PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Price this Property

TouchtonsCLC
05-10-2011, 04:05 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f124/bigwillee/Commercial.jpg

The arrows point to hedges, 4' - 6' tall. Owner only wants a rough cut of the front of the hedges (inside facing).

The white areas are limerock, with the darker areas inside of the white areas being tall, broad-leafed weeds.

Mowing on the sides and around the pond. Those areas are unlevel.

A LOT of string trimming work here.

To give you an estimate of size, pictured in the top left-hand corner of the property are semi-trucks.

The property manager said that he's talked with larger landscape companies that said they'd come out and give him a price. Two to three weeks past and they never show-up. It is my opinion that they drive up to the property and drive away because of the condition.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not I want to bid this. I'm looking for your input on pricing, as close as you can based on the picture and these facts alone. What do you think?

wellbiz
05-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Its hard to tell what kind of hedge it is and how overgrown it is. If I were bidding it I would probably charge around $1.00+ per linear foot. But it will depend on your equipment and what you need to charge to cover your costs etc. If you drive by and get some better pics we might be able to help you out a little better. Looks like a 1/4 mile of hedges.:eek:

Steve
05-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Have you measured the total length of hedges you need to trim? Also how tall are these hedges now. Will your current equipment allow you to easily cut the hedges back or would you have to spend time manually cutting some sections?

The white areas are limerock, with the darker areas inside of the white areas being tall, broad-leafed weeds.

I am not sure I am following this part. Almost the entire area looks white, so where would the darker areas be? What would you do to these areas? Line trim them down

Mowing on the sides and around the pond. Those areas are unlevel.

Is the pond running vertically along the left side?

How long are you estimating it would take you to mow/line trim the grass there?

TouchtonsCLC
05-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Have you measured the total length of hedges you need to trim? Also how tall are these hedges now. Will your current equipment allow you to easily cut the hedges back or would you have to spend time manually cutting some sections?
My current equipment allows me to do the hedges, which are about 4'-6' long. I have not yet calculated the total length of the hedges, but if those semi-trucks are 22', then the hedges are 616' long.

I am not sure I am following this part. Almost the entire area looks white, so where would the darker areas be? What would you do to these areas? Line trim them down
Line trim them. They are scattered throughout the white areas.

Is the pond running vertically along the left side? Yes.

How long are you estimating it would take you to mow/line trim the grass there?

I'm not sure, but the entire job is going to take me a day. I am an owner/operator with no employees as of yet.

Another thing to consider is that this picture does not show all of the supplies that they have around the perimiter of their property. This is a construction vendor/distributor with equipment in the yard.

I guess what I'm getting at is this: at what point do you decide to take a job or leave it on the table? What things should I consider that I've missed? Of course I'd like the money, but how can I be sure it is worth it?

Steve
05-11-2011, 02:12 PM
I guess what I'm getting at is this: at what point do you decide to take a job or leave it on the table? What things should I consider that I've missed? Of course I'd like the money, but how can I be sure it is worth it?

This job may be a lot bigger or different than previous jobs you have worked on or bid. That's ok.

Break down each service and give your best guestimate for the amount of time you feel each will take. Chances are, you will still need to add at least 20% more time on it due to the scale of the project and the tendency to under estimate job times.

So how long are you thinking each service will take you?

Then you can multiply your hourly rate and present that as your bid.

If you are estimating the times properly, you should make more for the day working there than you would if you had to visit multiple locations throughout the day.

LynnCo
06-05-2011, 02:24 PM
curious if you bid on this, if so how much and did you get it?

mark123
06-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Steve, didn't you have a picture of a guy mowing some hedges with a push mower suspended on the side of his riding mower? I think that's what's needed for this job.

I'd suggest a mild bull dozing of the hedges. Push them into the pond. Either that or just drive away like the other companies. :p

Steve
06-06-2011, 05:34 AM
Steve, didn't you have a picture of a guy mowing some hedges with a push mower suspended on the side of his riding mower? I think that's what's needed for this job.

Yea I remember that one :)

I haven;t heard any updates on this job either.

TouchtonsCLC, any updated?