PDA

View Full Version : Toro Proline in-line fuse

pblawncare
05-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Got a 52 inch Toro proline that the inline fuse blew and melted in the fuse holder, can I change the inline fuse (removing the old fuse/fuse holder and splicing a new one in)? I believe its grounding out around the electric clutch but I'm not certain.

Any help would be GREAT!

Steve
05-26-2011, 06:27 AM
Yea that's what I would do. Just make sure you use the same size fuse.

What happened that led up to that? Did it just happen at once or did it melt over time? There might be another problem that caused that to happen.

pblawncare
05-26-2011, 07:46 AM
I just bought the machine, the guy said it had blown a fuse, he replaced it and it worked fine. I replaced the paddle switch that engages the blades and that safety switch on the t-bar, I learned early those things go out on the prolines first or close to it. If I replace this inline fuse, tape up any places it may be grounding out, and it still acts up I know its either the wiring harness/relay or the electric clutch itself I think.

Steve
05-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Take a picture of it before and after and show us what you do.

Also keep us posted on how this goes afterwards.

bruces
05-26-2011, 12:22 PM
use a multimeter or a powered test light ,and test for continuity between the the wire and ground,there should not be any .

pblawncare
05-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey guys,

I I replaced the in-line fuse, and holder and its no longer blowing the fuse. the blades will not come on though. I checked the wires from the electric clutch to the male and female connectors for knicks and splits, finding none. possibility that the ends on the connectors are bad? I'm REALLY hoping the clutch isn't going bad, knowing my luck though...:eek:

bruces
05-27-2011, 11:39 AM
check for power at the clutch

pblawncare
05-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Sadly, I think shes shot. I didn't get any power from the clutch w/ motor running. Pretty sure shes shot.

mark123
05-27-2011, 02:04 PM
You need to replace the clutch. Have you looked up a price yet?

pblawncare
05-27-2011, 03:13 PM
I did. $350.00 new (whole assembly) from the local Toro supplier here in Greensboro NC. I can install it myself, but for what I paid for the machine ($500.00 with 369 hrs.) the clutch doesn't bother me as much.

wandfsmall
05-27-2011, 03:53 PM
you could most likely get the clutch cheaper then that if you look around. Check the resistance on the clutch and post that. you can not tell if it is bad by checking the voltage.

mark123
05-27-2011, 03:57 PM
... from the local Toro supplier ...

Yeah, don't do that. Send me your model number and serial number range and I'll look for a better price.

pblawncare
06-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Yeah, don't do that. Send me your model number and serial number range and I'll look for a better price.

Model/Serial: 30176-592511
52" Toro Proline 14 HP Kohler Command

mark123
06-02-2011, 04:50 PM
OK. Make sure this is the correct part:

http://www.mowpart.com/p131509/Clutch-/-Brake-Asm/product_info.html

pblawncare
06-29-2011, 03:42 AM
hey fellas,

just an update:

got busy and had to put this toro 52 project on hold until i could get time (and energy) to work on it...and I found out it wasn't the clutch that was bad on this mower (took a mower battery and started the blades that way) and it ran fine, so its got to be something in the wiring, or the electronic control module that mounts on the side of the 14 HP Kohler motor... the good news, I didn't have to replace the clutch! the bad news...gotta change the wire that the in-line fuse had on it, do I have to have the fuse in line or can i get away with not having it?

wandfsmall
06-29-2011, 08:08 AM
hey fellas,

just an update:

got busy and had to put this toro 52 project on hold until i could get time (and energy) to work on it...and I found out it wasn't the clutch that was bad on this mower (took a mower battery and started the blades that way) and it ran fine, so its got to be something in the wiring, or the electronic control module that mounts on the side of the 14 HP Kohler motor... the good news, I didn't have to replace the clutch! the bad news...gotta change the wire that the in-line fuse had on it, do I have to have the fuse in line or can i get away with not having it?

I would keep the fuse it could stop you from replacing a electric clutch. kinda like I bet it just did.