PDA

View Full Version : Paperless...good idea?

tiedeman
02-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Is it a good idea to take your business totally paperless? *And by paperless I mean billing, scheduling, payment, etc.

Is it better to have a paper backup in case your computer crashes? *Or is that what external drive back ups are for?

Weigh in with the pros and cons and whether you have any experience with this.

Steve
02-09-2007, 10:40 AM
You know this is a very good question. It made me immediately think of the 2000 presidential elections how messed up things got and how sometimes having a paper trail is a good thing. I think there may always be need for some sort of a paper trail. Especially when multiple people have access to financial data.

Some of the other things I think about: You still get a paper receipt when you purchase something at a store even if you purchase with a credit card. I don't know if we will see that change either.

tiedeman
02-09-2007, 10:58 AM
I know what you mean. It would be great to do it. Not have to worry about storing all of the documents, being environmental sound, saving money on paper and ink supplies, and perhaps even saving time

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
02-14-2007, 07:40 PM
We had that paperless mantra at my former place of employment. Even after more than 10 years of trying to reach that goal, its not happening. The recieving end is the problem. Incompatable or missing software for word processing, e-mail, fax, and so on screws it all up. Some legal rules of evidence and discovery didn't help either.

I've acquired a laptop, a small printer, and an inverter so that I can bring my office with me. I'm on a small enough scale I should be able to do scheduling for my per diems, print invoices, estimates, enter payments, maybe credit card sales, etc, all from my truck. Won't be totally paperless, but pretty close as a few of my older customers refuse to own, use, or are just not comfortable with computers enough to pull it off.

To prevent loss of data, daily back ups will have to be done. Can't forget data security either. Wireless needs to be encripted, at home and the air card if used, and passwords to get into the programs changed regularly.

A progress report will follow later in the season with pros and cons. I'm optimistic knowing the limitations I face.

tiedeman
02-14-2007, 08:16 PM
About years and years ago when I was in college, they put in a system of where everything was paperless, it was manditory too, not a option. Grades, parking permit registration, payment of tuition, etc. was alll done online. No paper involved at all. It was pretty dramatic and took a lot of people by surprise, but people finally conformed to it.

Steve
02-14-2007, 08:33 PM
One of the big problems with paperless I think is that most of the times, data just isnt backed up and systems crash.

I think this happens more often than you would ever have any type of problem that would destroy your paper receipts.

The more we rely on computers, the more we need to get into the habit of backing up data.