PDA

View Full Version : Client having $$ issues

seanbsean
05-21-2011, 06:12 AM
Ok possible client has a large property. Job downgrade and lost spouse. Possible client wanted to be "honest" with me. Possible client explained this and I guess was looking for a deal. I confirmed with other contracted lawn services that the going rate for that area was $200 per week/ per lawn. Includes mow, trim around the various parameters and blow/ clean up. Very simple, but that's the going rate due to the beauty of these properties.

So the possible client may have a ride mower I could use instead of mying ** but it has problems.. it won't start, I did not look at it.

So I thought about it, my concern is using other peoples equipment, this may become a liability issue - so I'll pass on that. I'd get the blame if it died even if it worked I guess, I have some concerns about that.

As for a special deal?? I could take week by week and pay on the spot in the event of bankruptcy.. Not sure how to handle this one. I would like to get this property in my portfolio and also as a reference. i guess I could toss an incentive idea that if the possible client could pass me some clients my way????

Any suggestions?

Sprinkler Buddy
05-21-2011, 07:44 AM
If your looking for work in that area, I would cut him a brake to get known there. I would request pay by the cut in that situation. Use your own equipment! You don't want to be mowing his yard cheap and buying him a new mower. You don't even need to ask him to pass you clients, you will get noticed there.

Sounds like a good way to get your foot in the door if your building up your business or looking to replace some of your current customers with higher paying accounts down the road.

It also sounds like you already have made up your mind. Yes, I would go for it.
Don't lack quality because of the money later in the season, that too will get noticed if you decide to take this on. Good Luck!

seanbsean
05-21-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm heading back today and I will see how I can work something out. The more I thought of it.. I will do it for less to just get noticed in the neighborhood. Its a start for a bigger lawns.. Should I post a sign up on the property stated "Lawn care done by blah blah blah..call: xxx-xxx-xxxx" just an idea...:cool:

Sprinkler Buddy
05-21-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm heading back today and I will see how I can work something out. The more I thought of it.. I will do it for less to just get noticed in the neighborhood. Its a start for a bigger lawns.. Should I post a sign up on the property stated "Lawn care done by blah blah blah..call: xxx-xxx-xxxx" just an idea...:cool:

Great idea! Let the home owner know you'll cut him a brake if he lets you put up your sign and leave it up as long as you maintain his yard. A win-win!

Don't assume that's okay, get his permission for sign first.:)

bruces
05-21-2011, 09:55 AM
are you at all handy with repairing a mower?if you are,check out his mower and swap him a cut for it if your interested in it .This will probably have him be happy its out of his shed ,and will make it harder for him to fire you so he can do the yard himself since he will need to purchase a new mower .Even if you dont want-need the mower ,I would be interested in a deal on it and re-sell it for a profit .

Byron3243
05-21-2011, 09:29 PM
I like bruces idea. You could also offer him some kind of refferal program. If he recomends you to a neigbor and you sign them he gets a discount.

Steve
05-23-2011, 04:34 AM
Yea I would definitely ask him for referrals in the area and if he could give your business cards out to his neighbors.

Keep us posted on how this turns out.