PDA

View Full Version : mulch calc.

CFD192
05-06-2011, 12:37 AM
I got a question. Have many of you used the mulch calculator and had success with it. I have been using just an eyeball effect and have been coming up around 4 yards short....The reason I ask is I have to put in a bid on two jobs and with measurements on both the one comes to 57 yards and the other comes to 60 yards, yes there is alot of mulch 2500sq ft house with mulch all around it. My question is how do I bid on something like that? i have been doing $80 a yard, but the would be $4600 and I don't think they will go for that. I will have 4 people working and I see at least 2 full days work. PLEASE HELP!

Steve
05-06-2011, 01:42 PM
A little while back we had a discussion on a mulch install job (http://lawnchat.com/?p=2279) and the lawn care business owner said

I had a similar job last year that required 30 yards of mulch around a line of trees. I charged $2,200 (mine was the lower bid) including digging that edge, cleaning some debris, delivering the mulch and spreading it. It worked out alright and I learned how to better estimate my time because of it.

So, if you were to double the size of this job from 30 yards to 60 yards, you would also double the bid price from $2,200 to $4,400.

That would be very close to your $4600 bid.