PDA

View Full Version : KAWI 460V No spark

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-26-2011, 09:08 PM
I have a toro 44 with a kawasaki. Today ran out of gas and when I refilled it wouldnt fire up. I check plug which was pretty oily. Also no spark. I replaced plug but still didnt have spark.

For whatever reason I kept trying and it started up and ran until I was asked to move my truck. Then I went through the same check spark, clean plug, etc. After about a hour It started till I ran out of gas again. Then the same process.
I managed to get it running one more time till tall grass killed it.

What would cause no spark except when it wanted to?

bruces
05-27-2011, 12:04 AM
I havent played with enough kawasaki's to know ,but it sounds like a heat issue ,such as ignition coil ,ignition module,maybe a safety switch ,even a ground can be affected by heat , it truly could be a whole host of things that might be a real pain to track down .Good luck.

Steve
05-27-2011, 05:06 AM
such as ignition coil ,ignition module,maybe a safety switch

If I had some spare parts, I would swap them out at that time to try and see if any played a role in it.

shadrach
05-27-2011, 09:22 AM
could be a lot of things . Coil and fuse connections would be where I would start.

wandfsmall
05-27-2011, 05:28 PM
I have a toro 44 with a kawasaki. Today ran out of gas and when I refilled it wouldnt fire up. I check plug which was pretty oily. Also no spark. I replaced plug but still didnt have spark.

For whatever reason I kept trying and it started up and ran until I was asked to move my truck. Then I went through the same check spark, clean plug, etc. After about a hour It started till I ran out of gas again. Then the same process.
I managed to get it running one more time till tall grass killed it.

What would cause no spark except when it wanted to?

the most likely problem is the coil, Kawasaki has had a problem in the last few years with a coil supplier and we have seen quite a few bad coils. But for better troubleshooting give me the model of your engine and I can give you better info.

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-27-2011, 11:43 PM
fb460vfs08

Weird thing she fired right up today. Worked for a hour till 10" grass shut her down.Then started it 1 pull but when I would engage blades the engine died. This went on for about ten minutes. Then she worked flawless for the next 7 hours. Im at a lost!

wandfsmall
05-28-2011, 06:44 PM
fb460vfs08

Weird thing she fired right up today. Worked for a hour till 10" grass shut her down.Then started it 1 pull but when I would engage blades the engine died. This went on for about ten minutes. Then she worked flawless for the next 7 hours. Im at a lost!

that very easily could be a coil problem. I would also check compression as you said the plug was oily and compression could be more of a problem when the engine gets hot. The coil would run you about $48 the part number is 21121-2008

nickeckes
05-28-2011, 11:05 PM
how can it be a coil problem if he ran it out of gas??? try giving your mower a tune up, change that plug, im thinking your carb needs to be cleaned, when you ran it bone dry if there was any dirt at the bottom of your fuel tank, it would have ran into your carb and got stuck and gumed it up. .

nickeckes
05-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Wat the heck were you mowing a campground???

bruces
05-29-2011, 10:00 AM
how can it be a coil problem if he ran it out of gas??? try giving your mower a tune up, change that plug, im thinking your carb needs to be cleaned, when you ran it bone dry if there was any dirt at the bottom of your fuel tank, it would have ran into your carb and got stuck and gumed it up. .

it was clearly stated in the op ,that he had no spark .How can running out of gas leave him with no spark ?

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Wat the heck were you mowing a campground???

Yes... I had four mowers going and two broke down. One was just a spindle and we have a spare deck. I had a guy quit on me too. It was to much for him.
when you ran it bone dry if there was any dirt at the bottom of your fuel tank, it would have ran into your carb and got stuck and gumed it up.
I thought it was a carb problem to because of running it out of gas but the no spark changed my mind on that. I did empty the bowl and spray carb cleaner over the top of it but thats all I could do with the tools I had.

try giving your mower a tune up, change that plug,
The plug was changed and had no spark with the new plug. It did end up running with that plug later. The following day it ran for about 8 hours total with just a lunch break and a 10 minute period where engaging the blades killed it.

Not sure if its signs the coil is going, a bad ground, trigger, safety switches, or old girl just being mad that there was so much wet grass to cut.

I tried to unplug the safeties, might of missed one. I dont know now when it will act up or if it was a one time thing. I seen the new triggers cheap but havent priced the coil yet.

wandfsmall
05-29-2011, 07:42 PM
you should be able to unplug the wiring harness and test the safetys that way. As for fuel related issues a motor that runs fine for a while then acts up would be fuel solenoid, fuel filter or gas cap. A carb problem will show up during starting all of the time or run bad just after starting. I think you were likely on the right track. Good luck and let me know if you need or want an engine breakdown.

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-29-2011, 10:10 PM
where would the fuel solenoid be? I could use the breakdown.

wandfsmall
05-29-2011, 10:34 PM
I was talking in examples that engine does not have a fuel solenoid. as a reference if an engine has one it will most likely mounted to the carburetor. here is a breakdown of your engine. Unfortunately the part numbers are not correct on this breakdown but I can give you a part number for anything on the breakdown. As well as a price you will find it for.

nickeckes
05-30-2011, 12:13 AM
How Did you Test For Spark??