PDA

View Full Version : getting ready to start

calebmoss
05-23-2011, 09:35 PM
i had made a post a few months ago about starting a lawn care company . well i have almost got my trailer done and i just ordered 500 bussiness cards and am going to tackle the legal stuff next week. Then start passing out flyers.

Here are a few pics of the trailer i have made. i have 485.00 in it and will need to spend another 60.00 on wood and it will be done

Its 5 x 10 1/4 inch thick angle

Needs Paint fennder and flooring

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb48/caleb_photos_bucket/trailer.jpg

Enclosed Led Light Bracket And ratchet strap hooks

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb48/caleb_photos_bucket/trailerlights.jpg

More pics when done to come.

Hedgemaster
05-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Nice.

Seeing as you can "build stuff", are you planning on doing something to allow you to add/remove sides for when you need to haul bulk materials/leaves?

calebmoss
05-23-2011, 10:15 PM
There are 10 of the ratchet strap holders so im planing on cutting 10 2 x 4s 10in long and notching them 1/4 inch on each side so they will fit in the holders then make a frame with 2 x 4s and cover them with 1 x 6s to haul debris.

i made the ramp removable.

Sprinkler Buddy
05-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Looking Good! Being your own Boss can be very rewarding, it can also be a big headache at times. Good Luck, glad to see ya go for the "American Dream".:)

Steve
05-24-2011, 03:22 AM
You did an amazing job! How long did it take you to do that? Everything looks amazingly accurate!

Also how did you come up with the size and design of it?

calebmoss
05-24-2011, 08:15 PM
i Probly have a little under 60 hours in the trailer some of that was set down and scrach my head " thinking " time because i have never built one before.

metal comes in 20 foot lenghs or 4 x 8 sheets so i did 5 and 10 foot lenghts and made the ramp 4 feet long.

When i out grow this mower i will get a comershal mower and move up to a bigger trailer.

Steve
05-25-2011, 03:34 AM
Did you enjoy making it or now that you have completed it, would you have rather purchased one instead?

Others reading this may be wondering which way is the best way to go with this.

calebmoss
05-25-2011, 12:11 PM
this is from the another forum

Sounds a little over kill for such a small trailer. I don't mean to be a Dick, but I would have thought you could have bought a trailer like that for under 5 or 600 dollars on craigslist easily. JMO

Looks good though.

My reply

Why buy used when you can build brand new what you and want how you want , with the satisfaction of building it your self ?

Any trailer new this size was 1200.00 plus tax i already had the axle wheels and tires. I am thinking about making a few trailers during downtime for some extra cash. If you can weld and have a welder i say go GOPHER it

calebmoss
05-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Its getting paint on tuesday.

i had to to wire in a plug on my truck yesterday and the lights work great.

Dragger
05-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Trailer looks great
It is fun when you can burn and melt metal to get the things you want

wandfsmall
05-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Nice looking trailer. I like the touch of the protected tail lights.

Johnny_boy02
05-30-2011, 01:31 AM
Some of your welds look a bit cold, but it should be fine. Having built a few trailers like this I would have to say if I can source some of the parts free (axle, wheels, etc) I would have probably built it myself as well. But I have access so a shop and a good welder so it wouldnt be that hard.

If I was trying to do this in my driveway as a first time project I would recommend buying a new or used trailer.

aduttonater
06-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Excellent trailer. I was thinking about building one, but bought a Big Tex 10X4 instead, and am planning on building sides on it.

calebmoss
06-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Some of your welds look a bit cold, but it should be fine. Having built a few trailers like this I would have to say if I can source some of the parts free (axle, wheels, etc) I would have probably built it myself as well. But I have access so a shop and a good welder so it wouldnt be that hard.

If I was trying to do this in my driveway as a first time project I would recommend buying a new or used trailer.

I built it at school before i graduated this past year with all the tools i needed.

Thanks for the comments everyone, I fill This forum is a whole lot better than some of the other larger ones out there.

Steve
06-03-2011, 04:27 AM
Its getting paint on tuesday.

i had to to wire in a plug on my truck yesterday and the lights work great.

I look forwards to seeing the new paint job.

Also, I was wondering, what do you do about registration and getting a title for a trailer when you build it yourself? Is that an issue at all or don't you need a license plate for it?

calebmoss
06-03-2011, 07:20 AM
I look forwards to seeing the new paint job.

Also, I was wondering, what do you do about registration and getting a title for a trailer when you build it yourself? Is that an issue at all or don't you need a license plate for it?

I took it to wil-ro tuesday and they said they would try to work it in this week so i drove by yesterday and it wasn't outside were i left it and there were some freshly painted beds so im thinking they probly have started on it.

I know that trailers of this size around here dont have license plates so im not sure. Im not sure what to do about registration and getting a title.

Also I was looking for insurance yesterday and stopped by state farm, they said i would have to be in business at least two years before they would Cover me, so im going to look at other companys now.

calebmoss
06-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Well I got my cards in the mail today. I wish i would have made my business name a bigger font, but they will work till there gone.

Vista print 500 cards printed front and back shipped for 22.00

front
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb48/caleb_photos_bucket/0603112133a.jpg

back
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb48/caleb_photos_bucket/0603112135a.jpg

Steve
06-06-2011, 05:08 AM
That is excellent. I think the cards look great! You are really getting a lot of things done!

calebmoss
06-06-2011, 09:38 PM
My mom works in insureance ( volenteer fire departments) in the office above where we have our auto poilcy so i had her check with them to see if they could write me a quote / policy and They told her yes that it wouldnt be a problem and that i just need to come in and answer some questions.

Wendsday im going to do licencing and taxes.
Tursday i have a job interview at lowes. i think i will have an advange with the knowlege of landscaping, carpentry, and welding. i HOPE i get it because i need something untill i get enough lawns to cover my overhead.

I dont / cant Start until i am legal and insured.

Steve
06-07-2011, 03:05 PM
You got a lot going on. I look forwards to hearing how all this goes.

calebmoss
06-07-2011, 09:31 PM
The trailer is painted i will pick it up tommrow after i get my licenes and taxs takeng care of. Then i might go get some pricing on signs. What is a range of pricing for vehicle signs and a 2 ft x 4 ft sign for the back of my trailer?

Steve
06-08-2011, 05:10 AM
I think it would depend on how you will mount it. If you had some sort of flat area that you could stick the lettering on, the sign material would be pretty cheap. If the sign company has to make the sign then it might be more expensive.

Have you thought about how you want it all to look and how you want the sign to be attached?

calebmoss
06-08-2011, 06:04 AM
magnets for my truck and gromets in the sign for my trailer.

calebmoss
06-08-2011, 02:29 PM
well it is painted and the wood is in the trailer.

Good news I got licenes and taxes taken care of
Bad news i am going to have to cut the axle off and move it back about two foot i dont have enough weight on the tounge with the gate on the back.
When i slide the axle back it should rase the back end of the trailer and it will sit more level.

I will also add the fenders when i move the axle.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb48/caleb_photos_bucket/jpeg_reencoded-2.jpg

I think they did a little over kill on the pin stripeing

Steve
06-09-2011, 07:03 AM
That looks really good!

What is your plan on where to put signs on the side of the trailer?

calebmoss
06-09-2011, 11:11 AM
im planing on one big one on the ramp.

wandfsmall
06-09-2011, 12:20 PM
im planing on one big one on the ramp.

I have always wondered how much gas mileage the big signs on the ramps take up....

Fisher
06-09-2011, 01:25 PM
I have always wondered how much gas mileage the big signs on the ramps take up....

The guy at my sign shop told me that he's been told that a full gate sign creates enough drag to burn an extra 4 miles per gallon. I suppose that also would vary depending on what you're pulling and what you're pulling it with.

My smallest trailer is 6'8" wide so the recommended the sign be no more than 30"x50" (50" just happened to be the width it would have to be to catch the support bars under the ramp This sign was priced to me at I believe $125. I would say around $15 per square foot for ramp signs. That does seem a little high to be considering that I had both truck doors done with a message along the side of the bed and the tailgate cleaned and matched to the doors for only $275.

Vista print does door magnets also Caleb. The key to getting a good deal with Vista is watching for their promotions. Get an order together and let it sit there in the system for a few days checking back every other day or so. They often offer free shipping, I recommend taking it as I always end up receiving my products from them in three days regardless of whether I used the upgraded shipping or the basic free shipping.

Last time I ordered cards I ordered 2500 and then only five hundred for a spin off company. By the time I actually placed this particular order I had to bump the 500 to 1000 for whatever reason the 1000 was cheaper than the 500. Received my 3500 cards in 3 business days and spent $27.

Steve
06-10-2011, 04:18 AM
The guy at my sign shop told me that he's been told that a full gate sign creates enough drag to burn an extra 4 miles per gallon. I suppose that also would vary depending on what you're pulling and what you're pulling it with.

That would be very interesting to test.

calebmoss
06-10-2011, 06:05 AM
well im thinking the sign will only be half the size of the ranp so if i put it at the bottom it wouldnt be much diffrence than hitting the mower.

Fisher
06-11-2011, 04:41 PM
I would like to see that as well Steve, probably applies more to smaller trailer/truck combos as I believe that with our trailers and weight of all that's on them that it might would be hard to make much more difference. Also, we do not leave much room between the equipment and the gate for air to really flow between and catch on the sign.

I may send an email to the Myth Busters about that issue and a couple others relating to the business.

calebmoss
06-13-2011, 02:33 PM
i am staining the wood today.

Steve
06-14-2011, 10:23 AM
I may send an email to the Myth Busters about that issue and a couple others relating to the business.

This just made me remember, they did a myth busters on how having a tailgate on a pickup or no tailgate, effected gas mileage.

I was shocked to see the findings.

The truck with the tailgate up, got better gas mileage!

calebmoss
06-17-2011, 07:35 AM
i got the axle moved back and the jack and fenders put on yeasterday. just waiting for it to be re painted.

Steve
09-11-2014, 12:21 PM
I do wonder how this finally came out once everything was completed.