PDA

View Full Version : Mulch job

berrong
05-14-2011, 03:37 PM
I need help on pricing, Customer got red mulch cost me $18 a scoop times 6. I made 3 trips to his house it cost me $100 in gas, now this is a 6 bedroom 2 story house in a very nice subdivision i put mulch all the way around the house it took me roughly 5 hrs labor and 45 mins driving one way. So he already owes me $208. He is a friend of mine so I want to be reasonable but still make good profit. I was thinking $100 in labor thats seems fair but then again it seems kinda cheap.

Dragger
05-14-2011, 04:00 PM
I got 85 a yard delivered and spread but i was paying 10 more a yard then you are

I need help on pricing, Customer got red mulch cost me $18 a scoop times 6. I made 3 trips to his house it cost me $100 in gas, now this is a 6 bedroom 2 story house in a very nice subdivision i put mulch all the way around the house it took me roughly 5 hrs labor and 45 mins driving one way. So he already owes me $208. He is a friend of mine so I want to be reasonable but still make good profit. I was thinking $100 in labor thats seems fair but then again it seems kinda cheap.

Steve
05-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Did you give him any kind of estimate before you got started? Or how did you work this out initially?

How long did this take you in total with driving?

6 hours? 7?

What are you looking to charge per hour on average?

berrong
05-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Did you give him any kind of estimate before you got started? Or how did you work this out initially?

How long did this take you in total with driving?

6 hours? 7?

What are you looking to charge per hour on average?

No estimate he just called me one day and said he needed some mulch, I had never seen his house before so i had no clue as to how much, a price or anything. 6 Yards later 4.5 hrs driving and 5 hrs labor its done. I havent had much experiance with mulch so i was just trying to get a base price. Dragger says he gets 85 a yard so if i charge 75 a yard times 6 = 450!!! to me that seems outrageous but then again i wouldnt know.

Fisher
05-17-2011, 01:26 AM
The way I price my mulch jobs is actually controlled somewhat by the supplier. I usually get mulch from The Mulch Company (not sure how big they are or if any of you may be familiar with them). Their retail cost for mulch is $24-$42 per yard to have delivered requires a 5 yard minimum and $50 delivery fee. They have landscapers (basically a list of ones that buy mulch from them like myself) that they will call to install it for you. Though I'm not sure what they charge for the installation I know they pay $29 per yard spread. So I know they will sell midnight mulch for $33x5 =$165+$50delivery and another $150 installed plus tax would put their total right at $400.

My last mulch job was 5 yards spread at two inches. The mulch I used cost $18 per yard while the retail was $29. Cost me $120 total with fuel (I hauled in one trip as one of my trucks will hold nearly 7 yards). Total ordered and installed directly from the supplier the homeowner told me would have been about $370. I had already bid this job at $325 so they went with my bid and paid an extra $25. Round trip from home and back I spent 4.5 hours and $120 on this job.

Now had the drive time and distance been further I believe everyone would charge a little more for delivery putting the mulch companies rate average closer to $80 per yard delivered and installed.

Steve
05-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Now had the drive time and distance been further I believe everyone would charge a little more for delivery putting the mulch companies rate average closer to $80 per yard delivered and installed.

What is your suggestion as to how best to come up with a labor price for mulch installation? Do you find you just tie the number in with the amount of mulch being installed or does it vary based on other factors?

Also, how do you handle a delivery charge? Do you make that a separate line item in your invoice? Is it just the cost of gas or is it more than that?

lawnsape
05-18-2011, 10:23 PM
the way I normally price mulch in my area is by the yard of course the more yards I will give a little price break. But I usually charge around $50.00 per yard that's labor and material up to about 20 yds after that I go down to $45 per yard and if it is a semi (100yds) or more $40.00 I will charge more if I have to drive further so the price I would have charged for your job is $400.00 And that is giving your friend a break considering the amount of driving you did. 300.00 for the muclk install and the $100.00 for gas. I think that is very reasonable.

berrong
05-19-2011, 06:09 PM
So I ended up charging $450.00 He acted like it was no big deal so i guess everythings good :)

Steve
05-20-2011, 06:03 AM
Congratulations!

Keep us posted on how this job goes. I'd love to hear some actual times that it took to complete the different parts of the job and the total time.

Also, show us some pictures when you are done!

berrong
05-21-2011, 01:40 AM
Congratulations!

Keep us posted on how this job goes. I'd love to hear some actual times that it took to complete the different parts of the job and the total time.

Also, show us some pictures when you are done!

Will do. I got to go back some time and build a retaining wall ill take pictures then.

CCL
05-21-2011, 06:56 AM
I usually charge 3o bucks a yard to spred it.So if I have to put out 5 yards of midnight it usually runs 60 bucks plus tax.Depending where I get the mulch too.I try to stay close to the job site if possible.

Steve
05-23-2011, 05:23 AM
I usually charge 3o bucks a yard to spred it.So if I have to put out 5 yards of midnight it usually runs 60 bucks plus tax.Depending where I get the mulch too.

Was that $30 a yard to spread?

Can you tell me how then the 5 yards then runs $60?

CCL
05-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Oh sorry.lol.
If I put out a yard of midnight it would be 60 or 300.00 for 5.(plus tax) My bad.That's me buying the mulch too.

Steve
05-25-2011, 04:19 AM
Does this change at all between residential and commercial customers? Is the price effected at all if you have to dump the mulch in one spot for a commercial client and then haul it from that spot to the individual locations around the property?

CCL
05-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Not really.Wheelbarrow use is what dictates an increase.