PDA

View Full Version : HELP trimmer half dead..

jklawncare
05-21-2011, 02:33 PM
So i got a new trimmer therse about 4 hours of use on it
its an Efco (dont know model off the top of my head)

the thing ran great
i did my lawn
took it out with me for a week
then the next week i was letting it warm up and it died right when i was about to pick it up

cant get it to start for more than 10 seconds

i took out the spark plug and pulled the rope to get any fuel out incase it was flooded

i drained the tank

i drained the carb

i made a new mix of gas and oil

poured it in

Nothing

seafoam in it..maybe the carb was a little junked up

nothing

dumped it again

Re filled it

i got it to run for about 10 seconds at full throttle and then it dies
and even getting that little jolt is a pain in the ***

not sure what i can do
maybe you can help me out

id like to fix it myself before taking it in to get repaired and putting some money into it if im missing osmething minor..

bruces
05-21-2011, 03:29 PM
warranty ?

CanadayLandscaping
05-21-2011, 05:06 PM
I am leaning to a carb problem. It sounds like it's not getting a good gas flow through it. I had a old McCullogh (sp?) that would do the same thing. I took the carb apart and gave it a good part by part cleaning, replaced a diaghram, and it runs great now.

Johnny_boy02
05-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Where did you buy it? If you got it at like Home Depot/ big box store return it and get a new one. If you got it a new equipment/ repair shop they may want to attempt to fix it.

jklawncare
05-21-2011, 05:59 PM
i bought it off a guy from craigslist
the trimmer head was brand new and the brush cutter head had some slight use

he said he put two hours on it and it sure looked like he only put 30 minutes on it, he said he got it at a shop that was selling them somewhere but it had a home depot tag on it

( the guy had LOADS of equipment for sale and most were duplicates, he was also from a bad area so i assume he took them off a truck or broke into a store)

long story short, im suspicious of a carb problem as well, ill try cleaning it out completely and if no luck ill turn to a repair shop, just thinking maybe some of you would have some other form of input but i cant think of much. All of my equipment has been messing up lately and im just about sick of it, i dont have time to diagnose and repair with all my lawns needing to be done, i also dont have the money to take them all in aha

wandfsmall
05-21-2011, 06:19 PM
I kinda just got that sick feeling when you thing something really bad happened. I would check compression, I know of a few tricks that will make a shot trimmer run long enough to sell it.

By the way I am not sharing how to fool someone to think the engine is good so don't ask and I also hope anyone else who knows will not tell as it is wrong to do but it can happen.

Johnny_boy02
05-21-2011, 09:32 PM
If you assumed he was selling stolen equipment you got what you paid for.

Karma.

Honestly I hope it never runs again:rolleyes:

jklawncare
05-21-2011, 09:38 PM
I didnt suspect it until i got on later taht day and he had 10 other posts up..

Johnny_boy02
05-22-2011, 11:14 PM
I didnt suspect it until i got on later taht day and he had 10 other posts up..

I see. Well then good luck!