PDA

View Full Version : Please help with back pain

jasonw
05-05-2011, 11:27 AM
I hate to say it but this has me on the edge of quitting. Things are going supper for me right now, contracts are coming in daily and big ones but my back is killing me. I have no idea what I did to it, I hurt it about a year ago but got the all good to go letter from the doc but now I cant handle a trimmer for more than 30 minutes without being in excruciating pain for a couple days. For small residential yards this is fine but I am doing large properties of several acres and commonly have a trimmer in my hands for at least 2 hours of the day. I know the trimmer is not really that heavy but hard to hold for so long so I use a strap which helps greatly but my back still ends up hurting. Is there anything out there for people with back problems to use to help this? Maybe some sort of harness or somthing?

CHEESE2009
05-05-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your back pain!

There is a product called a "back brace" you might want to look into.

Also, an old remedy which apparently works; Put a large coin on your back and light a piece of paper on fire, then place a glass upside down over the coin.

When the air gets "removed" the suction will help ease your back pain.

For a true answer, look into various "sports gels" anything blue that smells extremely minty will do the trick. Rub that on your body, wash your hands and you'll notice a difference right away.

I'd also recommend taking some "Robaxacet" you kind find at any pharmacy. It will ease the tension and help that back pain disappear.

commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1gOTAgQJQ4)

Be very careful with your soar back. You don't want to overdo it! Your body is once again trying to adapt to taking on so much activity. It shouldn't cause you any problems once and after it has gotten better.

jasonw
05-05-2011, 01:16 PM
I have tried a back brace but it dose nothing for me, I pulled my lumbar about 12 years ago and 2 years ago when I hurt my back the doc said my spine was crooked and 3 ribs were popped out of alignment. Thats when I got the brace from him. My wife put some Ben*** on the spot that hurt last night and other than getting hot it really did nothing. I even spent a small fortune on a walk behind trimmer to get the strain off my back but it can only do so much. I know its got to be the trimmer doing something funny because thats the only time it starts to hurt.

jasonw
05-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Oh BTW no worries I wont push it at all. I would rather hang up the trimmer for good than be in a wheel chair or as crippled as my father who has had 7 surgeries on his back. No way will I push it.

CHEESE2009
05-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Well I really hope you are safe.

There have been days where my body just felt awful. I couldn't even move out of my bed I was in so much pain. Usually it happens at the start of the season, my body gets overworked more than it's used to. Then the next morning the pain kicks in. My body and yours is trying to adapt.

After 3-4 days you should feel a lot better. It's all from overworking your muscles. When I was a personal trainer, I'd always tell people to not get ahead of themselves. At the moment of doing repetitions with weight, my clients may feel as though they are able to continue and do more than I had recommended for them to do - the outcome was that their muscles weren't able to repair the damaged tissue in such a short period of time, leaving them almost paralyzed for days. Lifting heavy weight causes the tissue in your muscles to tear/stretch - when you rest your body repairs that tissue increasing it's overall size/strength. If your tissue is teared/stretched too much, your body will need more time to repair.

I've even forced myself to get this negative effect just to understand it better. The only thing that will truly help is rest. Do not continue to work until you feel better, it will only get worse. If it gets really bad, you wont be able to fall asleep due to the unbearable pain. If it gets to the unbearable point, your immune system will weaken and this could become a serious issue.

There is medication out there to rid you of the pain, but it's wise to continue to rest as the damage is still there. Check in with a pharmacist and he/she will help you out!

jasonw
05-05-2011, 02:01 PM
I know for a fact its not just sore muscles though. I am going back in to the back doc and hopefully its not permanently damaged. You see it dose not wait until the next day to hurt. If I weedeat for say 1 hour after 30 minutes it gets tight and I get a stabbing pain in my left side on my back. By the time the hour is up I can NOT bend down to set the trimmer down, I HAVE to carry it back to the truck and put it on the tailgate. I cant even bend down to fill the mower with gas once this happens. Normally by the next day I can bend down again but the pain sticks around for 2-3 days before going away. ITs hard to explain, I know what a sore muscle feels like so I can say with 100% certainty that this pain is not a sore muscle.

ToastedToad
05-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Sounds like a pinched nerve. Probably sciatic. I have this same problem. Killed my back in my first stint as a landscaper, too many rock walls! All I can suggest is to stretch every morning before starting work. Maybe do some yoga in the evenings to loosen you up. Not a whole lot we can do about it once our backs a ruined.

A good adjustment from a respected chiropractor may help some too.

jasonw
05-05-2011, 02:27 PM
So in your experience, if this is the same problem as you mentioned there is no fix for it? fix meaning long term permanent fix to make my back 100% again like it use to be back in the day.

ToastedToad
05-05-2011, 02:49 PM
So in your experience, if this is the same problem as you mentioned there is no fix for it? fix meaning long term permanent fix to make my back 100% again like it use to be back in the day.

In my case...no. I've never been back to 100%. But I can still work all day long as hard as ever, just in pain.

I think though that with proper treatment and care, a person can heal their backs to a point that they can work and still be productive. See a good doc, do exactly as they say, take care of yourself, and do the best you can. Sorry I can't be of more help.

bruces
05-05-2011, 02:50 PM
my lower back is horrible,I am 6'5" and worked the hell out of my body ,and every spring for about the last 10 years I usually cant even walk for a month or so .Anyway ,the brace sometimes helps ,but I have an inversion table that works wonders for me [I spend probably an hour a day on it],and of course my hot tub [I have used it a few times a day for the past year] .I have found that wearing the brace before I do anything is the best way to keep from hurting myself ,but once the damage is done,the brace is not too beneficial .Ibuprofin is good,but after awhile it bungs you up which is hard to take when your back is sore .

jasonw
05-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Bruce, Ibuprofen is awesome but it has lost it effect on my back. I could deal with it if I could be productive but I cant even bend when it gets that way. People see me clambering to the ground to fill a mower and the last thing they want is me working for them as they worry about being sued or something. I put out an add today as well. It has yet to be answered but I figured the #1 fastest fix was to hire somone to handle that one duty that hurts me.

CHEESE2009
05-05-2011, 03:05 PM
I good way to lesson the damage would be to get a new mattress.

Maybe your mattress is old and warped. Try flipping it to start.

Also take note of your sleeping position. If you rest on your side, put a pillow between your legs to keep your spine aligned.

jasonw
05-05-2011, 03:41 PM
My entire bed is only a month old, you make a good point though and that is sleeping position. I sleep on my back. Sometimes even leading on the headboard as every now and then I fall asleep with the laptop on my lap.

I good way to lesson the damage would be to get a new mattress.

Maybe your mattress is old and warped. Try flipping it to start.

Also take note of your sleeping position. If you rest on your side, put a pillow between your legs to keep your spine aligned.

CanadayLandscaping
05-05-2011, 07:31 PM
I know back pain all to well. 2 years ago I had a herniated disc in my lower back. After an 8 hour surgery to repair it, I am not pain free, but a heck of a lot better off. Running the trimmer bothers me to this day. My back tires quickly. I have found a few things that help when it's really acting up.

1). A back brace, not the cheap ones or the ones you see guys wearing at Lowes or Home Depot, but custom made, girdle type. Not really a fashion statement, but it helps.

2). Massage cushion in my truck for the ride between jobs.

3). Looks strange, but on a really long day, I will pull over in a parking lot and just lay in the back of my truck for a half hour or so.

4). See the Doctor. Many times a does over steroids or a cortisone shot helps.

Sorry to say, you will probably never be 100% again. Just a fact... Learning to live with and deal with the pain is the best thing.

As far as sleeping positions go, try sleeping on your side with a pillow between you knees, it will sometimes help.

Good luck!

ToastedToad
05-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Plus never sit on your wallet!! Doctors orders!

CHEESE2009
05-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Alright, this is hilarious/scary!

I woke up this morning with unbearable back pain. I couldn't go to work.

LOL, contagious or what?!?!?!?

I'm so angry haha! I'm going to drug myself up with meds and see what happens.

CHEESE2009
05-07-2011, 12:34 AM
So I took my meds right after my last post, I fell asleep. It's now 1:30AM and I'm awake.

My back is still in bad shape, lol. It just doesn't make any sense, talking about a soar back gave me a soar back!!!!!

LawnMoore
05-07-2011, 01:52 AM
I had just posted this on my other forum, so i copyd iyt, im too high to type it again..

*see a doctor..

I was unloading my truck today to go do some estimates and pay bills..

Grabbed up my 8c.ft weelbarrow, and went down, was stuck in the back of my truck praying oh god please help me ..

Got my neibor over to help me and soon figuered out there wasnt going to be any help there, had to call 911 for an ambulance. After 2-3 xrays and an mri, i slipped a disk and it is pinching a nerve from the swelling. Well a few doses of deloitta or whatever it is, and about 9 hours of resting in the hospital, im out and home. Got myself a large script of percocet, and they said if that dont help come back for something stronger. Also muscle relaxers and uhm.. steroid antibiorics or inflamatory medicine, something liek that.. anyhow, I hope Im better by next week

So i could be on more in the days, or if it gets worse i might be out a few days.. Thought id let you guys know,

BE CAREFULL LIFTING!

nnyparts
05-07-2011, 03:46 AM
Had you given any thought to a trimmer on wheels? I see it tends to be a norm of back pain from most landscapers with most doing heavy manual labor most of their lives.

edsaws
05-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Find some lower back exercises on the web and start doing them if you can. Isn't an instant cure but will help in the long run.

CHEESE2009
05-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Well I've been taking all sorts of nice drugs. Including some sort of patch on my back.

Slept with a pillow between my legs this entire time.

Did the following exercises;

1. Sit on a chair and slowly put my head near my knees with my arms dropped to my side.

2. Went into the Muslim praying position
http://images.ummali03.multiply.com/image/1/photos/upload/orig/RyjwuAoKCsMAAGqPWeY198/6.jpeg?et=HRnqJK0gGBbCS7AbLBpSxg

I woke up an hour ago and SO FAR my back feels a bit better. I still feel that if I make one wrong move, I can totally screw myself up lol.

jasonw
05-08-2011, 08:12 PM
So now your high, up in the midle of the night AND your back still hurts? Lol

So I took my meds right after my last post, I fell asleep. It's now 1:30AM and I'm awake.

My back is still in bad shape, lol. It just doesn't make any sense, talking about a soar back gave me a soar back!!!!!

jasonw
05-22-2012, 07:17 PM
UPDATE:

Nothing has helped yet. I went and did some work at our other house and after 5 hours of using both SP and push F&B mowers as well as a trimmer my back was killing me, its always my upper back, just right of center. I tried the wheels idea and it did not work ether. I do use a strap but its because I have no choice, without it the pain comes a lot faster and a lot worse so at least a strap helps a little bit. Today 2 days later my back is still sore meaning when it happens it is hanging on longer, normally by the next day I am a ton better but this time its dragging out. Doc says my back is fine, meaning NOT injured but that does not mean its just not wore out. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

mark123
05-22-2012, 07:22 PM
When I pull my back out nothing helps except going to my chiropractor.

Just avoid those kooky ones that believe that adjusting your neck can cure canceralergiesmigrainesanddeath. Just stick to the guy that electrocutes you for 20 minutes, hits you with the jackhammer and then twists you into a pretzel to pop things back into place.

I'm going to quit offering pruning because the money just goes from the customer to the chiropractor. I don't even get to touch it.

krzys666
05-22-2012, 07:40 PM
try red wing shoes. they are lifesavers.
also you may want to try a good message therapist.
my mom is one and it really helps.
she usually gives me one every week or two

brian'slawncare
05-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Your back will take a few months to heal! You are going to have to baby it for a number of weeks, then do no heavy lifting for about another month! I know this sounds long, but it is what it is...

Maybe hire someone to help with the trimming?

JeffK26
05-22-2012, 08:09 PM
http://www.goodfeet.com/locations/

Try this. A cousin of mine had back problems, the doc said there was no back injury and couldn't figure it out. He had custom inserts made for his foot made..... has not had a problem since.

CHEESE2009
05-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Sleep with a pillow between your legs, it helps keep your spine aligned.

Other than that, overdose on coffee, become superman.

FentonC
05-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Go swimming in a pool. This is by far the best thing for your back. I know people that have had horrible back pain and tried everything including a chiropractor on a regular basis but none of them helped nearly as much as swimming.