PDA

View Full Version : Gas or Electric or Depends

aduttonater
06-02-2011, 12:53 AM
I was on a job site the other day and was thinking about what is better preferred when it comes down to getting the work done in the eyes of all the other landscapers out there, who use the same tools.

I'd rather use electric, because you don't run out, and it's not as loud or as heavy of equipment to operate.

The only downside to it, is that there might not be electricity on a property, or if your doing commercial property then forget it, your going to want to use Gas.

Hedgemaster
06-02-2011, 07:54 AM
I mow lawns for several people who had purchased electric and/or rechargeable mowers to mow their own lawns and got tired of it.

I've watched people struggling to cut grass that's got barely over a weeks worth of growth.

Methinks there's a reason that "the industry" uses gas equipment. ;)

Steve
06-02-2011, 09:00 AM
I'd rather use electric, because you don't run out, and it's not as loud or as heavy of equipment to operate.

How do you deal with the lack of power from such equipment?

aduttonater
06-03-2011, 03:00 AM
How do you deal with the lack of power from such equipment?

As long as the job gets done with accuracy, is all that matters to me. No matter what type of equipment you are using, it's going to provide the same after result.

I don't go buying cheap new electric tools, nor do I buy used electric tools. I get the best bang for my buck, with out spending too much money.

Also when it's come down to using gas compared to electric on job sites, I've had more success with my electric equipment then the gas.

Johnny_boy02
06-03-2011, 03:10 AM
I would rather carry around a slightly heavier piece of equipment and have the power and maneuverability than having a to drag a cord all over a property.

If I hired a professional to do a job and they showed up with cheap tools I would send them packing.

Steve
06-03-2011, 05:42 AM
If you played up the electric part of your business that could give you a niche others in your area don't offer.

bruces
06-03-2011, 09:42 AM
what do you do when it rains ?

Hedgemaster
06-03-2011, 09:32 PM
If you played up the electric part of your business that could give you a niche others in your area don't offer.

How do you "play up" the fact that you're using less than optimal equipment?

I guess if you're mowing postage stamp sized "lawns" in the city you could find people who think that using electric is saving the planet somehow...

http://showmethehoney.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/coal-power-plant.jpg

:D

;)

Hedgemaster
06-03-2011, 09:36 PM

Wait a few days until it's dry?

Oh, then it's going to be too high... Hmmm...

;)

I dunno. I guess if you can make it work for you - go for it.
I tried using my cordless trimmer on a small property as an experiment. It failed miserably. Underpowered and didn't hold a charge long enough.
I'll be damned if I'd drag a cord around though.

aduttonater
06-04-2011, 10:06 AM

I stay indoors. When it rains I do not work. lol I'm not an idiot.

aduttonater
06-04-2011, 10:09 AM
I dunno. I guess if you can make it work for you - go for it.
I tried using my cordless trimmer on a small property as an experiment.

When you say cordless do you mean Gas Powered or Battery charge powered.

aduttonater
06-04-2011, 10:12 AM

Thats a great idea Steve, I know that using electric will put out less gas fumes in the air. Maybe I can get environmentalists to become my customers. Then I can demonstrate other conservative ways to save the planet within a lawn care/ yard clean up business.

aduttonater
06-04-2011, 10:16 AM
I would rather carry around a slightly heavier piece of equipment and have the power and maneuverability than having a to drag a cord all over a property.

If I hired a professional to do a job and they showed up with cheap tools I would send them packing.

Dragging a cord around does suck. Always getting tangled around plants and rocks. As far as being sent home, I would never be sent home based on equipment.

Perhaps your dealing with stuck up rich snobs who expect to get the most expensive and best experience out of hiring their yard clean up team.

I keep things simple. I am not professional, but I do provide great work, that's along the lines of any professional. Even with my electric tools, I still show that I can get jobs done with confidence.

If I ever had a customer complain about my tools, I would walk right off their property before they sent me home. Then I'd tell them to have fun making up the difference of about $300 difference from what I am charging them.

Hedgemaster
06-04-2011, 07:52 PM
When you say cordless do you mean Gas Powered or Battery charge powered.

Cordless. As in rechargeable battery.

Before this business, all I ever used around the house was (initially) an electric trimmer, and then I switched to a cordless trimmer. It's "OK" for light stuff on lawns that are well maintained, but it isn't really practical for anything else.

aduttonater
06-05-2011, 04:39 AM
Cordless. As in rechargeable battery.

Before this business, all I ever used around the house was (initially) an electric trimmer, and then I switched to a cordless trimmer. It's "OK" for light stuff on lawns that are well maintained, but it isn't really practical for anything else.

Yea I would think that rechargeable is worse then electric. Thats why they sell spare batteries separate.