PDA

View Full Version : who to do?

CHEESE2009
05-12-2011, 08:57 PM
You know when rain is predicted, you want to get everyone done right away?!

What happens when you can't, and at the start of next week;

Do you;

a) stick to the schedule, it rained on their day (not your fault) they will have to wait until next time.

b) do the lawns which hadn't been done (due to the rain previously) BEFORE the lawns on your schedule.

********-

If you choose "b", what happens if rain is once again predicted? You end up upsetting all of your clients by trying to be fair?

****************-

Also, customers tend to say "you didn't show up last time" when it had been raining, as if it's my god damn fault and I'm supposed to give them something.

I'm having a very stressful beginning of this season. I now love lifting my heavy bags of grass and smashing them in the trailer to let off some steam. I'm at the point of telling some customers to get lost. I'm sick an tired of their attitudes. My first response to the next irritation will be, "find someone else, goodbye".

I have 12 messages from people wanting to hire me, I have no interest in taking them I'm so fed up with this crap. No one is useful enough to help me out down here. Just some idiots who want to make a buck for doing nothing.

Ducke
05-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Wow I really feel for you man
You are having a hard go of it this season.
Try getting a hour or so me time.
I sometimes just go to an old dead end road were there are no houses and shut off the truck sit there real quite and then scream my guts out pound the steering wheel and hit the dash then sit there a little longer and have a great laugh.
Then its back to life and all it troubles again.
One good thing I did pick up on is all your problems make mine seem so small I got it pretty good.

Thanks Cheeze
Graham

CHEESE2009
05-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Well I failed anger management. I tend to keep it inside now only because of the consequences I received awhile back. It's getting really hard to keep my cool lately and I've already smashed quite a few things.

The worst part is I end up making things worse when I try to let my anger out. It's nearly impossible to stop. I have extreme anxiety issues and I go into "caveman" survival mode. I had to get a wheel alignment along with cleaning the interior of the truck as I ended up throwing everything near me into the glass which lucky for me, didn't shatter. Today, my dethatcher is waiting for garbage day - it bounced out of the trailer and it's totally messed up.

Being outdoors and getting sun is supposed to make people feel positive, but I believe there is a point when I would become fried.

To get some me time sounds good, but that's how I feel every day. Every day it's just me, it's too much ME and nothing else. I go crazy alone which I why I'm attached to most of my clients. Woman are out of the question, they just add more stress and nothing more.

shadrach
05-12-2011, 10:01 PM
One option is to "split the difference" instead of 3 times in 3 weeks do it twice - still go in order of when they are normally done and space it to where the 2nd cut gets you back on track.
Another way is to do the smaller ones first and work your way up - doesn't get you there any faster but feeling like you have accomplished something lifts your spirits a bit.
If you have that many people wanting to hire you then quote them a little higher than what you have been charging. Use the ones you get to replace the ones that are complaining the loudest.
The hardest lesson for me to learn was that you cannot make everybody happy. People can hire/fire any lawn guy they want. You can hire/fire any customer you want too. Its supply and demand. If you have lots of time & few clients you put up with more. If you have no time & lots of clients you choose who you want to work for.

CHEESE2009
05-12-2011, 10:18 PM
I get no respect.

There's nothing stopping me from driving to the end of the world.

cruzgardening
05-13-2011, 04:37 AM
I get no respect.

There's nothing stopping me from driving to the end of the world.

you get tons of respect here bro i really think the people who you hangout with should completely change specially the clients that give you a hard time haha good times man

but i think you should keep it fair and let your clients know they can pay extra for you to work in the rain and lets see what they say, the ones that say ok charge them 3 times ur usual service fee :)

Steve
05-13-2011, 04:07 PM
I have 12 messages from people wanting to hire me, I have no interest in taking them I'm so fed up with this crap. No one is useful enough to help me out down here. Just some idiots who want to make a buck for doing nothing.

Scott,

Often we talk about the importance of answering phones and getting back to people. Are these messages from new potential customers or current ones?

If they are new potential customers, could signing them up and replacing some that are irritating you be helpful?

Or what is your view on this?

Robc
05-29-2011, 12:50 PM
I always mow in the rain anyways. Ive been pretty frustrated and mad at some properties but most of the time I dont like to get to far behind. And my toro 36" will not catch at all in the rain. But as long as its not a down pour why not put the rain gear on and mow? Its alot slower but if you are by yourself the only hourly wage is your own.
Or take a day off and mow on the weekend? unless you work 7 days a week.
Or hire a helper????

mark123
05-29-2011, 07:59 PM
a) stick to the schedule, it rained on their day (not your fault) they will have to wait until next time.

b) do the lawns which hadn't been done (due to the rain previously) BEFORE the lawns on your schedule.

If they cancel because it's too wet or raining then the answer is A. If I give up for the day because of rain then it's B. If it's my choice I always start when I stopped and just play catch up until I do. Sometimes that means burning every ounce of daylight on the mower but skipping lawns means skipping money.

If they cancel me because of muddy brown tracks then screw 'em. They can wait. My business runs my way and the customer is not going to tell me to treat my other customers poorly to cater to them. Especially when they have a $22 lawn that already only gets cut twice per month.

I did buy a rain coat this year so that I can keep going on days that would have stopped me before. The cut quality really suffers but at least I knock them down. :)

Dragger
05-29-2011, 09:51 PM
I normally try to keep them in order but i am not as busy as you so i have a couple free hours at the end of each day i can use to play catch up on the dry days

But this yea has been bad for rain for sure

Robc
05-30-2011, 01:55 AM
If they cancel because it's too wet or raining then the answer is A. If I give up for the day because of rain then it's B. If it's my choice I always start when I stopped and just play catch up until I do. Sometimes that means burning every ounce of daylight on the mower but skipping lawns means skipping money.

If they cancel me because of muddy brown tracks then screw 'em. They can wait. My business runs my way and the customer is not going to tell me to treat my other customers poorly to cater to them. Especially when they have a $22 lawn that already only gets cut twice per month.

I did buy a rain coat this year so that I can keep going on days that would have stopped me before. The cut quality really suffers but at least I knock them down. :)

Thats what im talking about. every customer ive had has always been understanding when it comes to mowing in the rain and the cut doesnt turn out as good as a dry day one