PDA

View Full Version : Buying Used Equipment

nickeckes
05-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Hello all, i am new to the fourm and have been reading and searching around for a few days. . i tryed to find this on the fourm because i am sure someone mentioned it someplace. ( and i no people hate when others re-ask a question) :)

I was just wondering what your guys thoughts are on buying decent used lawn equipment, rather it be a push mower, a basic rider you would buy at like sears or home depot, or a commercial zero-turn. . Also what to look for when looking at buying either of those!! Also what do you think to many hours are for a mower that has a hour gauge???

Thanks

JMADEWELL09
05-15-2011, 01:04 AM
well i buy a lot of used equipment last year i bought a craftsman riding mower for a $100 the guy said it didnt run i brought it home and cleaned the carb and put new battery and it been running good ever since that was last july and a week ago i bought a john deere zero turn homeowner model for $300 i have also bought a commerical honda hrc216 mower at a yard sale for 40 bucks and it runs good it didnt at first the carb was gummed up but got it clean and it been good mower, I also got a hrc215 honda mower for 130 from my lawn mower mechanic he found it at a second hand store, i also found a commerical john deere pushmower 14sc for 100 bucks, i did buy a new craftsman riding mower this year but i got a better deal on the used equipment. I have 4 riders and 10 push mower and 5 echo weedeaters 5 blowers. When i do buy new equipment my guys dont treat them kindly and by a week its broke so i figure it cheaper to buy used equipment.

nickeckes
05-15-2011, 01:57 AM
what about this?

http://appleton.craigslist.org/grd/2381853743.html

BELOW WHAT ADD SAYS WITH PICTURE. . .

Troy Bilt 33" wide area - walk behind mower. 8HP - Recoil start - 87 hours. 4 speeds forward, 1 reverse. (2) spare blades (new-never used) Fresh prep. Ready to go to work. First $200.00 cash takes it.

shadrach
05-15-2011, 11:45 AM
87 not a lot of hours & $200 not a lot of money. Check belts & oil - see if there is any play in spindles. Homeowner or guy mowing for money with it?
87 hours on the same blade seems high - probably not much on maintenance either. May have to put money into it on the front end but doesn't seem like a bad deal if it runs and is something you plan on keeping for awhile.

nickeckes
05-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Well i ended up buying it today, paid $200 for it like he wanted, just had the carb rebuilt and an oil change, and he said a new Trans belt. . this thing runs top notch, starts everytime on the 2nd or 3rd pull, my grandma could start it. . so i start mowing my own lawn with it to try it out before i use it on any customors lawns and i get almost done mowing and the trans belt falls off, so i put it back on, but still seems like alot of play in the belt,only thing that i can see that tightens the belt on there is where you adjust the handle that you have to pull that makes the mower move. . (hard to explain). so we'll have to see next time i mow with it the guy said the belt was new so who knows.. :confused:

bruces
05-15-2011, 06:39 PM
the belt might be the wrong one [a little long ],or maybe it just needs an adjustment .Check with the dealer on the correct belt for the machine ,then go from there .

Steve
05-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Here is a checklist of things you should consider before you buy any used equipment (http://lawnchat.com/?p=640).

Warning: read this before you buy a used mower. (http://lawnchat.com/?p=640)