PDA

View Full Version : Hello From North Texas

TLC CO
05-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. About me...I am completely new to the lawn care and landscaping business, so really dont have a lot of knowledge on the subject. Here is a list of what i have, 2010 cub cadet rtz50, 2008 Husqvanrna 54" lawn tractor, cub cadet 21" electric start with mulch plug and bagger, 2 power heads with string trimmer, cultivator, edger, and brush cutter attachments. 16" and 18" echo chainsaw, DR chipper, Husqvarna stump grinder, and a Haulmark enclosed trailer to haul everything. I am equipped and ready to work. Doing all of this solo. Just need to get the customers coming in. Any advice is greatly appreciated. And Steve...From one Veteran to another, Thanks for serving Our Country.
TJ

Steve
05-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Hi TJ,

Welcome to our forum!

What got you interested in getting started?

TLC CO
05-28-2011, 11:06 AM
I have always loved working outdoors and being able to see a beautiful end result afterba little hard work. I worked for my dads business, but recently he has slowed way down. I thought I would give it a go and see if I can be successful doing something I really enjoy.
TJ

Steve
05-30-2011, 02:47 AM
Oh that is fantastic! Did he run a lawn care business too?

Having a father that operates a business should give you a real competitive advantage.

Does he offer you any business advice as you get yourself going?

TLC CO
05-30-2011, 10:39 AM
No, my dad owns a small manufacturing business. But he started with nothing and now has net sales over 750k. His best advice is not to get discouraged, very few businesses take off rapidly. It will be slow and painful at times, but stick to it if you want it to work.
I am just trying to get my name out there right now. Cold calling a lot of Realtors and property managers. There is one small business in town that I am going to do pro bono and they will let me put a small sign on the property advertising my business. The advantage there is that it is one of the busiest intersections in town. Maybe those will help.

Steve
05-31-2011, 05:31 AM
That is great advice.

All too often new business owners give up because they don't feel things are progressing fast enough. They look around and see other companies doing better and feel they just don't have what it takes, so they quit. When ultimately, if they just stuck with it, their business would grow over time.

I like the direction you are taking and I think it will lead you to more work.

Keep us posted on how all it goes.