PDA

View Full Version : Hey

berrong
05-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi, my name is justin. I started my own lawn care business about 2 months ago and things are going pretty well. I started this looking to gain some extra money (Getting married in 5 months) I still have my regular job but i am finding it really hard to balance my schedule so i can do both, i currently have 5 lawns without doing any advertising now that I have everything ready to put out there im scared to do it. What happens when i have to much grass to cut? do i quit my regular job? if so what do you do for the off season when there is no grass to cut? I have thought about this many nights laying in bed and i still dont know what to do. Anyways im going to quit rambling or i will go on forever any advice would be greatly appreciated.

CHEESE2009
05-04-2011, 05:41 PM
You're in quite a situation!

1. We have way too many Justin's on this forum!!!

2. Alright, let's solve this problem.

So things are pretty serious on your end. You have a job, getting married, and want to run your so far successful lawn business.

The schedules will collide, that's a given. I have a few simple suggestions to start (before I analyze every aspect).

1. You stick with your regular job and invest for a later time. You eventually go into the business with a foreman, a man you pay to manage your business while you are focusing on your regular job. Only when your foreman is bringing more customers to your business, will it be time to quit your regular job.

You have a good chance of staying afloat. The money generated from your business (grass) can be given to your foreman which will pay him off. His job is to work, while you are the provider of the tools/equipment.

Have him sign a "Will not compete" contract, research it.

2. Ask to work part time at your regular job, but only when it makes sense. You don't want to have a smaller income, keep it balanced with what you were currently making. Slowly, you will soon be able to leave your regular job.

3. People get lazy, myself included. Every day is a day for advertising, rain or shine. Never stop advertising. You should use your weekends to hand out fliers to as many as 5-6 streets per shot. Update your craigslist advertisement daily. Have magnets on your vehicle at all times.

4. Use the customers you have now, to generate more customers. Offer referral benefits. Referrals are the best and least expensive method to obtain new clients!

bruces
05-04-2011, 06:46 PM
whats the story on your current job i.e. money,time,etc. compared to what you are making on lawns ? theres no good reason to give up a million dollar a year job doing something you love ,just to cut somebodies lawn for $100.00 a week ,but if you have a crap minimum wage job you hate then its another story .

berrong
05-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Well i work at a tire store 46 hours a week making 350.00 I spent roughly 7 hours cutting grass and made 305.00. And yes my job is crap i hate it!!!

CHEESE2009
05-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Well i work at a tire store 46 hours a week making 350.00 I spent roughly 7 hours cutting grass and made 305.00. And yes my job is crap i hate it!!!

That is a good reason to focus on your lawns more than your other job.

The money you had made for cutting grass, "$305.00" is that for the month, or per week?

Working at the Tire Store may provide you with, "$1,400" per month - if you can get your grass business to give you at least $1000.00 per month, you can make the switch and take it from there.

Steve
05-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Welcome to our forum!

i currently have 5 lawns without doing any advertising now that I have everything ready to put out there im scared to do it. What happens when i have to much grass to cut? do i quit my regular job? if so what do you do for the off season when there is no grass to cut? I have thought about this many nights laying in bed and i still dont know what to do.

How many customers would you like? Are there services you would like to offer in the off season to keep you going?

Why do you feel you fear getting too many customers? Wouldnt that help you make your decision easier?

berrong
05-05-2011, 07:06 PM
That is a good reason to focus on your lawns more than your other job.

The money you had made for cutting grass, "$305.00" is that for the month, or per week?

Working at the Tire Store may provide you with, "$1,400" per month - if you can get your grass business to give you at least $1000.00 per month, you can make the switch and take it from there.

the money from grass was about a 2 week time frame

berrong
05-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Welcome to our forum!

How many customers would you like? Are there services you would like to offer in the off season to keep you going?

Why do you feel you fear getting too many customers? Wouldnt that help you make your decision easier?

I would like to have enough customers to make the same amount of money in a month or more as i do at my current job, Im sure that is possible but im scared of the off season i cant think of anything to do other than firewood, I have lots of that but then again so does everybody else in the county

Steve
05-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Early on we have seen some new lawn care business owners get part time jobs to make it through winter but as things pick up and they have more money to budget across the entire year, they quit the part time job.

Can you offer snow plowing in the winter?

berrong
05-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Early on we have seen some new lawn care business owners get part time jobs to make it through winter but as things pick up and they have more money to budget across the entire year, they quit the part time job.

Can you offer snow plowing in the winter?

Yeah but it doesnt snow where i live lol