PDA

View Full Version : New Member from Minnesota

cbservicesllc
06-06-2011, 12:10 AM
I've been working in the irrigation and landscape industry since 2003. In Fall 2007, I left full time work as a foreman to go back to school for my Fire Science degree. In the meantime, I started my company focusing on Irrigation Service in Fall 2008. Since then, I've progressed from a few Irrigation installation projects a season to now include lawn maintenance in my services.

I got a job as a full time firefighter last Fall; so only working 10 shifts a month has left me with a decent amount of time to grow my business. Last month I bought a Gravely ZTR with a JRCO dethatcher, a trailer, and a backpack blower. I also managed to convert an ATV spray tank and boom into a nice little attachment for herbicide application.

I'm adding some mowing accounts as word of mouth spreads and I am hoping to make this a nice little business on the side and a "Plan B" in case something should happen that might not be able to perform as a firefighter some day.

Steve
06-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Welcome to our forum!

That is fantastic! What about offering snow plowing too? Would that be helpful?

wandfsmall
06-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Welcome to our forum!

Snow plowing would be great where your located but it also might be hard with working at the fire department for those days your on duty. I have a fireman customer here that works with someone on the opposite shift that works together. It works for them as a partnership. something you might think about to get winter income.

cbservicesllc
06-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I have thought about snowplowing. Wandfsmall brings up a good point. With my shift schedule, I would need to have someone available to go out if I'm at work... decisions, decisions!

ringahding1
06-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Where are u in MN? If you are serious about this plan "B".....give a call! ! Bryan Ring

Derrell Jacobs
06-15-2011, 11:17 PM
I am a minnesota lawn business owner, I have not yet gone into the irrigation yet.

cbservicesllc
06-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Welcome to our forum!

I've thought about snow plowing, but with working 24 hour shifts I'd definitely have to get someone on standby.

cbservicesllc
06-17-2011, 10:49 PM
ringahding1, I'm in the NW Metro area... how about you? Nothing real huge at this point, but I have the ability to expand...

Derrell, the biggest thing with irrigation, if you ever decide to attempt it, is RESEARCH! Know what you are doing, take a class, etc. I've been working with irrigation for 8 years and I see poor quality installation and service ALL THE TIME. Even with years of experience I know I haven't even scratched the surface. It takes a while to learn the tricks of the trade, but a little research and classroom learning can go a long way.

Steve
06-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Maybe you could find someone that works the opposite shift of you? Or maybe even two other guys on the department and that could help ensure one could perform the snow plowing when the others were working on the FD.