PDA

View Full Version : John Deere aquires Lesco!!!

Steve
02-19-2007, 04:57 PM
WOW what do you think of this? How will this effect prices and the industry?

Deere Agrees To Acquire LESCO, Inc., Leader In Landscape Consumables (http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070219/nym026.html?.v=83) - LESCO, a Cleveland, Ohio-based company, is a leading supplier of consumable products, such as fertilizer, seed and chemicals, for lawn maintenance professionals and golf course superintendents. Upon closing, the company will become part of John Deere Landscapes, a leading wholesale distributor of irrigation, nursery, lighting and landscape materials in the United States.

"This plan is consistent with Deere's growth aspirations," said Nate Jones, president, Commercial & Consumer Division. "We seek business opportunities that bring new customers to John Deere and that offer new products and services to our existing customers. We have a strong commitment to serve professional landscaping and golf course customers."

Jeffrey Rutherford, LESCO's president and chief executive officer, said, "We are pleased to announce this transaction, and we believe it enables shareholders to receive the benefit of our efforts to increase shareholder value. In addition, customers of both LESCO and John Deere benefit because of this decision. LESCO, a strong leader in its segment of the market, now joins with John Deere to provide a more complete set of products and services."

The transaction will roughly double the number of store locations for John Deere Landscapes with the addition of LESCO's 332 stores, strengthening its presence across the U.S. and especially in the eastern seaboard states.

"Commercial landscape and lawn care professionals seek business partners who assist them in growing their businesses," said Dave Werning, president of John Deere Landscapes. "The addition of LESCO to our company will enable John Deere Landscapes to continue helping customers be more profitable and productive."

tiedeman
02-19-2007, 05:24 PM
That is totally amazing! I saw something about that earlier in the day on another news site.

Steve
02-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Do you ever use their products? Are you concerned about pricing?

tiedeman
02-19-2007, 05:56 PM
John Deere landscapes has been trying to get me as a customer for the last 3 months. *They have took me out to lunch twice now and paid for it both times. *

I don't use lesco because the closest place is about 45 miles away.

Steve
02-19-2007, 06:36 PM
How close is John Deere landscapes?

What's your take on them pro vs. con?

tiedeman
02-19-2007, 07:52 PM
The closest one of them is also 45 miles away.

Their prices are great. Some of the best that I have seen around. I would want them to deliver to me, but the only probably they charge a $75 minimum shipping fee each time. Even if I only order one bag.

Steve
02-20-2007, 03:03 PM
WOW.

It is amazing that they are putting in so much time to try and make you a customer. Taking you out to lunch and all.

I am surprised they haven't asked you to open a franchise for them in your area to fill in that geographic gap!

What do they say to you when you tell them they are too far away or that their delivery cost is too high? Have they offered any suggestions? Or better ways to help?

tiedeman
02-20-2007, 05:03 PM
They have always tried to work around it by saying that they will ship UPS or if the delivery guy is in the area I am sure that he could drop off something for you.

In my opinion, if they were only about 10-15 miles away then I would without a doubt use them all the time.