PDA

View Full Version : Dry Patches

seanbsean
05-21-2011, 07:03 AM
Client has a couple of dry patches of grass. Plus a ton of weed on the property, any suggestions on what I can do? Weed & feed or grass seed?

Sprinkler Buddy
05-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Does this customer have irrigation? If so, I would first check to see if those dry patches arn't caused from lack of water.

I would go with the grass seed. If you kill the weeds that are currently there, they would only be replaced by more weeds because more weeds will come up before the grass. You would also have dirt patches in between the time it takes the weeds and grass to come back. When mowed regularly the grass will often choke the weeds out themselves.

seanbsean
05-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Customer has never done anything with their lawn. The property size is very small and has lots of weed and some dry patches. I'm going to give it some extra TLC - so I should seeds to the dry patches and some Scotts weed & feed to his existing lawn.. would that be start?

Sprinkler Buddy
05-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Sounds like a new account. He probably didn't have his lawn cut often enough and the weeds kept maturing and putting new seeds out. Regular mowing from here on out will slowly reverse this issue. Seeds can lye dormant for years, better to have a green weed yard and wait for the grass to come back with time in my opinion. I would just feed,seed, and mow.

Steve
05-23-2011, 05:27 AM
I would just feed,seed,

What kind of recommendations would you have for that?

cruzgardening
06-18-2011, 04:03 AM
Client has a couple of dry patches of grass. Plus a ton of weed on the property, any suggestions on what I can do? Weed & feed or grass seed?

hi there can you show some pictures? waht type of grass does your client have? i had the same issue in several of my accounts and they all had different issues some had bad irrigation, other had Aeration problems and others just needed fertilizer give us more info and we might be able to help u

Fisher
06-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Like Sprinkler Buddy said, seeds can lay dormant, and the weed and feed seems to work for established weeds but you still have all the seeds that's been distributed recently. You would need to weed and feed once a week for a while to go that route. It's best as I explain to our clients as well to cut the lawn before the weeds seed. Just because the grass didn't grow much last week doesn't mean you shouldn't cut it as the weeds are growing faster as well as slowing down the lawn from becoming healthy again.

mark123
06-19-2011, 02:29 PM
As suggested show some pictures if possible. Some of the lawns around here get dry patches because people put an inch of topsoil over an old sidewalk and every year when it gets hot they get a nice brown strip where the sidewalk used to be. Large rocks under the surface can do the same thing. Get a soil probe and see if there is anything just below the surface.