PDA

View Full Version : Grass up to my... ummm... butt.

Hedgemaster
05-08-2011, 01:20 AM
Seriously. The grass was up to my A$$!!!

I got an estimate request via email, from an out of town potential client - "If it's $60 or less, go ahead and cut it. If more than $60 send me a quote."

$60???

Are these people on CRACK?
The front was only about 15'x20', but the back was the width of the house and about 60'-70' long.

$60???

Did I mention that there are STUMPS hidden somewhere in the tall grass? At least she warned me about them. I spoke to a neighbor while there to look at the place... "Watch out for the stumps if you cut that", he said. "You'll bend a shaft for sure!"

$60???

And poop. Lots and lots of dog POOP. From a BIG dog!

$60???

Methinks not.

shadrach
05-08-2011, 08:10 AM
When you quote it, send a picture or 2 with the quote. They might just not be aware of how bad it is?

bruces
05-08-2011, 11:12 AM
go hack it down to a managable level with a sharp sythe ,then cut it .

Hedgemaster
05-08-2011, 11:34 AM
When you quote it, send a picture or 2 with the quote. They might just not be aware of how bad it is?

She knows. She was "home" a week ago. It's surely grown some since, but she knows...

Hedgemaster
05-08-2011, 11:39 AM
go hack it down to a managable level with a sharp sythe ,then cut it .

Honestly. It's not going to be worth my time/effort/risk to equipment even if I charged her $100. (IF she was willing to pay that)

A sythe? I didn't think anyone knew what one of those were any more. LOL

bruces
05-08-2011, 12:09 PM
I have one at my camp ,we use it to clear the old farmers field behind my place ,and you can clear a lot of area in a big hurry ,2 foot blade,swinging through a 180* arc cuts a lot in a hurry .I bought mine in the early 90's ,its a high teck one with an aluminum handle l.o.l. ,think it was about $30.00 at a farm store ,but you can find old ones around easy enough too because people are too lazy to use them [or,they just bought a damned tractor ]

elrascal
05-08-2011, 01:11 PM
The guns and roses song comes to mind...

Welcome to the jungle!!!!!!

CHEESE2009
05-08-2011, 04:13 PM
LOL!!!

What would be better in a forest, a scythe or a machete??

I notice that the blades on most machetes wobble a lot, never used a scythe on anything lol...

It's a good tool to scrape the underside of your mower!

bruces
05-08-2011, 04:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx_PDiEjW_E

check out this sythe vs string trimmer .

Hedgemaster
05-08-2011, 07:35 PM
LOL!!!

What would be better in a forest, a scythe or a machete??

I notice that the blades on most machetes wobble a lot, never used a scythe on anything lol...

It's a good tool to scrape the underside of your mower!

Cleaning under your mower? Perhaps you are thinking of a sickle?

I used a machete last year to hack down a patch of Japanese Knotweed.
Big fun.

Maybe I should have taken this job. I had to take a cat to the ER today. $170 worth of "walk through the door, give him fluids, and anti-nausea medicine."

Ugh.

CHEESE2009
05-08-2011, 10:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx_PDiEjW_E

check out this sythe vs string trimmer .

That video made me really angry lol.

I wanted to shout at it all the way through.

Steve
05-09-2011, 07:27 PM
I'd love to see some pictures from this job site.

Hedgemaster
05-10-2011, 12:13 AM
I usually take a lot of pics, but when I decided "screw this", I only took two shots of the stuff up front to show my wife. I should have had the guy I was talking to stand in it to show scale, but trust me, that stuff is up to my a$$...

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Estimates/IMAG1967.jpg

Steve
05-10-2011, 07:17 PM
WOW, you are certainly putting your mower through the paces!