PDA

View Full Version : John Deere GS30

Byron3243
05-17-2011, 09:25 PM
I just bought a used GS30 in a 36 in. that is gear driven. I have never ran a walk behind before, always a ztr. Im hoping it will cut my trimming time down in small lawns. Any tricks or tips would be appreciated.

Steve
05-19-2011, 03:48 AM
What is the background story on why you decided to go with the walk behind vs the ztr's you have been comfortable with using?

Byron3243
05-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Well for one the price. I can buy a used walk behind much cheaper than a ztr. But the main reason is i have a few steep slopes and the walk behind is much safer. I also have a variaty of small lawns and big lawns and once i get comfortable with the walk behind i think i can b more effeciant doing smaller lawns with it, then use the ztr on larger ones. Third thing is I didnt have much more room on my trailer and didnt want to have to buy another one. The walk behind fits but a ztr wont.

I bought a 36" so i can get through walk through gates, before I had to push mow them. If I get to the point i really like it i will go buy a new 48" and just use the 36 where i have to get through gates.

Im off to a very bad start with it though. My guy was on it yest. and the clip that holds the front wheel on came off, not realizing it he popped the front end up the wheel came off and ran over it with the blades on. This machine has timmed blades on it and it came out of time. The blades started hitting each other and broke the timming belt. I have never seen blades tore up so bad.

To top all this off the john deere dealer had to order the parts including the blades. I thought it was very crappy they didnt have them in stock.

CCL
05-21-2011, 06:00 AM
Well for one the price. I can buy a used walk behind much cheaper than a ztr. But the main reason is i have a few steep slopes and the walk behind is much safer. I also have a variaty of small lawns and big lawns and once i get comfortable with the walk behind i think i can b more effeciant doing smaller lawns with it, then use the ztr on larger ones. Third thing is I didnt have much more room on my trailer and didnt want to have to buy another one. The walk behind fits but a ztr wont.

I bought a 36" so i can get through walk through gates, before I had to push mow them. If I get to the point i really like it i will go buy a new 48" and just use the 36 where i have to get through gates.

Im off to a very bad start with it though. My guy was on it yest. and the clip that holds the front wheel on came off, not realizing it he popped the front end up the wheel came off and ran over it with the blades on. This machine has timmed blades on it and it came out of time. The blades started hitting each other and broke the timming belt. I have never seen blades tore up so bad.

To top all this off the john deere dealer had to order the parts including the blades. I thought it was very crappy they didnt have them in stock.

My helper did mine the same way.He hit a water meter and bent the blades and broke the belt.To me this is a bad design.I too bought mine only for small gated properties.That about the only time I use it.It cut my time in half vs the old push mower.

Byron3243
05-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Yea i dont like the design eather, and its another belt that you have to worry about. It wasnt really my helpers fault and didnt bother me to much until i went to john deere and they didnt have the parts in stock. That really irretated me. I called 3 dealerships and none kept them. I guess we just have to live and learn.

CCL
05-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Well Its ironic.Mine jumped time I guess cause my blades are toast and I didn't hit anything.I also broke a drive belt on my DC..Got home I had a tree down in my front yard.Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Steve
05-23-2011, 04:39 AM
This machine has timmed blades on it and it came out of time.

Is this because they cross over each other's path?

Yea i dont like the design either

Do you not like the way the front wheel is attached or were you referring more to the timed blades?

How difficult is it to get them back into position?

Byron3243
05-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Yea the blades cross over in each others path. I dont understand why they would design it like that. Its not that hard to adjust back in time. lossen a couple bolts and adjust, then tighten them back

CCL
05-24-2011, 12:01 PM
My blades are shot.Bent all to heck.

Steve
05-25-2011, 03:20 AM
Did it effect the spindles at all?

What do you feel the total cost in repairs to be to get it running again?

CCL
05-25-2011, 06:50 PM
It almost messed the ends up to where they wouldn't lock onto the spindle.Got them on and mowed and works fine.I spent 42.00

Martywdx
05-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Is there an advantage to having timed blades, ie a better cut? I would be very leery of a set up like that. Is there any way to shut the mower/blades down when the blades become out of time before they damage themselves ?

Byron3243
05-25-2011, 08:51 PM
It cost me about 75 dollors becouse it broke the timing belt also. My guy was able to shut it down quickly so it just beat the end of the blades up. I ground them down and i think they would be fine in a pinch. As far as i can tell the spindles are fine, but im sure it wasnt good on them. Its a good thing becouse the spindles for it are almost 300 a piece.

As for advantage with timed blades as far as I know there is none. But I also know the GS30 was a popular mower at one time.

Steve
05-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Is there an advantage to having timed blades, ie a better cut?

The only benefit I can think of is that you could pack more blades into a smaller area under your mower. Although the design wouldn't take advantage of maximizing the cutting width across the three blades due to the overlap. The design sounds dangerous to me though for the reasons stated above.

CCL
05-30-2011, 01:59 AM
I see no advantage at all.Actually I think it creates a disadvantage.I will always be worried now why or how it got out of time to begin with.The only thing I know I did was cut some extreamely high/wet grass and maybe it put a strain on the timing belt.Other than that I haven't a clue.It cuts very well and has saved me time on my gated properties.I wish I'd never sold my "yellow deck".It was the best setup John Deere had.

mark123
06-04-2011, 07:20 AM
The advantage of a timed deck is that you can overlap the blades without offsetting them. That way the deck is only as long (front to back) as the blades. I'm sure it's a money decision on the manufacturer's part, smaller deck, less material, more $$$ for them. They also get to sell replacement timing belts.