure all states) It is also illegal to apply chemicals without state certification. It's even written on our states site that I can't even spot treat an area with round up even if the customer handed it to me and I did it for free. This could result in a $5K fine and an 11m29d sentence.

http://www.license.state.tx.us/ for plumbing and all other trade licenses.

Shark1611
06-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Dang! You know I have insurance and pay taxes and most do not around here. Too bad they do not give them that overhead cost as well.

The Cleaning Doctor
06-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Would the same apply if you switched to organics? Might want to look into that.

Fisher
06-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Dang! You know I have insurance and pay taxes and most do not around here. Too bad they do not give them that overhead cost as well.

The more legit you are the harder and more expensive it gets to stay that way. If I had no license, insurance or taxes to pay I could operate for less, make more money and maybe even get away with a small warning when caught as they would feel that I was just to ignorant to know better or to even seek out the knowledge I need to be in compliance.

When I first got my landscaper certificate in Tennessee ($200) required to buy from legitimate nurseries. Which of course the nursery one over 600 square feet has to pay the state a fee of $200 as well, even the hobbyist nursery (one under 600 square feet) has to pay the state $100 and account for every plant they grow, sell, trade.

To use agricultural chemicals there are several to choose from and you may need several depending on where and what you're doing, they cost $200 each and have prerequisites that seem to cost $200 each as well. These are all to keep everyone compliant. Except for everyone that's non compliant and those that aren't as well may be less likely to be reported as the bigger guy won't feel that they're a threat to their business.

wandfsmall
06-08-2011, 11:49 PM
The more legit you are the harder and more expensive it gets to stay that way. If I had no license, insurance or taxes to pay I could operate for less, make more money and maybe even get away with a small warning when caught as they would feel that I was just to ignorant to know better or to even seek out the knowledge I need to be in compliance.

When I first got my landscaper certificate in Tennessee ($200) required to buy from legitimate nurseries. Which of course the nursery one over 600 square feet has to pay the state a fee of $200 as well, even the hobbyist nursery (one under 600 square feet) has to pay the state $100 and account for every plant they grow, sell, trade.

To use agricultural chemicals there are several to choose from and you may need several depending on where and what you're doing, they cost $200 each and have prerequisites that seem to cost $200 each as well. These are all to keep everyone compliant. Except for everyone that's non compliant and those that aren't as well may be less likely to be reported as the bigger guy won't feel that they're a threat to their business.

Gotta love the government, I am sorry for your stress but on a lighter note it reminds me how our engine shop is not the only ones with regulation problems.

Steve
06-09-2011, 07:08 AM
I had thought you only needed a license to work on irrigation systems when you are initially installing them and need to put a back flow device in.

Have you found anything more about this?

Did you hear that you couldn't do this from a reliable source?

wandfsmall
06-09-2011, 07:15 AM
I had thought you only needed a license to work on irrigation systems when you are initially installing them and need to put a back flow device in.

that could depend on what county he is in, it should be under building codes and also could be up to interpretation as they are likely a little vague.

Growing Green
06-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Here in Texas you need some type of license to work on sprinkler systems. There are 3 different types deppending on what you want to do.

As for organic products. You can spread organic fertilizer and you do not need a license. If you want to put corn gluten out which is organic as well, but helps with weeds then YOU DO have to have pesticide license since you are working on clearing out weeds. Absolutely crazy and ridiculous, but oh well. Let's keep on truckin!

Matt

The Cleaning Doctor
06-09-2011, 10:07 AM
If you want to put corn gluten out which is organic as well, but helps with weeds then YOU DO have to have pesticide license since you are working on clearing out weeds.

You - No Officer, this is a slow release organic fertilizer.
Officer - That is used by many to control weeds from germinating.
You - Really? No wonder my over seeding did not work and I had to do it again.

You are not actually cleaning out or killing weeds, you are preventing them from germinating. But if you use it as a fertilizer with a side effect????

Hope the info helps the OP now. At least he only needs to be a journeyman plumber now.... LOL

Growing Green
06-09-2011, 05:59 PM
You - No Officer, this is a slow release organic fertilizer.
Officer - That is used by many to control weeds from germinating.
You - Really? No wonder my over seeding did not work and I had to do it again.

You are not actually cleaning out or killing weeds, you are preventing them from germinating. But if you use it as a fertilizer with a side effect????

Hope the info helps the OP now. At least he only needs to be a journeyman plumber now.... LOL

HAHA! I already have this planned out when I get caught putting down Corn Gluten.

"What? It controls weeds? I had no idea, I just use this as my fertilizer." hehe

Matt

Shark1611
06-09-2011, 07:59 PM

I am meeting with code enforcement tomorrow and see. This is a big deal to me because i have contracts where. Repair systems and maintain property. Most of my income is commercial. Again no small matter. I do not mind the training but i am sure it will take me a while to be licensed!

Steve
06-10-2011, 04:21 AM
Let us know how the meeting goes.

Shark1611
06-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Let us know how the meeting goes.

Well they were not aware of this being an issue so a call was made. Found out that it is true. They stated that they know a lot of folks are doing this and it would be very hard to manage.

I would like to know just how many on this form know this. According to the law the only thing I am good to do is mow and trim lawns!!!!!! I think it is wrong that if all one wants to do is "repair" meaning replace or adjust a head that it should not be a full dog gone blown test. To me it is way too much over kill!! Guess it's just me.

wandfsmall
06-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Well they were not aware of this being an issue so a call was made. Found out that it is true. They stated that they know a lot of folks are doing this and it would be very hard to manage.

I would like to know just how many on this form know this. According to the law the only thing I am good to do is mow and trim lawns!!!!!! I think it is wrong that if all one wants to do is "repair" meaning replace or adjust a head that it should not be a full dog gone blown test. To me it is way too much over kill!! Guess it's just me.

I agree the laws make it hard to run a legit company, maybe that is why so many people do not even try.