PDA

View Full Version : SCAG is sluggish - HELP!

element009
06-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Hi all,

I recently bought a SCAG 36 belt drive walk behind mower. It's pretty old, about 15 yrs I think. Model is SW36-14KA. Anyway, it's been working pretty well for the past 2 months, but in the last few days, I'm having a lot of trouble when I have any kind of incline. In fact, I've had to almost push the mower along to get it going. The Kawasaki motor sounds the same as it did 2 months ago, and the Peerless transmission seems to be spinning the same. On flat ground, the mower seems to be moving along just fine.

I was thinking it could have something to do with the brakes. I noticed the right break is not as effective as the left, but I just don't know. Sometimes when I am doing a 180 degree turn, I am noticing that the mower seems heavier to pull back, whereas in the past it was a smoother, easier movement. Could the brake have something to do with these symptoms, or is it a bigger problem, such as motor or transmission or something more??

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks guys.

shadrach
06-04-2011, 01:21 PM
belts may be loose - they stretch over time

element009
06-04-2011, 02:24 PM
that may be the case because I did notice the belt on the right side was off the track a little. I was able to get it back on by hand....does that sound too loose?

mark123
06-04-2011, 02:30 PM
that may be the case because I did notice the belt on the right side was off the track a little. I was able to get it back on by hand....does that sound too loose?

Yeah. That's the first thing to check. If it happens after replacing the belts then check the transmission bearings. If any of the pulleys wobble (they shouldn't) then you may want to get it looked at to maybe rebuild the transmission.

element009
06-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Yeah. That's the first thing to check. If it happens after replacing the belts then check the transmission bearings. If any of the pulleys wobble (they shouldn't) then you may want to get it looked at to maybe rebuild the transmission.

One of the pulleys is wobbling....the big one right under the trans

wandfsmall
06-05-2011, 11:14 AM
One of the pulleys is wobbling....the big one right under the trans

see if you can tell if it is the pulley or shaft, also good lawn and garden belts do not stretch only the junk as they are corded belts on the newer equipment. they do however wear to the point they do not work.

mark123
06-05-2011, 03:01 PM
One of the pulleys is wobbling....the big one right under the transYou could have a bad transmission bearing requiring a rebuild.

element009
06-08-2011, 10:35 AM
I am still debating where to go with this. As I mentioned, the big pulley right under the trans is wobbling in any gear. There's actually a light grinding sound. I think it's coming from the wobbly pulley itself. The trans is the Peerless 700-026 model. I see that I can buy a whole new trans for 200. I've just reached out to the guy I bought it from to see if this is the original trans.

Anybody have any experience replacing a Peerless? Is it very difficult/time consuming? I'm thinking a rebuild will cost me over 100 bucks anyway, so maybe a new one would be better.

mark123
06-08-2011, 05:29 PM
I had the same issue with a 1 year old Peerless 700-070a. I'd go with a new one because I believe it comes with a warranty.

I have a 700-070a in my old Toro, too and it's never been replaced. It is 11 years old. The new Toro will be 1 year old on 6/22/11 and it's already been to the shop for the transmission.

wandfsmall
06-08-2011, 06:02 PM
I am still debating where to go with this. As I mentioned, the big pulley right under the trans is wobbling in any gear. There's actually a light grinding sound. I think it's coming from the wobbly pulley itself. The trans is the Peerless 700-026 model. I see that I can buy a whole new trans for 200. I've just reached out to the guy I bought it from to see if this is the original trans.

Anybody have any experience replacing a Peerless? Is it very difficult/time consuming? I'm thinking a rebuild will cost me over 100 bucks anyway, so maybe a new one would be better.

I would buy the new transmission that is lower then dealer cost. must have gotten it when distributors were dumping peerless while techumseh was going down.